Author Topic: Asgard sheds  (Read 2990 times)

Asgard sheds
« on: 02 February, 2017, 08:33:44 am »
Hi there,

New to the forum and new to this particular problem.

ive just moved from a 5th floor flat with a lockable storage area to a suburban terraced house with a garden. At the moment the bikes are locked together in the kitchen which, for obvious reasons, is not a workable situation long term. I'm looking for some help regarding bike storage solutions. The house is a rental so I can't put wall anchors or wall mounted storage solutions in. Was looking at the Asgard shed and a similar Tesco storage solution. 

Does anyone have experience of the Asgard or other options? I've looked at the plant pot racks as well. Any help appreciated

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: Asgard sheds
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2017, 08:54:07 am »
I live in the same circumstances - rented terraced house with a back yard.  I have two Asgard sheds for my four bikes.

They're all right security-wise but the condensation buildup is terrible in the winter.  I bring the bikes in the kitchen one at a time to get properly dry, to try to prevent mould and mildew buildup.  My spare tyres were all hung up in the Asgard sheds and got absolutely covered in mildew, so I need to find an alternative solution for them.

If your landlord is open to you making some kind of raised platform for your Asgard shed, even if it's just a rectangle of paving stones on top of the yard floor, that might mitigate the problems somewhat.  The water running  along the floor when it rains probably contributes significantly to the condensation problem.  You need to check your landlord is happy for you to drill holes in their back yard as well.

Asgard fixed them to the concrete floor initially for me, and were mostly pretty good.  Initially they forgot to bring the correct drill with them (yes, seriously) and said they'd come back another day to do it.  A quick phone call to Asgard head office by me and that was remedied.  I understand they're subcontractors so bear that in mind.

Update us on how you get on?  I'd be interested to see what you decide to do.  I hope you find something that works for you.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2017, 10:53:07 am »
I asked a similar question a while ago. Still happy with my Asgard locker.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=46881.msg1706382#msg1706382

« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2017, 11:03:53 am »
I live in the same circumstances - rented terraced house with a back yard.  I have two Asgard sheds for my four bikes.

They're all right security-wise but the condensation buildup is terrible in the winter.  I bring the bikes in the kitchen one at a time to get properly dry, to try to prevent mould and mildew buildup.  My spare tyres were all hung up in the Asgard sheds and got absolutely covered in mildew, so I need to find an alternative solution for them.

A greenhouse heater might help solve that particular problem.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2017, 11:56:39 am »
Only if it's electric and if the shed is metal your meter will be spinning faster than ever.
A paraffin heater will add to the condensation.
Is the condensation not due to a lack of ventilation?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2017, 12:48:04 pm »
Only if it's electric and if the shed is metal your meter will be spinning faster than ever.
A paraffin heater will add to the condensation.
Is the condensation not due to a lack of ventilation?

Yes, probably.  There are ventilation holes in the shed but they're obviously not enough.

And there's no power to my back yard, so I'm not able to use a greenhouse heater.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #6 on: 02 February, 2017, 01:08:40 pm »
I've got the big motorbike Asgard, as we moved from a house with a double garage to one without a garage. It's had up to 10 bikes and lots of spares. I went for two panels with vents, and have had electric put in. We paid for Asgard to assemble it... in the rain in December. Money well spent.

No problem with condensation here, albeit we're on the side of a valley, and the wind rips through. I've only once found a bit of mould spotting on a pannier that I put away wet. Bikes dry out just fine in there. I've got a heater in there for if I'm working in there, and I have a motion sensor linked to my smartthings hub for extra security.

It's a lovely bit of kit - completely waterproof - still looks like the day it was installed, over four years ago. Only regret that they don't include something to wedge the door open - aforementioned wind means the door wants to slam closed at the first gust, and I have to wedge it with a skate ramp.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2017, 02:04:59 pm »
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 02 February, 2017, 06:02:59 pm »
Similar situation here.  Our cycles are too valuable to leave outside, and access to the back is awkward, so we just use the front room for bike storage / fettling.  Radiator set to minimum means everything dries out quickly.  (Top tip: If you're doing this and the carpet isn't knackered when you move in, some cheap lino would be a sound investment.)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9 on: 02 February, 2017, 06:15:19 pm »
I have two of these :  http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-storage/twin-bike-locker
We discovered that these take three people to move, when you stand inside them, plus someone outside to navigate (if you can stop them laughing)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #10 on: 02 February, 2017, 10:39:32 pm »
I asked a similar question a while ago. Still happy with my Asgard locker.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=46881.msg1706382#msg1706382

As I mentioned in that thread, Asgard don't make one the right size and shape for the space I had available. I ended up with a Trimetals one, which is very good and reasonably secure. It doesn't suffer from condensation internally, but I haven't really thought why. Like others here, I don't really store my best bikes in it though, because I'm lucky enough to have a better option.