Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625531 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #2400 on: 21 October, 2012, 04:36:47 pm »
Call me old-fashioned if you like, but I really feel the proper place for young couples who wish to straddle and grope each other should be a park bench rather than the end of the slow lane at the swimming pool.

Yeahbut at least in a swimming pool they're safe from interruptions by extremely well-lit cyclists.   ;D

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2401 on: 21 October, 2012, 07:47:54 pm »
Thanks, mobile provider.  I noticed yesterday my phone displays EE instead of T-Mobile.  I was expecting that.  I wasn't expecting to have to restart my phone to be able to receive text messages, the ones that have been backing up since early Saturday.  >:(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2402 on: 21 October, 2012, 08:34:09 pm »
Thanks, mobile provider.  I noticed yesterday my phone displays EE instead of T-Mobile.  I was expecting that.  I wasn't expecting to have to restart my phone to be able to receive text messages, the ones that have been backing up since early Saturday.  >:(

Nothing, Anywhere, innit?

Suspect my partner has not had problems because his phone is switched off most of the time. Mine still displays 'Orange', his displays 'EE'. My texts have come through fine.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2403 on: 21 October, 2012, 09:20:39 pm »
I never switch my phone off and at some point it automatically changed from Orange to EE. I haven't lost any texts. It's possible though that being out of range has had the same effect as turning it off and on again.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2404 on: 21 October, 2012, 09:34:37 pm »
I am puzzled as to why my phone displays Orange and partner's displays EE. They're on the same Orange account.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2405 on: 21 October, 2012, 10:00:36 pm »
I vaguely recall that there's a phone firmware thing, whereby it can display a 'friendly' name for a network in its recognised list, but will fall back to whatever's broadcast by the network for other networks.  On its stock (Orange supplied) firmware my phone identified giffgaff as "O2" (their wholesale provider), with Cyanogen firmware it's now heard of giffgaff.  Same network, same SIM.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #2406 on: 22 October, 2012, 09:57:50 am »
Part of a note that I placed under the wiper of a manager's car this morning:

'Ironic that today is the first day of Health and Safety Week and the theme is Driving Awareness, considering your driving behaviour this morning with reduced visibility and wet roads and your casual law-breaking with regard to the speed limit.'

>:(

« Reply #2407 on: 23 October, 2012, 02:20:40 pm »
I vaguely recall that there's a phone firmware thing, whereby it can display a 'friendly' name for a network in its recognised list, but will fall back to whatever's broadcast by the network for other networks.  On its stock (Orange supplied) firmware my phone identified giffgaff as "O2" (their wholesale provider), with Cyanogen firmware it's now heard of giffgaff.  Same network, same SIM.

They way it worked originally was that GSM handsets read the network name from the firmware (and if it wasn't there would display the MCC/MNC pair - numbers that said which country and network you were on). Firmware updates would update these.
CPHS (Common PCN Handset Specification) was brought in by Orange and One2One as extensions to GSM. They added things like ALS (alternate line service) for having more than one line on your handset, voicemail spool indicators and also a SIM field that contained the network name. A CPHS compliant handset will attempt to read the network name from the SIM, and if it cannot find it then will default to the name in the firmware. The name in the SIM can be updated over the air by the network sending a specially crafted SMS.

The CPHS document is now available on the net - http://www.scribd.com/doc/14454041/T3000450

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2408 on: 23 October, 2012, 05:47:43 pm »
milkandmore.co.uk: I had six milk deliveries per week when I started using you 10 years ago. You have, in stages, reduced this through five and four to the current three deliveries per week.
This would be acceptable if you then delivered FRESH milk. You do not, however.
If you don't buck your ideas up soon, I shall stop getting your 66p/pint eco-friendly glass bottles and resort to getting my milk more cheaply from Mr Sainsbury, freezing any excess in those handy plastic packs they supply.
Supplying Friday's milk on Monday, as you did yesterday, is unacceptable.
The milk I had with breakfast today was just starting to turn.
It is not high summer. If you don't shift, I will!

« Reply #2409 on: 25 October, 2012, 10:22:07 am »
I am puzzled as to why my phone displays Orange and partner's displays EE. They're on the same Orange account.

In my case I think it's due to one phone being a personal PAYG and the other being a business contract.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2410 on: 25 October, 2012, 10:23:24 am »
Clocks going back = no more after work strolls. Bah.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2411 on: 25 October, 2012, 10:26:42 am »
I leave for work when it is dark now. I get home when it is dark. Clocks going back? Bothered?

meh

I have tinitus. It's quite entertaining - air moving passed my ear sounds like far-off howling jet engines.

I have earache and eye ache as well. Less entertaining. Drank soluble aspirin, now feel like puking. even less entertaining.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #2412 on: 25 October, 2012, 01:05:35 pm »
Body, you need to seriously MTFU - a couple of days on the trot cycle commuting and a few early mornings in a row and you appear to be raising the little white flag!  Time for some serious winter base riding (and subsequent rest!) to get back to being somewhere near moderately fit.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #2413 on: 25 October, 2012, 07:02:44 pm »
Bloody Orange. When someone buys a SIM-free phone from you, stating that they want a phone they can use on any network, & you sell it on that basis, in what alternate reality is it reasonable to (1) lock it to your network, & (2) try to extract money for unlocking it?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

LindaG

« Reply #2414 on: 26 October, 2012, 08:58:16 pm »
My house is populated by enormous spiders AND massive great buzzy flies.

I mean, that's just not right.  Nasty things, all of them.

>:(

« Reply #2415 on: 27 October, 2012, 09:09:31 pm »
Ms AWL, standing by the doorway and talking to/at our son's friend's mother for an hour and a half instead of parcelling them out of the door a good deal sooner hugely disrupted our schedule this evening. In the end, said sprog was almost bundled out of the house by me as his antics were wearing distinctly thin towards the end. I think it's their turn next. And the next time he comes round here, as he is welcome to do, I shall do the farewells.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2416 on: 29 October, 2012, 09:42:55 am »
I am a miserable f^cker today. I was a miserable f^cker yesterday evening as well.

Why?  I am pig sick of people around me being rude and ungrateful. Probably going to come over all Victor Meldrew here, but young people are so effing rude, particularly at the dinner table.
Talking to a teacher on the weekend, she has the same problems in class.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Marco Stefano

« Reply #2417 on: 29 October, 2012, 12:24:17 pm »
I am a miserable f^cker today. I was a miserable f^cker yesterday evening as well.

Why?  I am pig sick of people around me being rude and ungrateful. Probably going to come over all Victor Meldrew here, but young people are so effing rude, particularly at the dinner table.

I am with you, mrcharly. I sometimes feel like walking away from the table, but I suppose it wouldn't help in the long run. I usually begin talking politely about something else with someone else, so rude interjections can be one-sided only. Polite people of the world, unite, please!

I am considering wildcat domestic strike action, or a go-slow (as slow as they are in the first place). I also feel like gathering Stuff (any Stuff that is in the Wrong Place) into a black bin-bag and putting it somewhere else, and adding to it until the problem goes away by dint of there being no more Stuff to take away.

« Reply #2418 on: 29 October, 2012, 12:31:41 pm »
You could both go on strike action, if you could stand it:

http://tinyurl.com/9hqtwem

« Reply #2419 on: 29 October, 2012, 03:42:38 pm »

I am with you, mrcharly. I sometimes feel like walking away from the table, but I suppose it wouldn't help in the long run. I usually begin talking politely about something else with someone else, so rude interjections can be one-sided only. Polite people of the world, unite, please!
The rudeness that set me off, yesterday included:

Complaining, loudly, about being asked to wait until everyone was served before starting eating.

Belching like an eruption from krakatoa repeatedly, mouth open, facing the table. When asked to not do it, responding with "It's a bodily function, you can't stop those." To which Mum responded with "So is poohing, but you don't do that at the table."

Not once saying "Thank you" for the food. Complaining about not being allowed to just have their favourite veg.

Shovelling food in mouth so fast some was falling out as more was pushed in.

When asked to bring dirty clothes out of room, throwing them from the top of the stairs.

I could go on.

I'm tempted to strike. But for that to be effective it would mean withdrawal of light, heat, power, internet . . . Some people in the family are polite and helpful. Wouldn't be fair to them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuzzy

« Reply #2420 on: 29 October, 2012, 04:28:36 pm »
Excluding thenm from the benefits of your labours may have an effect.

Seeing their family tucking in to an evening meal you have just dished up, whilst their share remains in the cooking pots, pans and dishes in the kitchen?

Responding to questions about where their clean clothes are with the response "Where you left them"?

Marco Stefano

« Reply #2421 on: 29 October, 2012, 07:36:10 pm »
I am thinking of asking 'What is in it for me?' when asked for something something is demanded.

« Reply #2422 on: 30 October, 2012, 09:29:07 pm »
I was bending down, picking up some bits of paper that had escaped from the skip, and when I stood up, I forgot about the housing of the gantry winch, and I bangeded my head on it.

And it hurted.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #2423 on: 31 October, 2012, 07:56:39 pm »
You could both go on strike action, if you could stand it:

http://tinyurl.com/9hqtwem

I do something like this every time I go and ride a long audax or work a weekend. It is most effective if you provide no potential junk/fast food and fill the fridge beforehand with broccoli and carrots.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2424 on: 01 November, 2012, 09:22:54 am »
I've just had a 5km diversion on the way into work as they had to close the gate I use due to a diesel spill. OK I accept these things happen, but to get to the other gate that the private not-policeman sent me to (without warning) apparently just took me back along more of the spill route than I'd already covered, so he just sent me to ride 4km of roads that were known to be covered in diesel :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!