Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625513 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3350 on: 06 May, 2013, 08:01:46 pm »
Schwalbe Blizzards! >:( One puncture on Thursday, then two in one ride (one for each wheel) today! You're going in the bin, I'm afraid, lest I ever be tempted to retrieve you from the shed again.

Oooh, if you don't want them, can I have them to turn into something else?

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3351 on: 06 May, 2013, 08:02:43 pm »
Looks like I'll miss the Rollright Stones ride because of family-related stuff :(

On the one hand I still get to have a decent length ride (here to my parents' place is about 85 miles) but on the other I'll be missing an opportunity to meet new people1. Damn, blast and arsebiscuits :(

1 - obscure relatives don't count.

« Reply #3352 on: 06 May, 2013, 08:06:17 pm »
Schwalbe Blizzards! >:( One puncture on Thursday, then two in one ride (one for each wheel) today! You're going in the bin, I'm afraid, lest I ever be tempted to retrieve you from the shed again.

Sure. I've got a bagful of tubes I've been meaning to give to you at some point too!

« Reply #3353 on: 06 May, 2013, 09:08:33 pm »

Sure. I've got a bagful of tubes I've been meaning to give to you at some point too!

Cool! Do you want me to come and collect them sometime? PM me...

« Reply #3354 on: 07 May, 2013, 03:44:52 pm »
Whilst I'm not exonerating the Blizzards, this is prime hedge cutting season. A group of us got caught out on a towpath recently that was strewn with hawthorn cuttings. My usually hardy Schwalbe Land Cruisers succumbed & they are "puncture-resistant".
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3355 on: 11 May, 2013, 09:30:38 pm »
Could someone tell the BBC, Channel 4 news, & everyone else I've seen reports on the G7 summit from that Hartwell is NOT Aylesbury. I know it's very close (I occasionally walked there across the fields when I was a child), but it's still a village outside town, & is not part of Aylesbury either administratively or in the minds of its people.

The name of the building the summit is being held in might be a clue. It's not called "Aylesbury House".
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3356 on: 11 May, 2013, 09:59:04 pm »
Shoulder blade - I have no idea what I have done to you but can you please be stopping hurting now? :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3357 on: 12 May, 2013, 02:38:21 pm »
If I ever become one of those women who insists on swimming side by side with her boyfriend in a 2-way lane which just has room for single file, please take this as permission a request to drown me.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3358 on: 12 May, 2013, 02:44:51 pm »
It's taken me several years to realise that the title of this thread (minus the part after the hyphen) could be miscontrued as being a collection of everyone's favourite Frankie Vaughan collected from the Internet,.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #3359 on: 13 May, 2013, 01:46:20 pm »
There's a woman sat opposite me doing a "K'HERRrrrrm" cough every 10 seconds.

It's driving me bonkers. If she carries on I may have to sing my ear worm at her to get it out of my head.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3360 on: 13 May, 2013, 02:11:13 pm »
Hardware maintenance company, you are a bunch of useless workshy twats >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3361 on: 13 May, 2013, 03:56:53 pm »
Ouch ouch ouch!

Did a cycling facilities trial at TRL today - and came off. Didn't seem bad at the time, & I carried on with the trial, then cycled home. But now, my hip is complaining bitterly about being abused. I bashed it right on the head of the femur. Hardly any mark on the surface, but tender as hell when I press on the bone, & stiffening up rapidly.

Also got a scrape on my elbow, but that's just surface. Friction burn from cloth, I reckon - and the TRL first aider who they asked me to see when I'd finished also thought so.

Tight left turn, wet road, bit of grit on the surface, old markings painted over. I'm not sure which bit the back wheel went out on. Managed to pull it back, then went over the other way.  :facepalm:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3362 on: 13 May, 2013, 04:24:50 pm »
I hope you reported it and it was properly written up.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3363 on: 13 May, 2013, 04:34:14 pm »
<mutter> Well, I thought someone might think my link to Cmdr Hadfield singing Space Oddity in space was cool enough to say so. </mutter>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3364 on: 13 May, 2013, 04:41:40 pm »
<mutter> Well, I thought someone might think my link to Cmdr Hadfield singing Space Oddity in space was cool enough to say so. </mutter>

I think most of the internet saw it already, so didn't read the thread.  Anyway, we had an astronomer visiting.

For the avoidance of doubt, Hadfield wins the internet.

« Reply #3365 on: 13 May, 2013, 04:49:00 pm »

I think most of the internet saw it already, so didn't read the thread.  Anyway, we had an astronomer visiting.

For the avoidance of doubt, Hadfield wins the internet.

I only saw it first thing this morning* and posted it here straight away. I even had a quick look to see if it was already posted! As ever, I'm behind the times...

*Well ok, first thing when I got up, about 9.30...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3366 on: 13 May, 2013, 04:52:12 pm »
It was all over twitter last night.  Probably friendface and the like, too.  One of my friends has gone off on a whole Hadfield-worship thing.  By this morning, I'd started tuning it out.

And tbh, the Is Someone Singing live singalong with people across Canada was more awesome than the Bowie filk.

« Reply #3367 on: 13 May, 2013, 05:03:25 pm »
It was all over twitter last night. 

Oh that was my mistake, turning the internet off early last night to sit in bed and watch telly with MFWHTBAB.

Ok, so now I know I'm old hat, is it possible to download Is Somebody Singing (the version with the Bare Naked Ladies) from anywhere? I'd really like to have it on my shuffle list.

« Reply #3368 on: 13 May, 2013, 05:36:03 pm »

*shuffles apologetically*

I'm not on Twitter or the other one: I saw your post and got to see a video that I would otherwise have missed, so
a) thank you Arch!
and b) cool!

« Reply #3369 on: 13 May, 2013, 06:25:26 pm »

*shuffles apologetically*

I'm not on Twitter or the other one: I saw your post and got to see a video that I would otherwise have missed, so
a) thank you Arch!
and b) cool!

;D
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #3370 on: 13 May, 2013, 06:29:29 pm »
Two PCSOs standing in side street by school to stop anti-social parking - good. BUT, <50 yards away, folk were parking on zig-zags outside the school entrance and they were totally ignoring it!!! I did have a word.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3371 on: 13 May, 2013, 08:01:17 pm »
I hope you reported it and it was properly written up.
Reported? Witnessed by at least 10 people, both trial participants & TRL staff, & I think it was on camera. They logged it as an incident without any prompting. Two forms filled out, one by a manager & one by the first aider. Sensible description on the manager's form, noting the possibility of the state of the track being a contributory factor. Not that I'm intending to sue them - certainly not if it's no worse than I think it is.

Stuck a big anti-inflammatory patch on it, & it's eased off a bit, but I expect it'll be bloody stiff in the morning.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3372 on: 13 May, 2013, 08:15:27 pm »
*Still* have armfail 5 days and counting.  Think I may have managed to bugger it in two places which are competing for failure which is why it's taking so long to recover.  I'm beyond digestive tolerance for diclofenac or anything else that works so being "careful" it is I guess...  BORING!

« Reply #3373 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:03:17 pm »
Dammit self, you booked today off as you were meant to be driving back from an Audax yesterday that you didn't sign up for anyway. You should at least have got some miles in, I know you were enjoying your computer game and I know it was all a bit blowy outside but what a waste of a days holiday  :facepalm: :-[

Ah well, I will say that the quick 8 miles round trip to a friend's house (to try on his jacket re sizing for my new one) was not very fun so I guess not getting the miles in isn't a great loss - somehow I had a headwind there and on the way back.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #3374 on: 14 May, 2013, 07:34:48 pm »
Sister: stop Facebook liking all sorts of shite that comes your way, such as PETA information. You are about as aware of these issues as every other Daily Heil reader, so you only like them to seem more "cred". The latest one about linking being proud, British and royalist, as if no other combination would work, drew a response that I hope makes you think, but I doubt it will.

And, by the way, you've already told the whole world umpteen times that you are flying off to Canada on Thursday, so we don't need/want the frequent updates about your latest pre-hols purchases. Paintball's Coming Home was written about you!!!