Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625773 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3625 on: 17 July, 2013, 09:34:07 pm »
I've got that too.  Was feeling pretty good (relatively speaking) yesterday.

Being too hot is hard work.  And now it's cooled down I'm too knackered to go for a bike ride.

« Reply #3626 on: 17 July, 2013, 09:52:52 pm »
Bugger, my two new pairs of shorts are too small, annoyingly I considered getting a pair each of medium and small to see but decided as my current ones are a small then 2x small would be fine. I will concede that according to the size guide it was borderline though.

Well, they are mostly too small, I have to hunch to avoid the straps pulling on my shoulders and the legs/waist are tight but the leg grippers are baggy  ???
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #3627 on: 17 July, 2013, 09:55:46 pm »
Why am I so knackered?

I'm assuming it's something to do with the v. high pollen count (or maybe temperature) but I've been severely lacking in energy for the last day and a half :(

I'm knackered too. I'm fortunate not to have a pollen issue, but it's just too hot. And working outside I don't get much respite from the heat. By the end of the day, I'm just a little puddle of misery!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #3628 on: 17 July, 2013, 10:01:42 pm »
It is quite pleasant to work in an air-conditioned office at the moment.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3629 on: 17 July, 2013, 10:04:40 pm »
It's quite novel to be working in minus 25 degrees C.

« Reply #3630 on: 17 July, 2013, 10:05:27 pm »
Ok, you win ;D

« Reply #3631 on: 17 July, 2013, 10:08:33 pm »
MFWHTBAB and I have been trying to arrange the next few weeks in our diaries, involving several different fixed events, including one weekend where I've committed to be in York on Saturday, but we want to help out at the West Lancs Railway gala on the Sunday, plus a workmate wanting to swap days off with me, and me struggling to work out which day to swap with him.

My Brane hurts!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #3632 on: 18 July, 2013, 11:51:57 am »
Yeah.

In the 1930s my maternal grandmother (born 95 years ago) was barred from some jobs* because although born in the UK to a British (English & Welsh) mother, her father was Danish, thus giving her dual nationality should she choose to claim it.

*She discovered this when she applied to join the Metropolitan Police & was turned down because of it.

I didn't think Danes did dual nationality. My mother remains Danish, despite having lived in the UK since 1956. Having been born stateless and acquiring Danish nationality as an adolescent, it's not something she wants to give up.
Current Danish law restricts dual nationality, but does allow it in such cases as that of my grandmother. She was Danish because her father was Danish & married to her mother (& the marriage was registered with the Danish authorities: they even had a Lutheran ceremony in the Danish church in London) when she was born, & British because the UK had a jus soli law (see below), i.e. birth here automatically made her British. I don't know if Danish law was the same back then, but I wouldn't be surprised.

British law did allow for dual nationality:

Any person who by reason of his having been born within His Majesty's dominions and allegiance or on board a British ship is a natural-born British subject, but who at his birth or during his minority became under the law of any foreign state a subject also of that state, and is still such a subject, may, if of full age and not under disability, make a declaration of alienage, and on making the declaration shall cease to be a British subject.
Pretty clear.

And since she was living in the UK, that's what counted.

Someone can be a dual national under the laws of one country, but not those of another, e.g. some countries (including the UK) require that renunciation of citizenship must be done before their own authorities, while others (e.g. the USA, Denmark) make it a condition of naturalisation to renounce foreign citizenships before their authorities. So if they only renounce their citizenship to the new country, the new country will consider them solely its own citizens, while the old country will consider them dual nationals.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3633 on: 19 July, 2013, 12:02:29 am »
Bit different for my Copenhagen born Mum then.

« Reply #3634 on: 19 July, 2013, 09:17:50 am »
Presumably to parents who were not Danish. AFAIK Denmark has always gone for jus sanguinis, i.e. parents count, not place of birth.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3635 on: 19 July, 2013, 03:45:41 pm »
Went into our changing room before cycling home at lunchtime.
Was is necessary for someone to leave a helmet and saddle with connected seat-post on one of the chairs?
And the post was greasy.
Strangely all thie bikes in the rack had saddles fitted already.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3636 on: 19 July, 2013, 04:06:48 pm »
Presumably to parents who were not Danish. AFAIK Denmark has always gone for jus sanguinis, i.e. parents count, not place of birth.

Indeed. Mum's parents were born in Germany in 1901. They left in 1933 for Denmark. Mum was born, stateless, in 1936.

AIUI  immigrants had to wait 15 years to be naturalised so family only gained Danish nationality in 1948.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3637 on: 19 July, 2013, 05:22:15 pm »
I can't remember how it worked but at one point in time it was possible to get a state less child if you mixed up the nationalities of Denmark and the UK along with sex of parents and location the wee born popped out.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3638 on: 19 July, 2013, 07:09:55 pm »
There has never been any doubt or difficulty about the fact that I am (3rd generation) BRITISH. Born in BRITAIN to a BRITISH1 father. I don't think I'm eligible for Danish nationality.

1) Dad was registered British at birth (in Antwerp) as his father was born in Hornsey.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3639 on: 19 July, 2013, 07:28:30 pm »
Hmm. Each of the four people in the house right now has a different permutation of nationalities, although they only represent two countries of birth. One of them has the nationality of a country he has never been to. No Danes here though!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3640 on: 19 July, 2013, 07:29:41 pm »
Actually, I've just realised that's not strictly true about the absence of Danes. There are lots of Lego characters!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3641 on: 20 July, 2013, 09:39:22 am »
I've just discovered that during high season (commencing 28th July ) the Caravan & Camping Club have a policy of a minimum fee of two nights.All sites.Nation wide.

Some in the Lake District have a 5 night minimum.

Robdogs >:(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3642 on: 20 July, 2013, 09:24:37 pm »
That's disgusting. 
Getting there...

« Reply #3643 on: 21 July, 2013, 12:26:51 pm »
It's probably what I would do if I was trying to make a living from running a campsite which was periodically oversubscribed.  :-\

They're usually more flexible for solo campers, especially if without a car.

Not much help for jogler, tho'.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3644 on: 21 July, 2013, 12:39:53 pm »
It's probably what I would do if I was trying to make a living from running a campsite which was periodically oversubscribed.  :-\

I shall satisfy myself by registering my dis-satisfaction via my wallet & not renew my membership.As I did with the Caravan Club, CTC & National Trust

These £-grasping fiscal policies are generating some economies in my subscriptions

They're usually more flexible for solo campers, especially if without a car.

This has always been so IME.
In fairness the C&CC have a policy of always finding a space for a solo walker or cyclist.

Not much help for jogler, tho'.

I might get a pitch if I arrive onmebike towing my caravan ;D

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #3645 on: 21 July, 2013, 06:15:46 pm »
MFWHTBAB and I have been trying to arrange the next few weeks in our diaries, involving several different fixed events, including one weekend where I've committed to be in York on Saturday, but we want to help out at the West Lancs Railway gala on the Sunday, plus a workmate wanting to swap days off with me, and me struggling to work out which day to swap with him.

My Brane hurts!

Well if you see Graham Fairhurst at the West Lancs gala (the owner of "Utrillas") say to him, "William asks if you've found the 1967 pictures of the Penrhyn tar boiler wagon yet? "  That'll fox him... Actually I must get off my arse and email him that question!

My next tricky bit is fiddling how to get enough time to go and work on "Monarch" on the other W&LLR (The Welshpool and Llanfair)  next week.  The poor old girl's a bit sad, but its her 60th Birthday on Weds 31st.
Wombat

« Reply #3646 on: 21 July, 2013, 06:29:38 pm »
Indeed. Mum's parents were born in Germany in 1901. They left in 1933 for Denmark.
Very sensible & forward-looking of them.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3647 on: 21 July, 2013, 07:10:12 pm »
People of the Netherlands, your driving sucks. I know you're used to cyclists being on the pavement, but puhleese.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3648 on: 21 July, 2013, 07:23:28 pm »
People of the Netherlands, your driving sucks. I know you're used to cyclists being on the pavement, but puhleese.

Brummies are also used to cyclists being on the pavement.  'nuff said.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3649 on: 21 July, 2013, 07:54:25 pm »
*Wishes Mrs. P had posted that on Birmingham Cycling*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.