Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626006 times)

ian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7325 on: 01 February, 2016, 03:28:52 pm »
*snort*

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7326 on: 02 February, 2016, 11:03:05 am »
Puzzling my way through a chunk of code with the usual house-of-cards data structure teetering in short-term memory. Suddenly "What's the difference between 3G and 4G?"  followed by "What's bandwidth?"

The missus wants to upgrade her phone.

Pick the "§$%&/( cards up, start over.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7327 on: 02 February, 2016, 01:43:27 pm »
I was once tasked with turning an encryption algorithm into code for the transmission of money. After a couple of days I asked for & got a ban on anyone talking to me while I was at my desk. It was accepted that each interruption took me back to the start of the section I'd loaded into my brain, & that pretty much all the time I'd spent on the problem up to that point had been lost as a result.

It went quite smoothly after that.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #7328 on: 02 February, 2016, 01:54:06 pm »
Puzzling my way through a chunk of code with the usual house-of-cards data structure teetering in short-term memory. Suddenly "What's the difference between 3G and 4G?"  followed by "What's bandwidth?"

I know you are busy, but you can stop for a minute, can't you?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7329 on: 02 February, 2016, 02:02:33 pm »

'One cup size' and 'height of material across your back'.

Mine's the dirty mac.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7330 on: 02 February, 2016, 02:12:36 pm »
The number is band size, not cup size.  And a bra of those dimensions is surely only fit for wearing on your head while computer programming.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7331 on: 02 February, 2016, 02:14:27 pm »

And we both know the answer, but on the other hand I didn't fancy cooking my own lunch.

« Reply #7332 on: 06 February, 2016, 02:54:11 pm »
Our internet, TV  and phone are all via VirginMedia. Over the last few months my tv box has been playing up, the remote is on it's last legs, the hub has developed a flashing that's always on and the router has started flashing and dropping our internet at rather inopportune moments.

Last time I called to complain I got the usual 'have to turned it off and back on' bollocks. That didn't work so they sent a man out who took out the card, wiped it on his trousers and said it was all working again, I'm not joking!

I phoned them today and to trim the conversation down, I told them to cancel the lot. I'll have my number diverted to a new number for a few months and start fresh with another provider.

Well, They're installing a new box, more channels, much faster broadband, super hub and it's all costing £20 per month less!!!!

There should be a law that makes them contact you to do this, grabbing swines.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7333 on: 06 February, 2016, 10:42:25 pm »

And we both know the answer, but on the other hand I didn't fancy cooking my own lunch.

I can be stood at my desk, headset on, obviously engaged in telephony and in she walks and starts distracting away ::-)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #7334 on: 06 February, 2016, 11:13:07 pm »
Earlier today I had Agadoo by Black Lace stuck in my head, and now its We Don't Talk Anymore by Cliff Richard.

I'm not a bad person - what have I done to deserve this?

(And now it's going to be the bloody Pet Shop Boys)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #7335 on: 06 February, 2016, 11:33:37 pm »
I can feel a cold coming on, and the whisky doesn't seem to be helping. Bah.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7336 on: 07 February, 2016, 12:35:19 am »

I can be stood at my desk, headset on, obviously engaged in telephony and in she walks and starts distracting away ::-)

In a nutshell...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #7337 on: 09 February, 2016, 11:34:22 am »
and I bet your work start time lines up nicely with school start times as well.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7338 on: 09 February, 2016, 11:49:50 am »
Sorry I deleted it as I was going to move it somewhere more private.

Summary someone is removing unofficial flexible working arrangements which is going to make my commute less pleasent and congestion in the area worse.

and I bet your work start time lines up nicely with school start times as well.

They are actually earlier than the school start times so that at least won't affect it. Not good for parents though.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7339 on: 09 February, 2016, 05:45:42 pm »
Okay, I'm bored of snot now.  I think it's getting worse.

« Reply #7340 on: 10 February, 2016, 10:45:50 am »
I hate coming back after having time off, 3 days and my desk is a mountain of paperwork, defeats the point of holiday time really.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7341 on: 10 February, 2016, 10:56:02 am »
^^^You should see mine.  After the trauma of getting last year's stuff ready for the immaculate tongs of the accountant last March ICBA filing anything any more. Just now I have to move my keyboard if I want the space to sign anything - and my desk is 200 x 100 mm.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #7342 on: 10 February, 2016, 10:58:21 am »
^^^You should see mine.  After the trauma of getting last year's stuff ready for the immaculate tongs of the accountant last March ICBA filing anything any more. Just now I have to move my keyboard if I want the space to sign anything - and my desk is 200 x 100 mm.
About the same size as a large smart phone then
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7343 on: 10 February, 2016, 10:59:51 am »
Dear world. When you're filming what ever trivial event on your phone for everyone to see, do it landscape. kthxbai.

On a related note: Dear the BBC.  Playing video clips on radio news doesn't work. We get confused noises for 15 seconds. (PM the other day had two such clips; one of the shooting in Dublin, one of a leopard in a school in India.  The one was indistinguishable from the other)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7344 on: 10 February, 2016, 11:10:30 am »
About the same size as a large smart phone then

Shit. Cm.

« Reply #7345 on: 10 February, 2016, 12:19:34 pm »
*&^@$!
For those of you who go shopping with teenaged-but-underage children: you can't buy alcohol. 

It seems that what the USAnians do we are doomed to emulate a decade or two later...

This isn't a recent thing in the UK, it's been around for several years. My daughters are 21, but could pass for 14. They get to wait outside.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7346 on: 10 February, 2016, 12:34:13 pm »
I'm sure I've bought alcohol in Sainsbusy's with my son in tow, and he's way under 18. Perhaps the point is he's sufficiently under 18 to make it obvious it's not for him? Or perhaps it varies by retailer, I don't know.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #7347 on: 11 February, 2016, 09:22:37 pm »
Viruses. Lurky little things. Seems one snuck in. I blame buses, they're sardined full of sick people this time of year. All snorty, coughy bags of infection. Now they're lolling (viruses, not bus passengers) about on the back of my throat, kicking back, making themselves mucus mojitos and generally being mildly annoying. Just my luck if they turn up the music later.

That's the minor symptom. I'm not sure how I missed it, because I'm pretty good at spotting elephants, but it also feels like one did the mighty, mighty elephant march on me and made all my joints go Billy Ray Cyrus. Especially my fingers. Weird. What kind of illness makes your fingers ache. I'm not Googling it, every time I do that I find out that I'm going to die. Invisible elephants are enough to deal with.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7348 on: 13 February, 2016, 12:47:07 pm »
Thanks to some spectacularly bad planning (I'm innocent) both my local train lines to town are inoperative this weekend.  That's OK, I'll cycle in to town for my monthly gig.  Oh joy, rain is back in the forecast and the drizzle has begun.  :(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #7349 on: 13 February, 2016, 01:09:14 pm »
Danm, the Independent is to cease print publishing.  That means my wife will want the Guardian delivered instead. Best of a bad (remaining) lot I suppose..
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)