Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625714 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13375 on: 28 June, 2021, 07:45:20 pm »
My mum always claimed that when she was small, being put through the mangle was an ever-threatened but never-delivered punishment.

I'm now wondering if there's a connection between mangles and mangle wurzels. (No! Of course not!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13376 on: 28 June, 2021, 08:30:19 pm »
My mum always claimed that when she was small, being put through the mangle was an ever-threatened but never-delivered punishment.

I'm now wondering if there's a connection between mangles and mangle wurzels. (No! Of course not!)

I thought The Wurzels had a combine-harvester (brand new)?

IGMC

« Reply #13377 on: 28 June, 2021, 08:53:20 pm »
Have you seen the size of a mangle on the front of the combine harvester?

ian

« Reply #13378 on: 30 June, 2021, 09:46:59 am »
footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball...
footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball...
footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball...
footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball...

Come on, give it a fucking a rest. Even women. It was once upon a time you could be reasonably assured of having a conversation with a woman that didn't involve the subject. But now it's also

footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball...
footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball... footballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootballfootballfootballengerlandfootballfootball...

I have a phone call with India, it's

Even the bloody Americans

soccerballsoccerballsoccerballsoccerballsoccerballsoccerballsoccerballsoccerballsoccerball...
soccerballsoccerballsoccerballsoccerballsoccerballsoccerballsoccerballsoccerballsoccerball...

I appreciate you enjoy your sport, but really take a fucking hint.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13379 on: 30 June, 2021, 10:04:08 am »
Just for ian…

(Runs away)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13380 on: 30 June, 2021, 10:11:48 am »
You’d think it was 1966 the way the tabloids (in particular) are reporting the outcome of the kickaround yesterday evening. And since when has Germany been the ‘old enemy’. Tossers.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #13381 on: 30 June, 2021, 10:47:03 am »
Reminded by the other thread:
why are sofas designed so that only ridiculously tall people can sit in them with their lower back properly supported (or so you have to pad out the back with a 2nd payer of cushions)  Given our ever tinier-roomed housing stock this is just a bad use of space.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #13382 on: 30 June, 2021, 11:39:16 am »
You’d think it was 1966 the way the tabloids (in particular) are reporting the outcome of the kickaround yesterday evening. And since when has Germany been the ‘old enemy’. Tossers.

As ani fule shud kno, France is the old enemy upon whom utter perdition must be wished and visited at every available opportunity.  :demon: ;) :P
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #13383 on: 30 June, 2021, 12:17:03 pm »

As ani fule shud kno, France is the old enemy upon whom utter perdition must be wished and visited at every available opportunity.  :demon: ;) :P

Surely there is only one old enemy:  the entire world.  That's the reality of post brexit dystopian England.

Of course, the real auld enemy is Scotland.   :demon:

ian

« Reply #13384 on: 30 June, 2021, 05:15:13 pm »
Reminded by the other thread:
why are sofas designed so that only ridiculously tall people can sit in them with their lower back properly supported (or so you have to pad out the back with a 2nd payer of cushions)  Given our ever tinier-roomed housing stock this is just a bad use of space.

Sitting on a sofa? Odd. I just lie down.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #13385 on: 30 June, 2021, 05:18:38 pm »

Last time I looked, Them Germans don’t regard Ing-ger-lund's foopball team as their #1 rivals anyway, because that honour belongs to the Dutch.  The night of the England-Germany game in Italia '90 some passing locals in Assen shouted “Deutschland unter Alles!” at us, which may indicate that they feel the same way.  And the barman was sympathetic when Ing-ger-lund lost, and bought us BEER.  We didn’t have the heart to tell him our party of six included an Irishman and two Scots :P

« Reply #13386 on: 30 June, 2021, 05:31:34 pm »

Last time I looked, Them Germans don’t regard Ing-ger-lund's foopball team as their #1 rivals anyway, because that honour belongs to the Dutch.  The night of the England-Germany game in Italia '90 some passing locals in Assen shouted “Deutschland unter Alles!” at us, which may indicate that they feel the same way. 

Well, the Dutch do have a particular beef with Germany...

The Dutch in particular have not forgotten the millions of bicycles stolen by the Germans during the war. A common Dutch taunt of Germans after the war was, “Geef me min fiets!” Give me my bike! On “Dolle Dinsdag,” or Rabid Tuesday, German troops panicked when the BBC announced that Allied troops had crossed the Dutch border (they hadn’t, in fact). Soldiers stole bikes from the general populace and rode out of Holland, with whatever they could carry.

https://www.campfirecycling.com/blog/2016/11/30/geef-me-min-fiets-give-me-my-bike-the-bikes-of-world-war-ii
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #13387 on: 30 June, 2021, 05:48:54 pm »
Oh indeed.

German: Can you tell me the way to $DESTINATION?
Dutchie: Not until we get our bicycles back!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13388 on: 30 June, 2021, 09:39:24 pm »
Let's face it
Dutch is to German as Scots is to English, and the 3 Scandinavian nordic languages are to each other.

It's the Icelandic and faeroese who are laughing at us all for over 1000 years of bastardisation.

Im not sure where the west frissians come in though, probably chewing the cud somewhere.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #13389 on: 01 July, 2021, 09:32:17 am »
Modern WC’s are rubbish. Their flush is pathetic (oh how I pine for our old syphonic device) and their refill time laggardly.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13390 on: 01 July, 2021, 10:32:32 am »
Modern WC’s are rubbish. Their flush is pathetic (oh how I pine for our old syphonic device) and their refill time laggardly.

One holiday gîte we stayed in had a hydropneumatic flushing device called La Trombe. When you pressed the lever the water fairly blasted into the pan. Would have scared the shit out of you if you hadn't already.

They're still available: https://www.leroymerlin.fr/produits/chauffage-plomberie/equipement-wc-et-accessoires-de-robinet/reservoir-wc-et-cuvette-seule/reservoir-pour-wc/reservoir-sous-pression-wc-trombe-trombe-57050196.html

The picture belies the beast within.  If you've ever experienced one of those water/air rockets taking off, double and redouble it in spades.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #13391 on: 01 July, 2021, 11:23:30 am »
Not sure I trust a site that wants you to complete a Captcha just to view their poxy catalogue  :-\

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13392 on: 01 July, 2021, 01:13:55 pm »

Come on, give it a fucking a rest. Even women. It was once upon a time you could be reasonably assured of having a conversation with a woman that didn't involve the subject. But now it's also

I have a phone call with India, it's

Even the bloody Americans

I appreciate you enjoy your sport, but really take a fucking hint.

You echo my partner...

ian

« Reply #13393 on: 01 July, 2021, 01:18:45 pm »
I am honestly happy for people to enjoy it, but I can't turn on the radio or TV, have any conversation – even with previously normal people – without the footballfootballfootballfootballfootballfootballfootballfootball.

And when I clearly show zero interest, they just carry on footballfootballfootballfootballfootballfootballfootballfootballing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13394 on: 01 July, 2021, 01:26:03 pm »

Thames water emailed me yesterday, inciting me to reduce my water consumption with their free gadgets. They can keep them! As far as I can see they all score 'own goals'.

I'll flush a 'water-saving' loo three times until the pan is clear; two gallons with a drop of 6 feet would be more effective than this push-button close-coupled rubbish.

I use my washing machine to remove dirt & smells from my clothes. I'll use it less frequently i it does this WELL; low temperatures, weak detergents, less water and slow spins might save water and energy in theory...

« Reply #13395 on: 01 July, 2021, 01:36:37 pm »

Thames water emailed me yesterday, inciting me to reduce my water consumption with their free gadgets. They can keep them! As far as I can see they all score 'own goals'.

I'll flush a 'water-saving' loo three times until the pan is clear; two gallons with a drop of 6 feet would be more effective than this push-button close-coupled rubbish.

I use my washing machine to remove dirt & smells from my clothes. I'll use it less frequently i it does this WELL; low temperatures, weak detergents, less water and slow spins might save water and energy in theory...

Notice how "laundry sanitiser" has became a thing?

Modern detergents may well loosen dirt even at cold wash temperature, but cold washing won't kill off the bacteria...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13396 on: 01 July, 2021, 01:38:28 pm »
I am honestly happy for people to enjoy it, but I can't turn on the radio or TV, have any conversation – even with previously normal people – without the footballfootballfootballfootballfootballfootballfootballfootball.

And when I clearly show zero interest, they just carry on footballfootballfootballfootballfootballfootballfootballfootballing.

During the 1998 World Cup the German TV channel ARD2 had hoardings reading "100% Fußball-frei".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #13397 on: 01 July, 2021, 01:49:03 pm »

I counter with the TdF and Wombledin. That at least gets them on to 'bloody cyclists'!

« Reply #13398 on: 01 July, 2021, 01:53:13 pm »
Wimbledon being on all afternoon all over the Beeb will at least provide a few minutes alternative viewing while the adverts are running on ITV4. :demon:

ian

« Reply #13399 on: 01 July, 2021, 01:57:39 pm »
I have no idea about Wimbledon, though I did once go – once upon a time, we had a corporate box thing – god that was boring.

I'm breaking with my sports-avoidance and watching the TdF highlights though, though I'm not entirely sure why. I fear all those slim young men in lycra could be somewhat homoerotic. It could push me over to the other side. Fortunately, once they get the commentators on it pushes me back.