Author Topic: Raleigh Ikea bike?  (Read 5241 times)

Raleigh Ikea bike?
« on: 22 April, 2011, 07:34:05 pm »
Are they any good? Theres one for sale around me that im a bit interested in, bit expesive but if i can get the price down.
Theres also a cheap Hercules folding bike thing(old folder with a 3 speed sturmey Archer hub) thats for sale
Im trying to get hold of a cheap-ish folder thats decent for the GF so we can try and get out on bike rides. Put the bikes in the back of the car and go.
Ive had a quick search but cant find much out about how the Ikea bike rides.
Can anyone shed any light? I remember when loads were being sold but cant remember how they were rated

Don't question. It makes people angry.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Raleigh Ikea bike?
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2011, 08:48:58 am »
IIRC the Ikea things were given to their staff as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago - loads of them appeared on ebay

Rob

« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2011, 08:52:31 am »
Cheers Rob. I know that, but how good are they? Are the decent or a bit crappy?

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2011, 09:09:57 am »
I was very pleasantly surprised by how nicely mine rode! I paid a ton for an unridden one 3 years ago just to take it on hols to France - and sold it for same when i got back! I don't think that suitable for much over 5'9" and 33" inside leg!

Probably one of the better folders at the sort of money they fetch.

Here's mine on its holiday:

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2011, 01:58:47 pm »
It will ride ok for something that's got a hinge in the middle . . .

For some forthright views on cheap folders check here
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Si

« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2011, 09:28:20 am »
I don't think that suitable for much over 5'9" and 33" inside leg!

yeah, I have a similar cheap Raleigh - very short seat post and to add insult to injury, it's a 25mm diameter one so finding a longer replacement is a real pain.  Not sure if the ikea also has the 25mm?

« Reply #6 on: 24 April, 2011, 12:29:50 pm »
Still not sure what to do. I'm in 2 minds. I have a cheap folder already that is sound, done a decent amount of miles and has a few upgrades.
I'm mainly after another folder and had the idea of getting the GF one. I know its not going to be used a huge amount and will be stored at mine.
So, I'm tempted to get a slightly better folder and use it for some commuting to work, going to the shops so I can take it in with me and put it in the back of the car.
For something like this what size wheel is better? 20 inch?
My commute to work is 8 miles. Shops are a few miles away and it will be used on cycle paths when I'm with the GF.
Any suggestions? Not a large amount to spend on one, say £300-400ish tops, so I'm not going to be able to afford a Brompton. Dahons any good? Something like the Dahon Cadenza solo?

« Reply #7 on: 24 April, 2011, 12:30:56 pm »
Torslander those folders look pretty good for the money after you have done a few mods, problems with them is me and my non ebay