Author Topic: 2 broken spokes on rear. go or no go 200km BRM?  (Read 2058 times)

2 broken spokes on rear. go or no go 200km BRM?
« on: 05 December, 2014, 05:46:46 am »
I'm currently down under and while pumping up my tires i found out there are 2 broken spokes on the rear wheel. Shops are closed, start is 6am. The wheel is rubbing the brakes. True the wheel and go, or forget it and repair it instead?
Its "only" a 200. I weigh under 70kg.
This is probably my only chance at an aussie brm though.

Brompton s2-lx is the bike.
Advice welcome!
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: 2 broken spokes on rear. go or no go 200km BRM?
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2014, 07:16:09 am »
I rode a 1000k with a chap using Shimano 24-spoke wheels who finished with 20. They started breaking about half way.  True & go.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2014, 08:36:59 am »
My Brompton survived several weeks round London with a couple of broken rear spokes, then rebelled and broke more over another week or ten days. With six broken it was still ridable (though I did lose confidence in it and replaced the lot). I weigh more than you do, probably 80-85kg at the time.

No way am I going to advise you - but that's a(n anec)data point ...

Andrew

« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2014, 09:17:56 am »
Under the circumstances, go. It's a story, whatever happens!

Besides, what's the worst that can happen? Breakdown, phone call, recovery? Not so bad on the scale of things. Certainly worth the risk.

Caveat: it's not a out-and-back into the outback!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 05 December, 2014, 04:39:07 pm »
do you know anyone with some of those emergency spoke things?
why did the spokes break d'think?

« Reply #5 on: 05 December, 2014, 10:50:51 pm »
There have been found 2 emergency spokes and a nice bloke called Andy fitted them for me. I'm at the first control at 72k now.
I've had all the upright rider pains now, but I'm ok and so is the bike.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2014, 07:35:34 am »
Is that Andy Moore? Which part of Oz? The various groups I've ridden with have been great fun.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2014, 08:36:17 am »
I don't know his surname. The ride was "jump the gun" from Maryborough, Victoria.
I quit at the 2nd control at 124km. The headwind was harsh and my back can't handle the Brompton position that long. I told the 3 recumbent riders that were behind me that i'd finish the ride if i could switch bikes, but they didn't fall for that.
The company was great, I'd given up a lot sooner without them.

The temp spokes were ok, but there is a third broken spoke. I plan to visit St Kilda cycles in Melbourne tomorrow morning.