Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3009895 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24800 on: 06 February, 2020, 12:21:15 am »
I cycled to school in my final year. I used public transport from the ages of 11-17, never getting a lift to school and having a lift back twice, in a bid to return from  November O Level exams before the Sabbath.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24801 on: 06 February, 2020, 12:32:26 am »
I used the afore-mentioned tube.  Cycled a handful of times, once due to a train strike, mostly because of plans for an after-school Bike Ride.  It was a reasonable cycling distance, but along a horrid A-road that was best avoided in rush hour, and there was nowhere to park because the bike shed was used for storing exam desks.  Got a lift occasionally, usually because I was transporting something awkward like a CDT project or oscilloscope[1], but also to important exams or (on a couple of occasions) because $parent happened to be going in the right direction.  I think I may have walked the whole way home once because of some sort of transport chaos; type 2 fun in school shoes.

[1] Note for teenagers:  They were unwieldy CRT things in those days, and unimaginably expensive.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24802 on: 06 February, 2020, 09:12:49 am »
We didn't have a car when I was growing up: for me it was Shanks' pony for a quarter of a mile to the bus-stop, no matter the weather, then two buses across Belfast - quite a slog in winter.  Once I had a bike I rode every day unless the weather was too vile.  I was about 20 minutes faster on the bike, and the freedom it gave was wonderful. On occasion I used to visit friends' homes away out of town after school, and get home an hour or two later than usual. My mum must have been having kittens but she never let on.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #24803 on: 06 February, 2020, 11:36:36 am »
I had the opposite problem. I turn up at a Marriott in San Antonio. No reservation sir! Are you sure? Much tapping of computers and furrowing of brows. Time passes.

After about fifteen minutes. Perhaps you're at the Marriott across the road, sir?

I was. But really, you have two identically named hotels almost next to each other. Surely a solution to my reservation conundrum might have reached out and grabbed you more quickly.

Cedar City UT has a brace of Best Westerns opposite one another, though one might actually be a BW Plus.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #24804 on: 06 February, 2020, 12:52:23 pm »
We didn't have a car when I was growing up: for me it was Shanks' pony for a quarter of a mile to the bus-stop, no matter the weather, then two buses across Belfast - quite a slog in winter.  Once I had a bike I rode every day unless the weather was too vile.  I was about 20 minutes faster on the bike, and the freedom it gave was wonderful. On occasion I used to visit friends' homes away out of town after school, and get home an hour or two later than usual. My mum must have been having kittens but she never let on.

Families first car was when I was 12 but it wasn't much use as only Dad could drive it and he was at sea 9 months of the year.
Primary school was about 1.5 miles, no bus route and walking involved crossing 2 major roads. Mum walked me for a few weeks until I'd teamed up with a couple of other kids and we were on our own. Junior school was about 3 miles, 15 minutes walk and then two buses. Grammar school was about the same. From 10 onwards I had a deal with my parents that they would give me the bus money and it was up to me how I got there. Mostly I cycled and kept the money.

Yes there was less traffic in those days but what there was had skinny crossply tyres and drum brakes and the statement 'I drive better after a few pints' was still acceptable.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24805 on: 06 February, 2020, 12:56:13 pm »
We haven't had a car since Cdzzmc Jnr was about 3 but I don't think he's taken a bus more than three times in his life, and those were all last autumn for college open days, and I went with him. School is 5 minutes walk one way, friends 10 minutes the other way, paper round 15 minutes up the road, town a similar distance down it. OTOH he got a coach back from London on his own a couple of years ago (someone else bought the ticket).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24806 on: 06 February, 2020, 01:09:50 pm »
Yes there was less traffic in those days but what there was had skinny crossply tyres and drum brakes and the statement 'I drive better after a few pints' was still acceptable.

There was less traffic but bikes didn't get any more respect then than they do now.  There was one intersection in Belfast where the Albert Bridge Road splits off left from the Newtonards Road and I had to go straight ahead. Getting across two lanes of traffic bent on ignoring you without getting caught the old tramlines was murder.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #24807 on: 06 February, 2020, 08:15:19 pm »
I popped into the pub for a pre dinner pint.  As I stood at the bar, a lad rushed in calling for a can of coke to take out.
I sort of looked enquiring at him and he said, "Oh sorry mate, can I get served first?  I have to be home in ten minutes. "
He then pulled up his trouser leg to show me the tag. 
 :o
I've never seen one before.  They don't look very comfortable.

Of course I let him go first.  Not because I didn't want a demonstration of why he was wearing  it, but because I'm a nice guy.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #24808 on: 06 February, 2020, 08:29:40 pm »
I had the opposite problem. I turn up at a Marriott in San Antonio. No reservation sir! Are you sure? Much tapping of computers and furrowing of brows. Time passes.

After about fifteen minutes. Perhaps you're at the Marriott across the road, sir?

I was. But really, you have two identically named hotels almost next to each other. Surely a solution to my reservation conundrum might have reached out and grabbed you more quickly.

Cedar City UT has a brace of Best Westerns opposite one another, though one might actually be a BW Plus.

Yep - done that, last time was at an IBIS in St Omer, France - we went to the "red cushion" one but had a booking at the (cheaper) "blue cushion" branch down the road.   [Interestingly the one we stayed at overlooked an old-style concrete track open air velodrome . . . had a spin round on the Galaxy with panniers!!]

Rob

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24809 on: 07 February, 2020, 06:25:44 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51397915

Some fantastic blooming pubs in there, I'd be interested where the pubs without bars are, I've been to one in somerset, and there's one in Ely I'd say has no bar, so that's five left to tick off.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24810 on: 07 February, 2020, 08:01:47 am »
The Seymour Arms, Witham Friary. Nothing appears to have changed since about 1950, maybe even 1930.
The Blue Flame, Nailsea. Unlikely to be listed anytime!
Both in Somerset.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #24811 on: 07 February, 2020, 08:14:35 am »
"The Cock" in Broom, near Biggleswade. Staff have to go down the cellar and get the beer straight out of the barrels. Admittedly, I haven't been in there for quite some time, but I haven't heard of any changes.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #24812 on: 07 February, 2020, 08:22:26 am »
In the '70s we went, rather tentatively, into a house that appeared to be a pub only by a sign on the front door. Inside it was just a house with one room having table and chairs. Woman appears and takes our order, comes back with two pints.
No bar, list of drinks or anything. It was in The Lake District ISTR.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24813 on: 07 February, 2020, 08:27:13 am »
Sounds like Norn Iron. A couple of grammar-school chums & I once went to the TT races at Dundrod and stopped off at a pub that was practically indistinguishable from an ordinary house. Guinness and lots of sandwiches.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24814 on: 07 February, 2020, 08:57:07 am »
I'm told that's how the Blue Flame started (and still pretty much what it looks like, though it does now have a pub sign) but with cider rather than Guinness.

« Reply #24815 on: 08 February, 2020, 10:55:24 am »
Sounds like Norn Iron. A couple of grammar-school chums & I once went to the TT races at Dundrod and stopped off at a pub that was practically indistinguishable from an ordinary house. Guinness and lots of sandwiches.

Not just the Norn bit. Stayed in Cork a while ago, and went to a pub just down the road from our hotel. I think it actually was someone's front room.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24816 on: 08 February, 2020, 11:29:30 am »
That's it.  Nice and friendly.

« Reply #24817 on: 08 February, 2020, 11:40:55 am »
My ex-wife's family come, mostly, from Kilkee in County Clare.
When making the road trip there, we'd stop off in Clonmel where my ex had an aunt, who had a pub which was, in essence, the front room of her house.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24818 on: 08 February, 2020, 12:24:37 pm »
1. I went to the greengrocer's this morning and the total for my fruit and veg came to £9.99, which was, in the words of the girl on the till, "Satisfying."

2. One of my son's friends discovered yesterday that anyone with an iPhone within range can cast anything they want on the school's bluetooth speakers in the main hall and PE block. He wanted to cast I'm a Gummi Bear (this friend has strange taste), I suggested they wait till the last day of the year (it's their last year at school anyway) and do Alice Cooper. Of course he hadn't heard of Alice Cooper, yet.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24819 on: 08 February, 2020, 12:47:14 pm »
I preferred 'I'm Free' to 'School's Out' for my end of term song...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24820 on: 08 February, 2020, 12:49:42 pm »
"And freedom tastes of reality"? Not sure that's quite the message we want! (Even if it is a better song.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24821 on: 08 February, 2020, 08:34:33 pm »
Best to start off with Morse code at a frequency so high that it's only perceptible to teenagers...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24822 on: 08 February, 2020, 09:34:43 pm »
Unfortunately only old people know Morse code nowadays.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #24823 on: 08 February, 2020, 11:15:15 pm »
.. ·----· --     -. --- -     --- .-.. -..
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24824 on: 09 February, 2020, 08:00:21 am »
Unfortunately only old people know Morse code nowadays.

It was the great stumbling-block to getting your ham radio licence when I was at school. 12 words/minute you had to send.