Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2945549 times)

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24825 on: 10 February, 2020, 01:11:06 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/feb/10/christopher-eccleston-felt-was-going-to-die-depression-anorexia-books

An interesting interview with actor Christopher Eccleston, who sounds like he's had a very rough time with mental health problems.   It makes me wonder though what sort of treatment Joe Bloggs would get in similar circumstances,  I'd think there is quite a waiting list for the Priory.   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24826 on: 10 February, 2020, 08:35:58 pm »
https://twitter.com/Beau_Liverpool/status/1226924227816759299?s=20

About 10 minutes from my flat, though I don't often drink in there.   Too many people trying to take photos while you're having a pee.....

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #24827 on: 11 February, 2020, 07:19:19 pm »
haha looking at the specialbuys at Aldi coming up - cook wear - pots and frying pans etc - and WD40
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #24828 on: 11 February, 2020, 07:58:31 pm »
haha looking at the specialbuys at Aldi coming up - cook wear - pots and frying pans etc - and WD40

Non-stick?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #24829 on: 11 February, 2020, 10:55:46 pm »

And coming soon to LIDL...  :o
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24830 on: 12 February, 2020, 03:05:30 am »
David and I went to a piano recital at the Queen Elizabeth Hall on the South Bank this evening.
We were in the front stalls, where there are several wheelchair bays. Next to us was a lady in a power chair, with a young companion, a lad of about 12, whom we'd seen at the previous concert in the piano series.
They made a pretty prompt exit after the performance, whilst we were in no rush.

When we emerged, the lady with the power chair was in a sorry heap on one of the ramps by the exit. She was unhurt but uncomfortable and unable to get up. She needed an ambulance with a hoist to raise her and insisted we didn't wait with her. There were several South Bank staff present. They provided extra blankets and David managed to place a cushion from the wheel chair under the lady.

I hope she didn't have to wait too long for the ambulance. Being uninjured and conscious would have made her a low priority...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #24831 on: 12 February, 2020, 09:45:24 am »
Referring back to pubs without bars, The Low House, aka The King's Head, in Laxford, Suffolk. Kim, Phil and I lunched there after the Dun Run once, prior to making for Diss station, a journey during which a sleep-deprived Nothing Happened to Kim, causing her to end up in the nettles.

My random reason for making a random post this morning was that we ailed to answer the telephone this morning. The number, which wasn't listed as a known nuisance number, had the Sullom Voe area code.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24832 on: 12 February, 2020, 11:58:58 am »
Referring back to pubs without bars, The Low House, aka The King's Head, in Laxford, Suffolk. Kim, Phil and I lunched there after the Dun Run once

Weirdly, I have no memory of that.  I blame Benadryl.

« Reply #24833 on: 12 February, 2020, 12:01:46 pm »
Are you certain of that Wow ?   I think I was with Kim when she ended in the nettles & I don't recall us going to a pub.    Unless she's done it twice.....  ???

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24834 on: 13 February, 2020, 09:04:09 pm »
Referring back to pubs without bars, The Low House, aka The King's Head, in Laxford, Suffolk. Kim, Phil and I lunched there after the Dun Run once, prior to making for Diss station, a journey during which a sleep-deprived Nothing Happened to Kim, causing her to end up in the nettles.

My random reason for making a random post this morning was that we ailed to answer the telephone this morning. The number, which wasn't listed as a known nuisance number, had the Sullom Voe area code.

it wasnt me, I've been in Aberdeen this week
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #24835 on: 14 February, 2020, 01:51:49 pm »
My wife was bought a DNA test for Christmas. She got the results back yesterday.  98.9% British, 1.1% Middle Eastern.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24836 on: 14 February, 2020, 02:08:23 pm »
Don't tell the Home Office, they'll have her on a plane faster than Dom can purge a Chancellor.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24837 on: 16 February, 2020, 05:44:39 pm »
This should be in a thread of:
Things I don't Understand, but Still Find Hugely Entertaining*

https://twitter.com/sienzala/status/1228580638594174977

*I suppose a bit like some Monty Python? Maybe?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24838 on: 16 February, 2020, 06:04:37 pm »
Interesting use of "rowdy". Also, isn't it rather homophobic? Not that I'd claim to really understand it either. I mean, where's the tune? And (I might be wrong about this) isn't Michael "Stipey" Stipe himself gay? Though not necessarily a bear. (But then the Bristol Bears are not a gay rugby club, as opposed to the Bristol Bisons, who are. Why Bisons? I have no idea.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24839 on: 16 February, 2020, 06:21:43 pm »
At risk of making a habit of REM facts - though if pressed I could probably pass this off as a bisexual fact - Micheal Stipe identifies as queer, and has had relationships with both men and women.

I expect Bisons because a) alliteration  and b) you can't wash your hands in a bear...

(Not a clue what to make of the video above, but I liked the use of sunglasses.)

« Reply #24840 on: 16 February, 2020, 10:20:14 pm »
And why do they have a Union Flag on the wall ?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24841 on: 17 February, 2020, 08:54:39 am »
I expect Bisons because a) alliteration  and b) you can't wash your hands in a bear...
Perhaps they just like vodka (look it up)? Anyway, there are no bisons in Bristol but there are real, live, wild bears (not from Surrey):
https://wildplace.org.uk/explore-the-park/bear-wood
I expect if asked to play rugby, they'd just eat the ball. Or the referee.

And why do they have a Union Flag on the wall ?
Looks like a school corridor to me.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24842 on: 17 February, 2020, 08:55:38 am »
Yesterday I came across a phrase for estate agent that is almost as good as "mistake agent": a "terrestrial business rogue."
(click to show/hide)

“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Davef

« Reply #24844 on: 17 February, 2020, 04:37:53 pm »
Ship abandoned near Bermuda in October 2018 runs aground in Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/storm-dennis-washes-abandoned-ghost-ship-onto-rocks-off-co-cork-1.4175774
Mayday, mayday our ship is sinking very very slowly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #24845 on: 18 February, 2020, 02:55:17 pm »
There are some seriously well scrubbed young chaps in dark clothing going around my estate in pairs & knocking on doors  :jurek:

I fear they may be missionaries.    Intercom disconnected & boiling oil at the ready......

« Reply #24846 on: 18 February, 2020, 03:35:34 pm »
https://slippedisc.com/2020/02/stray-cat-is-star-of-baroque-concert/

Keeping the materials for fresh strings close to hand.....

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24848 on: 18 February, 2020, 05:44:26 pm »
There are some seriously well scrubbed young chaps in dark clothing going around my estate in pairs & knocking on doors  :jurek:

I fear they may be missionaries.    Intercom disconnected & boiling oil at the ready......
Nah, high class burglars casing the joint.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24849 on: 18 February, 2020, 05:45:14 pm »
I've just been to a meeting with BCC planning officers. They turned up on bikes!  :thumbsup: And the meeting was about a bus stop!!!  :o