Author Topic: effing builder  (Read 15924 times)

effing builder
« on: 01 November, 2016, 03:30:05 pm »
So, builder began the current work at the bear-o-drome a week late and then we had an unexpected delay due to self-collapsing walls!   Never mind, in came the brickie and all was restored, nice and new looking.   The result was that of course we were out of sync with the builder's schedule but we agreed a month ago that he'd be back for two weeks from 31st October to finish the job.

Having confirmed on Saturday that we're definitely going ahead we went and ordered the kitchen cabinets and worktops from Howdens which he will be fitting once other works have been done as per plan. 

31st October comes and no builder shows.   I get a text saying that he'd been held up and would be here today.   OK, I'll live with this.   Today he no shows and I call him.   After a bit of a discussion he admits that he's not free this week but should be OK for next week.    I warned him that if he cannot commit to two weeks from next Monday then I'd be looking for a replacement builder.   It'll be fine, no need he says.

I ring my mate the plasterer who knows this builder.   As a result of our conversation I've started looking at replacement builders.   Nightmare.

I'm quite pissed off cos this guy is a good builder but I cannot just sit at the back of the queue whilst he keeps others happy.   

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: effing builder
« Reply #1 on: 01 November, 2016, 04:07:53 pm »
Tut, builders eh !

They seem to be incredibly busy at the moment. I've even considered hanging up my slippers, loading the van and joining in the UK buildfest.

I had a chat with the guy who's building across the road from mum and dads'. He said that he has seven extensions lined up, one after the other. If thats anything to go by you probably won't be the only one phoning him and asking where he is and it looks like you may have unfortunately left the queue.

« Reply #2 on: 01 November, 2016, 04:14:46 pm »
Oh, oh...

We are expecting a roofer tomorrow.  He gave me a verbal quote on Monday and said he'd follow it up by email but nothing.  This morning he said his guys, Oleg and Vladimir will be round before lunch and I reminded him about the quote but nothing yet. 

We had 3 coming to do quotes, one crashed his van before he could get here (went through the windscreen he said) and the other must be a comedian given his price.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #3 on: 01 November, 2016, 04:39:27 pm »
The trouble is that the builder who can start on short notice is quite likely the builder you really don't want.

« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2016, 05:42:06 pm »
The threat has worked.   He (builder 1) has just dropped in.

I have a builder, builder 2 lined up who only now works for friends and family as he's semi retired or, as he puts it, not earning enough to pay tax!

Builder 2 is coming in for a few days so builder 1 shot in (builder 2 recommended builder 1 originally) this evening to grovel on bended knee and promise to do the necessary over the weekend.   Builder 2 rang just now to confirm with me that builder 1 has promised him that he will have the necessary work completed over the weekend for builder 2 to be able to do further work next week.

Now to chat with my sparky and my gas safe man.   sparky is dead reliable and gas safe man always seems to be able to fit me in.    :thumbsup:   

Ah, project management.   I thought that I'd given that up!

Confused?   Tune in to the next episode of Builders Bullshit next week! 

« Reply #5 on: 01 November, 2016, 06:09:08 pm »
I am on builder No 5 atm and seven months in. Interestingly, trying to get on to sign a contract is proving impossible. All these extensions will disappear when house prices go pop or banks actually start paying some interest on savings.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 01 November, 2016, 06:16:59 pm »
The trouble is that the builder who can start on short notice is quite likely the builder you really don't want.

Yeah and he turned up riding a horse :o.

Let's face the music and dance
Before the roofers have fled,
Before they ask us to pay the bill, and while we still have that chance
Let's face the music and dance
Soon, we'll be without a roof, humming a different tune - and then...
There may be raindrops to shed

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 01 November, 2016, 06:24:44 pm »
They'd finish stuff on time if they didn't spend 5-6 hours a day going out for supplies, on fag breaks or sitting in the van on the phone.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2016, 06:27:12 pm »
And if they kept a tidy van so that they can find the bits that they need when they need them.   

« Reply #9 on: 01 November, 2016, 07:36:45 pm »
Good, professional builders tend to pace up and down outside their jobs talking loudly into their mobiles. The 'busy and important' look is a USP for only the cream of the crap. Crop. Sorry.

« Reply #10 on: 02 November, 2016, 11:26:13 am »
They arrived a few minutes ago.  Now having a teabreak.

« Reply #11 on: 02 November, 2016, 11:54:57 am »
They arrived a few minutes ago.  Now having a teabreak.

Just like the average office worker then?  :-)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12 on: 02 November, 2016, 01:06:31 pm »
There are two blokes sitting in their van outside, having an fag and playing with their phones.  Meanwhile I'm freezing to death in here, due to there now being bloody great holes in the wall where the window frames used to be.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 02 November, 2016, 02:00:45 pm »
There are two blokes sitting in their van outside, having an fag and playing with their phones.  Meanwhile I'm freezing to death in here, due to there now being bloody great holes in the wall where the window frames used to be.

Knock on the van window and ask if you can join them.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #14 on: 02 November, 2016, 02:05:45 pm »
It's OK.  I lured them back with more tea.

Still no point in putting the heating on though.  :(

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #15 on: 02 November, 2016, 02:36:58 pm »
My wifes' builder is rubbish. He finally tuned up today at midday with some lame excuse about having to walk the dog in the sunshine.

Then he proceeded to fiddle with the dodgy switch on the mixer for an hour, did 2.5 hours of shoddy brickwork and has now packed up and is sitting in the kitchen having a cup of tea.

« Reply #16 on: 02 November, 2016, 02:42:00 pm »
They've made a great start, lovely neat pointing and got the pepper pot in place.  Only snag is they were supposed to put it on the back chimney and it's on the front.  :facepalm:

Never mind, I guess it'll look better with two pepper pots or maybe a salt and pepper pot would cut the mustard?

« Reply #17 on: 15 November, 2016, 05:12:39 pm »
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

So, the man is lined up on Friday to come seal the floor then apply self leveller.   

I ring him today to remind him.   "Can't do anything before January mate".   But, you agreed to do it this Friday.  "Yeah but I didn't think it was that urgent". ???

What is it with these idiots that clearly rots their branes and their common sense.   

« Reply #18 on: 15 November, 2016, 05:38:17 pm »
What a pain.

Just to add to this...

Troo fact.  We once had a double act of builders around to do an estimate for some work.  They wrote us out a 'quote' on the spot, saying they had workers just waiting to start as soon as; verging on pushy.  Went with someone else in the end (personal recommendation), and heard sometime later - the first pair had been arrested and jailed for overcharging and money laundering.  Another lesson in all this was - beware the unsolicited mail-drop advert...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #19 on: 15 November, 2016, 05:56:06 pm »
My main builder is usually but not always reliable and it's a floor guy that he subs to.   

The point of the call was that he needed the address and room dimensions ready for Friday.   Clearly he doesn't need the work after all.

Tomorrow I trudge around the various purveyors of flooring in Rugby to try and get another tradesperson in.

Thursday I'm doing a refit of the upvc kitchen door with another fitter and charging the work back to the original company who made a right pigs testicle of it.   Being a desk jockey I don't do this sort of stuff.   Tradesmen and women really do need to sort their effing acts out. 

Will I resort to youtube for any of this ...   

« Reply #20 on: 15 November, 2016, 05:59:22 pm »
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

So, the man is lined up on Friday to come seal the floor then apply self leveller.   

I ring him today to remind him.   "Can't do anything before January mate".   But, you agreed to do it this Friday.  "Yeah but I didn't think it was that urgent". ???

What is it with these idiots that clearly rots their branes and their common sense.

When Mrs. M was expecting our first child ,she decided that the stairwell needed decorating as she was tired of builder's magnolia paint.
Quote given by local painter and decorator bod was accepted and start date agreed.
On the chosen Monday morning nobody turned up. We rang the chap at home, no reply.
We waited in until lunchtime and called him again.
His wife answered and casually informed us that hubby had packed in decorating as he was fed up of climbing ladders. When she was asked why he hadn't telephoned to communicate this simple fact, wifey didn't apologise and just put the phone down.
In the end Mrs. M just rolled up her sleves and we did it ourselves. That has been our philosophy ever since on decorating.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #21 on: 18 November, 2016, 09:51:43 pm »
One thing I've learned from experience in the current Basil Towers, is that when you get a stupidly high quote for any work, it's because they don't actually want the job.  No one explained this to the queen, did they?
£369 million for a re-wire and a bit of plastering.  Bloody hell.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22 on: 18 November, 2016, 10:10:18 pm »
Ah, but it's an insurance job, innit? Being paid for be Pleb, Oik & Hoi Polloi.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #23 on: 18 November, 2016, 10:13:23 pm »
Update:  Today I got busy with scrapers and broom and cleared up any lumps of plaster and other hideous detritus.  I then mixed pva 50/50 with water and applied this to seal the floor.  Jobs a good un.

Tomorrow I move the upvc door with main builder before he does lots of plumbing and then we apply the self levelling gunge.

Sunday is cycleday.

Monday is paint the ceiling and walls* ready for the new kitchen units which arrive on Wednesday.

*  I want to get all work completed above the tall and wall cupboards for convenience.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #24 on: 19 November, 2016, 03:21:00 pm »
All of which goes to show that DIY SOS is a load of old bollocks...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.