Author Topic: Anyone else had enough of Christmas already?  (Read 13696 times)

Tiger

Re: Anyone else had enough of Christmas already?
« Reply #100 on: 10 December, 2008, 02:05:13 pm »
on the Winter Warmer - in state of deliriuous frozen exhaustion etc I seem to recall passing through one of those little settlements that the natives live in - and one of the houses had every illumination on the market in the garden and all over the roof. House on each side notably dark. I can just imagine their faces each year as this years exhibit starts to take shape.

Another hamlet with a row of cottages all strung up with hundreds of miles of lights - the one on the end was a scrap metal trader so I think he must have got hold of a looryload of scrap lights and suggested a neighbourly display. Lovely.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #101 on: 10 December, 2008, 05:22:01 pm »

To all who are sick and tired of traditional Christmas music

I bring to you :

Killwhitneydead : Jingle Hell  :demon: :demon:

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #102 on: 11 December, 2008, 10:21:05 am »
Next door have been playing the same `Christmas Hits' CD for the last two days. No court would convict me......

And again today. Heading for the RANT thread this one..... >:(
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #103 on: 11 December, 2008, 10:25:57 am »
I haven't really noticed Christmas yet, apart from Mrs. Wow scurrying around crocheting and knitting all sorts of decorative but ultimately useless items for relatives. I haven't seen an advert, the only shop I've been in has been Waitrose and I haven't noticed any seasonal change there, but I have seen the chavvish electric lights going up outside houses. We've had brussels sprouts a few times (good) but since I'm mostly off the booze I haven't even got that as a fallback position. We are going to my daughter's on Christmas day so I doubt that we'll bother with a tree or any decorations. We didn't last year, and I loved it.

but but but .... your Santa !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #104 on: 11 December, 2008, 10:29:32 am »
What about his Santa?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #105 on: 12 December, 2008, 01:47:28 am »
Next door have been playing the same `Christmas Hits' CD for the last two days. No court would convict me......

And again today. Heading for the RANT thread this one..... >:(

I've had to put up with sodding Christmas music on the office stereo solidly for at least a week - I lose track, it feels like several months. What I find most bizarre is that Cliff Richard would not be countenanced at any other time of year but now when I complain that we have to listen to his drivel, I get called Scrooge!

Bah flipping humbug!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #106 on: 12 December, 2008, 09:42:44 am »
They are at it AGAIN!!! I am going down to run a hosepipe from my car to their letterbox......

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #107 on: 12 December, 2008, 09:52:22 am »
Make sure it doesn't leak through to your house. 
Getting there...

« Reply #108 on: 12 December, 2008, 09:57:48 am »
I was not going to turn the engine on, have you seen the price of deisel?

« Reply #109 on: 12 December, 2008, 10:05:49 am »
Some idiot came in super early this morning to put more tinsel around the office than lights on a chav's house.

There was tinsel wrapped around my keyboard and monitors and a star stuck on my mouse making everything unusable. Plus shit loads more all over my chair.

I have removed the lot :thumbsup:
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #110 on: 12 December, 2008, 10:36:25 am »
It used to wind me up no end  - the over-the-top sentimentality, pressure of doing what others expect, trying to work out what they expect, other peoples' stress and the way it affected me, feeling I had to pretend to be happy when I wasn't...

From the mid-90s I started to phase out xmas. Now I give all the money I would otherwise have spent on perfunctory gifts to my step-mum, go to my sister's for an evening around the 21st or 22nd and otherwise have a long weekend.

Did go thru a 'bah humbug' phase but this evaporated a couple of years ago, Now it's like summer hols: everyone goes to their own place at their own time and does what they want to do. Happy to see them go and happy to see them come back  :) 

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #111 on: 12 December, 2008, 10:42:52 am »
I have let it be known that I will KILL TO DETH IN COLD BLUD anyone who attempts to decorate my work space over the remaining days before Christmas.

I know what you're thinking. "Is she really quite that homicidal about these decorations ?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself.  But being as this is a Rexel No. 56, the most powerful stapler in the world, and would cleave your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #112 on: 12 December, 2008, 11:00:16 am »
Christmas cards are begining to appear on my desk now.  I never see the perpetrator, they know well my attitude to this.  So now they appear while I am away from my desk.
I was brought up with my mom's attitude to xmas cards.
"They are for people who you won't see to wish merry christmas to personally"  (Old friends, distant rellys etc)
But every one in our office gives every one else a card ('bout 30 bods)  Even though I explain every bloody year that I won't be doing this and would not be happy if I received a card from anyone aware of this.
Every time I go to lunch - another card.  Come in late - more cards.  Nip to the loo - yet another.
I leave them in view, un-opened for a day or two before I stash them in my drawer (they're quite usefull for cutting up into pressie labels)
I dread to think how many more I will have aquired by the time I return from leave on Tuesday.

It seems that there are even married couples who exchange crimble cards.  WTF?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #113 on: 12 December, 2008, 12:59:58 pm »
We have a scheme at work - Only ONE Christmas card that gets signed by everybody and displayed for all to see. What you would could have spent on cards for everybody goes into a pot for the local hospice - much more civilised and it salves what conscience you may have about it as well  ;)