Author Topic: Cold and snowy winter ?  (Read 14520 times)

Re: Cold and snowy winter ?
« Reply #75 on: 05 January, 2009, 11:03:40 am »
I used the windcheetah.   First few roads were great, really slippery, then it was gritted, then I got into southend proper where there didn't appear to be anything other than slush, even on the side roads  >:(

Plzbehavinmoresno?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #76 on: 05 January, 2009, 11:04:32 am »
Felt v safe on the Anthrotech :thumbsup:
Getting there...

iakobski

« Reply #77 on: 05 January, 2009, 11:11:46 am »
Do the weather forecasters actually look out of the window before doing the forecast?

Radio 4 @ 6am: "Most of England has had light drizzle overnight..." look out of the window -  there's snow everywhere.

Zoidburg

« Reply #78 on: 05 January, 2009, 02:51:56 pm »
Remember that time when they said there really wasn't an atlantic hurricane about to hit blighty?

The lovable goons at the met office ::-)

I swear the weather forcast is done using the magic eight ball.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_eight_ball

« Reply #79 on: 05 January, 2009, 03:10:22 pm »
Do the weather forecasters actually look out of the window before doing the forecast?

Radio 4 @ 6am: "Most of England has had light drizzle overnight..." look out of the window -  there's snow everywhere.

They do look out the window but if they're in an inner city office there's less chance of any snow there: Urban heat island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #80 on: 05 January, 2009, 03:22:13 pm »
It's snowing half-heartedly here, but the snow on the roads is all gone.
Ditto. This is Reading.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

cc93

« Reply #81 on: 05 January, 2009, 03:23:50 pm »
Had a fair bit land on the Chilterns so first chance to try the Snow Studs out in anger on the MTB.

Pretty good too, though probably a tad over-inflated, will let some air out before going home as the packed ice could be tricky if it freezes any more.

Got some good piccies too!

« Reply #82 on: 05 January, 2009, 03:32:00 pm »
Our roads seemed to be covered in a thick layer of ice with a centimetre of slush on top this morning. It was slippier than a slippery thing covered in slip.

The commute had to be re-routed to find the gritted roads since the back wheel was just sliding out from underneath me, and the cars were going sideways. Tim had an off, as did another cyclist he encountered, and then he met a car driver sitting quietly by the side of the road and waiting for the nerves to subside.

Would have been fun on an MTB, but I've no lights suitable for off-roading. :(

I shall be taking the prudent route home also. Snow is fun, but that stuff is more dangerous than the stuff we had in the Alps! I've seen at least one car resorting to snow chains to get their car out of their ungritted road.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #83 on: 05 January, 2009, 04:45:08 pm »
I emailed a friend of mine in Minnesota today telling her excitedly that it was really cold and snowing here this morning. She simply replied informing me that there are several feet of snow on the ground there and it was minus 22 C when she left for work this morning!!! Apparently that's considered "Light jacket weather"  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

bobajobrob

« Reply #84 on: 05 January, 2009, 05:18:15 pm »
I came off on ice at lunchtime on a shady spot that was covered in snow, slush and ice. No damage to me, just some scrapes to the bike.

« Reply #85 on: 05 January, 2009, 08:39:23 pm »

Chris S

« Reply #86 on: 05 January, 2009, 08:45:48 pm »

I was wondering today how our uber-commuters were getting on dealing with the wintry conditions.

cc93

« Reply #87 on: 05 January, 2009, 11:15:21 pm »

I was wondering today how our uber-commuters were getting on dealing with the wintry conditions.

Was a bit fraught at times, particularly the steep downhill bits, but unmissable

Not sure about tomorrow though!

« Reply #88 on: 05 January, 2009, 11:24:22 pm »
Mine wasn't as good as that !!  I had about 6 miles of it.  It was slippery if I stopped, to take a picture for instance  ;D  I also remembered, once I'd started to wheel spin, that when going up a steep hill one must stay in the saddle or the back wheel will not get me far  :thumbsup:

« Reply #89 on: 06 January, 2009, 05:43:16 am »
the gym

As well as all those miles? Blimey!

Nice pics GruB and wellard - Thanks.

Really Ancien

« Reply #90 on: 07 February, 2009, 07:20:44 am »
Off for the 5th Days Skiing in the Pennines this season today. Last year we had a day at the end of March. They've had skiing intermittently since November, the latest on record has been in May.

Damon.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #91 on: 07 February, 2009, 01:04:49 pm »
Look what I found- no not yet another photo of fun in the snow 2009 style but my daughter (who is now aged 20) romping around Beckenham Place Park, SE London aged 2, I think. 

sc006af2b6 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

She is absolutely gutted that has missed it all in london this year having moved to Glasgow in September, where there has been and possibly will not be any snow this winter.  She can see it though, as the hills just a few miles north  are covered in the cold white stuff and visible from the top of Glasgow's hills.

« Reply #92 on: 07 February, 2009, 06:54:13 pm »
  She can see it though, as the hills just a few miles north  are covered in the cold white stuff and visible from the top of Glasgow's hills.

Trossachs?

gordon taylor

« Reply #93 on: 08 February, 2009, 06:57:01 pm »
It's "snowing" here this evening. We've got one measly centimetre.
COME ON, SNOW.
DO THE PROPER THING AND SNOW.

This is no fun at all.  >:( :( :( :(

Zoidburg

« Reply #94 on: 08 February, 2009, 07:01:45 pm »
The weather bods think that us hill folk in the Potteries will get a proper fall of snow over night

I am afraid Gordy that you lowlanders in Stafford will have to settle for a mere sprinkling.

Of course the Met office just use the magic eight ball when making forcasts as far as I can tell so I could be wrong :-\

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #95 on: 08 February, 2009, 07:04:06 pm »
Things here in West Lancs were looking quite promising when I took the dog out an hour ago. A light covering on the gardens and cars and the first signs of it settling on the pavements. I was quite excited for a minute. Just look out now and it has stopped. Boo.