Author Topic: Euro 2012... (possible spoilers)  (Read 20893 times)

Euro 2012... (possible spoilers)
« on: 11 June, 2012, 10:07:33 am »
Is there a thread? 

Can't say that I'm that enthusiastic about Euro 2012, but there should be some interesting 'drama'...

So, England up for a bashing by the French (unbeaten in 21 games) tonight?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Euro 2012...
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2012, 10:20:49 am »
Yes, I think so. Can't see us getting anything out of this match.
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2012, 10:27:01 am »
France 3 England 1.

Possibly.  Let's see...
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2012, 10:49:51 am »
Is Henry playing? Isn't it the side with a Henry who normally wins in England-France matches, or is that just archery?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2012, 10:52:09 am »
Henry was in the side that cheat the Irish in the qualification for the last major competition.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2012, 10:53:21 am »
France 3 England 1.

Possibly.  Let's see...

If we're doing predictions:

France 1:1 England
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #6 on: 11 June, 2012, 11:02:24 am »
I'm going to go with England 2: France 1 for a surprise result (but this is probably over optimistic, as a draw would be a good result, and I'm kind of thinking France 2: England 1 is more likely).

AndyK

« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2012, 11:03:39 am »
I won't be watching. To do so would condone too much I find revolting.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8 on: 11 June, 2012, 11:11:23 am »
Just realised my commute home is going to coincide with all the idiots racing back to watch the football :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #9 on: 11 June, 2012, 11:22:04 am »
Now, now, now boys. Just because you don't like footy, no need to get all snitty.

I've enjoyed a few of the opening games. I just think it's a pity a tournament like this comes at the the end of the season when a lot of players are tired.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #10 on: 11 June, 2012, 11:31:03 am »
I like football, I just don't like the drivers racing and tearing around trying to get home in time before the start.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 11 June, 2012, 11:54:07 am »
Henry was in the side that cheat the Irish in the qualification for the last major competition.
I think you're understating his hand in that incident!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #12 on: 11 June, 2012, 12:09:02 pm »
AFAICS, France is ranked 12 and England 5.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_seeding
Probably why the teams are meeting so early on...

AndyK

« Reply #13 on: 11 June, 2012, 12:20:10 pm »
Now, now, now boys. Just because you don't like footy, no need to get all snitty.

I've enjoyed a few of the opening games. I just think it's a pity a tournament like this comes at the the end of the season when a lot of players are tired.

I like football, I don't like UEFA ignoring the rampant racism and anti-semitism endemic in Polish and Ukrainian football stadiums, and also the awful animal abuse Ukraine is carrying out in order to host Euro 2012.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #14 on: 11 June, 2012, 12:39:33 pm »

I like football, I don't like UEFA ignoring the rampant racism and anti-semitism endemic in Polish and Ukrainian football stadiums, and also the awful animal abuse Ukraine is carrying out in order to host Euro 2012.

Really?  This would be from the handful of nutters shown on Panorama, or do you have other sources?  I can't speak about Poland, but some top Ukrainian clubs have had non-whites on their teams for around a decade - no problems.  I've attended some matches there and not spotted any 'rampant racism'.  I follow news from Ukraine fairly closely, don't recall hearing anything about racists attacks.  Anti-semitism?  Often talked about, never back up by facts.  The animal story is news to me.

Get a grip.  Eastern Europe is not deepest, darkest 18th century Africa just waiting for people like the Brits to come and bring 'enlightenment'.  It's not perfect, improvements can be made, but there are plenty of problems right here.  I assume you're not a fan of the Olympics, but I hope you're indignant that the event this year is being held in a country that has a racist political party and votes its members into public office. 
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

AndyK

« Reply #15 on: 11 June, 2012, 12:49:40 pm »

Really?  This would be from the handful of nutters shown on Panorama, or do you have other sources?  I can't speak about Poland, but some top Ukrainian clubs have had non-whites on their teams for around a decade - no problems.  I've attended some matches there and not spotted any 'rampant racism'.  I follow news from Ukraine fairly closely, don't recall hearing anything about racists attacks.  Anti-semitism?  Often talked about, never back up by facts.  The animal story is news to me.

Get a grip.  Eastern Europe is not deepest, darkest 18th century Africa just waiting for people like the Brits to come and bring 'enlightenment'.  It's not perfect, improvements can be made, but there are plenty of problems right here.  I assume you're not a fan of the Olympics, but I hope you're indignant that the event this year is being held in a country that has a racist political party and votes its members into public office.

That wasn't a 'handful of nutters', and the Ukrainian authorities flatly denied those fans making nazi salutes and shouting anti-semitic slogans even existed. In Poland they denied some Indian students being singled out and beaten for their race was racism.

It was like watching UK football circa 1970s with the NF running riot in the grounds.

I will not be watching Euro 2012 because what I have seen has sickened me to the core, and I refuse to condone the tournament being held in such an environment.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 11 June, 2012, 12:54:50 pm »
I've never watched football in Eastern Europe, but I choose to trust what the journalists (including the natives) write on the subject; there is a problem. Racism is clearly worse over there than in UK football, and we have a "Kick Racism Out" campaign (despite decades of black players at top clubs).

Nigerian-born Poland player talks about banana throwing etc:
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/06/08/sport/football/euro-2012-poland-olisadebe/index.html

Let's be realistic; every country has racists. Some have more than others, some sports seem to attract them, and some police forces do more than others about it.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #17 on: 11 June, 2012, 12:54:54 pm »
Ahem - feel free to start a separate POBI thread on these societal/political issues surrounding EURO 2012 - to avoid this one being moved you understand... 

« Reply #18 on: 11 June, 2012, 01:18:16 pm »
Oh no, please move this one! We don't need it cluttering up the front page of the pub for the foreseeable! I read the forum by going to next topic and the PE threads get in the way >:(. They should all be in entertainment or have their own board. Tune Association can go with them. :demon:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #19 on: 11 June, 2012, 01:33:00 pm »
'Entertainment' would be OK.   Traditionally the Pub though, AFAIA.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #20 on: 11 June, 2012, 01:41:19 pm »
I've taken a fairly superficial interest in the competition so far. I'm well past football saturation point and it's a long time since I considered myself an England supporter (at least when it comes to football). It's the banality of the endless punditry that has ground me down. Spending half an hour post-match discussing whether the ball crossed the line, or whether it should have been a penalty... it's beyond tedious. I don't mind talking about football, but surely there are more interesting things to say about it? And as for the blinkered delusion regarding England's chances in any major competition... (Compare and contrast pro cycling where it's deemed quite acceptable to express admiration for the performances of competitors from a rival nation/team.)

I did enjoy the Spain vs Italy game yesterday, though, and Ireland vs Croatia sounded good so I might try to catch up with the highlights later. Probably won't watch England vs France for the simple reason that I'll be riding home at the time it's on (and fingers crossed, the roads will be nice and empty).

When I lost faith in England, I started supporting Spain for a while - right approach to the game but Perennial UnderachieversTM - but then they went and got good and started winning stuff, which kind of spoiled the fun.

Haven't worked out who to switch my allegiance to. Not Ireland - that would be too obvious. Maybe the unfancied Danes after their shock win over the Dutch. Maybe France, just because... well, just because.  :demon:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #21 on: 11 June, 2012, 02:30:37 pm »
'Entertainment' would be OK.   Traditionally the Pub though, AFAIA.
I know. I whinge about it periodically, when they are having one of the internaltional PE competitions. I like to get it off my chest :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #22 on: 11 June, 2012, 04:56:13 pm »
OK.  I'm going to watch it.  May as well get involved.  ::-)

Why do ITV keep playing what sounds like a grab form Prokopiev's Peter and the Wolf?  Is there a significance?  Or am I mis=hearing it?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

LEE

« Reply #23 on: 11 June, 2012, 04:59:33 pm »
I'm in a low-expectation "go on then, I'll watch it if I must" frame of mind.

At least the England fans have lower expectations for this competition (quite rightly so).  Maybe we are coming to terms, finally, that we are a "mid table" side, lacking in the basic skills that are required in the modern game.

Note.  by basic skills I mean the ability to successfully pass a ball to team-mate 5 yards away and for him to control it.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 11 June, 2012, 05:00:36 pm »
Prokofiev was born in the Ukraine.

Tenuous link, but I'd take P&TW over just about any recent football 'anthem' used on ITV ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------