Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1751108 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #3075 on: 12 June, 2012, 07:06:13 pm »
Jolly sailor is at Heybridge, I was asked to stop singing in there once. Poss Xmas do venue, campsite nearby. Do a recce.

You must be Mistic Meg. This is exactly what I was thinking. Wanna come?  Could meet you there.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3076 on: 12 June, 2012, 07:17:41 pm »
How about something like this for the Witham starters :- http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=412890

EDIT: this 45km (28 miles) route is to be extended to ~56km (35 miles).......update to follow......Bloomers if you wanna join us we could ride out closer to you and meet up before heading towards Maldon.....
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3077 on: 12 June, 2012, 07:29:20 pm »
No thanks got my feet up. Meet you both at Rose and Crown if you come this way.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3078 on: 12 June, 2012, 07:39:35 pm »
ETA at the Jolly Sailor, Heybridge Basin?

I'll be able to get away at about 7pm at the earliest, so I'd be there before 9pm, with a following wind?!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3079 on: 12 June, 2012, 08:37:23 pm »
OK then, how about this route then, OD?
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=412936
35 miles on the dot (with opportunities to cut corners if necessary).

Tomsk, if we leave at the planned time of 6pm we are likely to be in the Maldon/Heybridge area for fodder between 7:30 and 8, depends how long OD wants to take over eating or start later as to whether we can rendezvous.

bloomers100

« Reply #3080 on: 12 June, 2012, 08:46:48 pm »
Aha, just realised you're talking about tomorrow. Rumours that I don't know what day it is are grossly exagerated. :facepalm:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3081 on: 12 June, 2012, 08:51:07 pm »
Aha, just realised you're talking about tomorrow. Rumours that I don't know what day it is are grossly exagerated. :facepalm:
;D
We could take in the Walthams to collect you on the way to Maldon.

bloomers100

« Reply #3082 on: 12 June, 2012, 10:29:28 pm »
Thanks but I won't be out.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3083 on: 13 June, 2012, 06:14:48 am »

Tomsk, if we leave at the planned time of 6pm we are likely to be in the Maldon/Heybridge area for fodder between 7:30 and 8, depends how long OD wants to take over eating or start later as to whether we can rendezvous.

The route looks just fine  :-*  I was thinking of grabbing a bite at one of the Basin's two pubs - what do you think?  Details of the campsite are HERE (scroll down a bit)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3084 on: 13 June, 2012, 07:54:18 am »

See you there :thumbsup:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3085 on: 13 June, 2012, 08:21:51 pm »
Coincidentally I was at The Old Ship in Heybridge Basin for lunch with the family on Sunrday, where we bumped into mrs huggy.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3086 on: 13 June, 2012, 08:57:55 pm »
I hadn't realised there's a campsite there.  That's got great potential... Taking into the sea lock on the way back from the pub might be an issue.

Tide willing, we could even go crabbing.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3087 on: 14 June, 2012, 06:12:09 am »
Smashing night last night!  We got to Heybridge Basin after riding at a fair old clip and climbing both The Mighty North Hill and Maldon's Market Hill. 

The campsite is a peach.   You have to cross the lock gates which thankfully have a substantial handrail on both sides:

The loo block is for the use of the site and visiting yachtspeople.  It is protected by a keypad lock, was small but perfectly adequate and clean.  It even has washing machines:

The site only takes 10 2/3 person tents and the British Waterways chap I e-mailed yesterday said booking was advisable:

There were a couple of spritsail barges motorsailing under their topsails:

We had beer in both The Old Ship and The Jolly Sailor.  Both were just fine.  We ate in The Old Ship which has big windows affording great views of the water; my homemade chicken curry was yummy. 

Tomsk turned up just as our food did.  It was a chilly ride home.

The Basin and it's campsite would make an excellent venue for the Christmas Do and I for one am going to try and camp there beforehand if at all possible.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3088 on: 14 June, 2012, 07:47:52 pm »
This venue has it all for the Christmas do and with a bit  of luck the navigation will freeze over and we can go skateing too.

Also worth pointing out: the 'Company Shed' at W. Mersea is just up the road and could be on a Christmas Ride itinerary for lunch.... A brewery  visit in Maldon as last time too? I can't believe we're getting excited about Xmas already!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3089 on: 14 June, 2012, 08:22:14 pm »
I think its the wintery weather that's turning our thoughts to Christmas. It was freezing when we left the pub last night.

bloomers100

« Reply #3090 on: 17 June, 2012, 03:52:59 pm »
There's a brewery at Mersea http://www.merseawine.com/  ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3091 on: 17 June, 2012, 03:55:24 pm »
We'll ignore the fact they have a B&B. Camping is compulsary!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3092 on: 19 June, 2012, 02:47:45 pm »
Given that OD & Oaky are out of the parish this week I'm planning a solo spin of 30ish miles to keep the legs turning before Friday, anyone else about?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3093 on: 19 June, 2012, 05:43:27 pm »
I'm going up to the CTC York Rally on Thursday, so tomorrow will be my last evening with the family for a bit.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3094 on: 21 June, 2012, 11:33:02 am »
In the pursuit of keeping MEMWNS activity ticking over last night I did this 30 mile ride to take in a few peaks before OD and me set off on Friday to Brighton & back.  No beer report as it was a dry ride until I got home  :o
Don’t forget to meet us at The Compasses on Saturday evening, providing we make it all the way back on two wheels  :)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3095 on: 21 June, 2012, 11:55:20 am »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #3096 on: 21 June, 2012, 06:33:04 pm »
Been a bit unsociable the last few weeks. Trying to get myself up to scratch for a 300 in a couple of weeks time. Another 100km from work again last night with a quick cooling dip in the Chelmer at Ulting church to finish off.

Good luck to OD and Huggy at the weekend. Hope the weather holds up!

Cheers

bloomers100

« Reply #3097 on: 23 June, 2012, 10:10:40 am »
Are you on the Hereward?

« Reply #3098 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:22:27 am »
Anyone out tomorrow night? I might be up for a shortish one from Witham.  If it's an early start it may involve food as well as I won't be back from work till 7.00 - 7.30.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3099 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:45:28 am »
Anyone out tomorrow night? I might be up for a shortish one from Witham.  If it's an early start it may involve food as well as I won't be back from work till 7.00 - 7.30.

Hmmm, probably not as I will be late home tonight and even later on Thursday night so I can't see a pass application being well received. 

However, a few Saturdays ago a few Witham yacf types invented a new concept that I was hoping to try again this Saturday (subject to Head Office approval) ...

Leave Witham at 0800hrs, ride 30 to 40 miles, meet WAGs plus kids in Witham's Weatherspoons at about 1030hrs for breakfast (*)

(*) 'spoons do alot of high quality fried food for not much money.  They also serve cheap beer at this time and we found a single pint was very tasty but didn't compromise one's ability to perform boring domestic duties for the rest of the day.  The WAGs weren't massively impressed but what the hell  ;D