Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750858 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #4050 on: 15 May, 2013, 08:49:52 am »
King Billy's turn?

SR series will [I hope] run again in future - how about Herman Ramsey's 300 and 400 permanents, Christophe?

Another thought - how about a MEMWNS cloth badge or medal? It'd be relatively cheap to get a batch done and we could give them out to honorary/occasional attendees [pub landlords, random drunks etc] as well as regulars. I need a Little Book of Big Ideas  ;D.....

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4051 on: 15 May, 2013, 09:37:37 am »
King Billy it is.

I'll aim for 9pm-ish there. 

Christophe - I've discussed with Tomsk, and I'm almost definitely going to do the Flatlands as a "helpers" ride, probably the week before as a route-check.  We should compare calendars some time.  I think the week after may also be an option for me.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #4052 on: 15 May, 2013, 06:11:47 pm »
Tom where do Hermans start from? Are you the org for those?

Chris how to you get your rides home validated as done on fixed and > 100 km?

« Reply #4053 on: 16 May, 2013, 07:24:19 am »
My rides home are more than 100km and validated as DIY by GPS. The FWC bit is celf certified and done on trust.
The Herman rides are both from Manningtree and administered by Tom.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4054 on: 16 May, 2013, 08:44:45 am »
Quick correction re: permanent versions of the Green & Yellow Fields and Asparagus and Strawberries - Herman Ramsey still runs the permanent versions of his rides. Confusing I know, but all the details are on the website.

As perms you can start them anywhere on or near the route. Rather than go to Manningtree, for me it makes sense to start the G&Y in Sudbury [mid-way on the first leg] and the A&S in Sible Hedingham [mid-point on the last leg]. If you go for a different start time it's also is a good idea to avoid the A1065 at busy times, especially around Swaffham. Herman's routesheet has a slightly longer laney alternative to the west.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4055 on: 16 May, 2013, 08:49:03 am »
Was fun had last night?

I should be OK for next Wednesday evening  :thumbsup:

Also, if anyone fancies riding to Brighton tomorrow night let me know.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4056 on: 16 May, 2013, 09:15:02 am »
Was fun had last night?

No.

Because it's tonight :)

I should be OK for next Wednesday evening  :thumbsup:

Also, if anyone fancies riding to Brighton tomorrow night let me know.

Not me I'm afraid.  The likelihood is that I'll ride over to the Compasses BF tomorrow night.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4057 on: 16 May, 2013, 09:40:19 am »
Was fun had last night?

No.

Because it's tonight :)

Oh yeah  ;D  I'd forgotten that for one week only (until the next time) Thursday night is the new Wednesday night.  I'd like to join you but given I'm away tomorrow night (and a fair chunk of Saturday) my application for a pass would no doubt prompt much face pulling.

« Reply #4058 on: 16 May, 2013, 11:26:10 am »
Was fun had last night?

I had a great time thanks. New route home 120km. Up to Epping then turn left and through Roydon, the Haddhams, turn right through Ugly, Henham, Tilty(?!?!), Duton Hill an then down to Stebbing, Felsted and home. Cracking ride through lots of scenery and villages which are new to me on some great single track lanes. Possibilty of some good looking pubs and comedy off road and farm tracks if that's your thing also, but not for me thanks :hand:

« Reply #4059 on: 16 May, 2013, 11:27:00 am »
Christophe - I've discussed with Tomsk, and I'm almost definitely going to do the Flatlands as a "helpers" ride, probably the week before as a route-check.  We should compare calendars some time.  I think the week after may also be an option for me.

SOunds like a plan. I'll check the calendar and let you know.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4060 on: 16 May, 2013, 11:37:40 am »
Was fun had last night?

I had a great time thanks. New route home 120km. Up to Epping then turn left and through Roydon, the Haddhams, turn right through Ugly, Henham, Tilty(?!?!), Duton Hill an then down to Stebbing, Felsted and home. Cracking ride through lots of scenery and villages which are new to me on some great single track lanes. Possibilty of some good looking pubs and comedy off road and farm tracks if that's your thing also, but not for me thanks :hand:

Sounds really good  :thumbsup:  Can you post a gpx on Bikeroutetoaster or similar?

« Reply #4061 on: 16 May, 2013, 01:51:46 pm »

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4062 on: 16 May, 2013, 05:27:16 pm »
Something like this

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2519226

Very good, thanks.  Might have to try that  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4063 on: 17 May, 2013, 09:01:46 am »
The King Billy was pretty busy as usual. A few pints of Cat's Whiskers [Colchester] Cream Stout consumed - excellent stuff  :thumbsup: Very pleasant to arrive at a venue in [just about] daylight.

Only the hard-core team of Oaky and myself upholding the MEMWNS honour.

bloomers100

« Reply #4064 on: 18 May, 2013, 07:58:42 am »
Mrs b and I will be at the Compasses beer festival this afternoon 'bout 3 I believe that whatsisface and chief will be there also. Just mentioning in case anyone's at a loose end.

« Reply #4065 on: 18 May, 2013, 11:59:35 am »
I was wondering where to ride today, so might make my way over for a bevy or two :-)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4066 on: 18 May, 2013, 02:59:23 pm »
My local pub, the Cross Inn in Great Bromley, has its beer festival next weekend. I can recommend them as a pub (and I assume the beers are OK).
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #4067 on: 18 May, 2013, 05:16:12 pm »
...or not. Stupid CO2 canisters. Got a puncture just before N.Hill, filled up with air, when I removed the CO2 the valve froze on and came with it! Just about had enough tyre pressure to limp to my parents house in HP at 8mph without risking damage to the rim. Dad didn't have the right adaptor, drove me to my flat to get my track pump (alas no spare gas).

So I'm now spiritually there at the Square and Compasses in Terling, didn't want to risk going that far out with no spares.

Next stop, Wiggle, to get tubes and gas (and tyres, my front tyre has more cuts in it than the UK govt budget).

Anyway, quick beer, then off!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4068 on: 18 May, 2013, 06:29:29 pm »
CO2 canisters are daft things. A decent pump is much better. Anyhow ...

I'm around on Wednesday evening. Where shall we go?

« Reply #4069 on: 18 May, 2013, 07:29:39 pm »
I should be out. I was looking at the pub on the harbour in Maldon. I already have a 25ish mile route that I do via there. I'll see if a little fettling can bump it up a little. It does have a bit of a slog back uphill, but you never know, it might be warm by then!

bloomers100

« Reply #4070 on: 19 May, 2013, 07:13:43 am »
I met up with Chief at the Compasses yesterday. All was in order. Whatsisface wasn't there as he was at his work's Christmas do??!  wtf  ???

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4071 on: 19 May, 2013, 08:15:31 am »
I should be out. I was looking at the pub on the harbour in Maldon. I already have a 25ish mile route that I do via there. I'll see if a little fettling can bump it up a little. It does have a bit of a slog back uphill, but you never know, it might be warm by then!

Works for me!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4072 on: 20 May, 2013, 11:23:22 am »

Works for me!
or wet, but that's okay cos my toes are still webbed after the Asparagus & Strawberries!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4073 on: 20 May, 2013, 12:00:41 pm »
So when are where are we meeting up on Wednesday evening?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4074 on: 20 May, 2013, 07:52:31 pm »
Any more on your list of CAMRA pubs OD, or good'uns to revisit?

Oaky suggested the Axe and Compasses at Aythorpe Roding as one on his to do list.....Maldon would be good too, though. Lots of good pubs there....