Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750862 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #1550 on: 15 September, 2010, 02:08:00 pm »
I'm on Facebook, shall we be friends???

Request sent :thumbsup:

Gotcha!  One day you you must explain your FB user name.  I thought токамак was obscure enough, how wrong I was!  I'm also intrigued by your Italian trip.

I just had a look and it's the Russian phrase that tokamak is short for (it's russian for toroidal chamber with megnetic coils or something like that)

I know.  I bet you can't Google his FB user name cos the Google search window isn't long enough.  I will let токамак reveal what it is if he wants to.

« Reply #1551 on: 15 September, 2010, 02:21:44 pm »
I guess no boss is going to look up "Toroidal'naya Kamera Magnitnykh Katushkakh"  :P

If I change my FB name to something other than my real name, will it just list me as whatever I change it to?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1552 on: 16 September, 2010, 07:34:20 pm »
Bumped into Tomsk today cycling near Pleshey (NW Chelmsford) and he said he'll probably see us tomorrow.

I'm planning to come along without puppy so won't be able to be there for the whole afternoon but should be OK for a couple of hours. James will have been cycle training in the morning but may stick around.

How are we all going to meet? Bobb, do you want me to meet you at the station or are you fine to meet up somewhere in Castle Park? I have Tomsk's phone number, and Oaky's, but not yours.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1553 on: 16 September, 2010, 07:35:25 pm »
Oh, and here's what's on in Colchester:

The route into Colchester comes via Tiptree, down Shrub End Rd, along Southway, up Magdalen St then down Brook St to East Hill.

Public are being encouraged to line the route throughout and for the final 1k. The route will be barriered for the final 1k to ensure spectator safety.

There will be a schools ‘Go Ride’ display on East Hill just before the race and the winners presentation will take place outside the war memorial at the close of the race.

To support this momentous occasion Essex County Council and Colchester Borough Council are organising a massive Cycling Festival in Colchester Castle Park which is free and open to all – cyclists and non cyclists alike!

The events will run from 10am – 7pm and as it’s situated so close to the finish line people can easily move between the two throughout the day.

Highlights of the event include the following. Please note that activities marked with a * are reserved for schools activity between 10am and 12.30pm. All activities are free unless otherwise noted.
Colchester High St 10am – 4pm

Cycling road show and Mega Bike time trial – Get cycling!

Come and try! A range of bikes available includingrecumbents, trikes, eccentric-wheeled bikes, tandems, unicycles, folding, commuting and special needs bikes, trailers, etc. Trained and informative staff and an information stand giving away lots of goodies. 25 to 30 bikes available so there’s plenty for all! Music and MC throughout the day.

Also Mega Bike time trials – come and see how fast you are on one of our 7 seater bikes! Just turn up and have a go, either in a team or we’ll help you find some team mates on the day! £300 of cycling vouchers to the fastest team.
Colchester Castle Park 10am – 7pm

Race participants and vehicles willmove to Hollytrees Meadow for about an hour after the finish of the race. Not only will this be a great spectacle but the public will have full access for freebies, autographs etc. How often do you get the chance to get this close to internationally renowned sportsmen?
* Primary schools Bikability area 10am – 12.30pm only
* University of Essex Human Performance Unit Sprint Tests

Measure your peak and average power over a short sprint. Prizes available!
* Mobile BMX park

Try out your skills on our mobile BMX ramp system.  No skateboards – sorry!
* Try a bike!

A range of unusual and different bikes to be tried
* BMX dirt track

Come and try our off road BMX course! Also suitable for mountain bikes
* Rollapaluzas / Turbo Trainers

Static bikes with mobile display and distance measurement
* Cycle and Seek

Bike sculpture, creative writing, poetry and performance – all related to cycling!
* Bike powered music stage

Powered by EMS – and 6 bikes! Poetry and performance throughout the day.

4pm Martin Newell

5pm – 7pm Cycle and Seek performance art / dance on exercise bikes

Further acts TBC

Display of vintage bikes from ECC heritage including a 1860s boneshaker, a 1880s ordinary and early pneumatic track bikes

Cycle Colchester area with information, free goodies and bike smoothie maker!

Colchester Castle will open late and charge only £1 entry to mark the occasion!

Spinning and Pacing displays and activities from Top Notch Health Club and Colchester Leisure World

Dr Bike – come and get your bike looked at for free!

Operation Velo – Police bike check and security assistance and advice

Stalls and displays from

Info stand / Colchester Visitor Information

Tour of Britain

CTC

Colchester Chamber of Commerce

John Fowlers

Colchester Better Town Centre

Provision Clothing

Mule Bars

And many more

Strolling entertainers including stilt walking

Local wines, beers, soft drinks and oysters from Mersea Island Vineyard

Other catering at the event includes giant pan paella, tartiflette (Swiss alpine dish), merguez (French spicy sausage), olives and salads, sausages, burgers, crepes, meat dishes, sweets, tea, coffee and soft drinks
Grass track racing – booking required

From 5pm – 7pm on 17 September Colchester Rovers will be organising a spectacular grass track racing activity in Hollytrees Meadow.

Will your business take part? Can you win the trophy for best business team at this prestigious event?!

Local businesses are being invited to enter teams of 3 – 4 cyclists. Cyclists need to provide their own bikes and helmets – mountain bikes are ideal! A variety of races will be run throughout the afternoon including team sprints, heats and scratch races. The overall winning team will be announced and presented with a trophy at the close of the event.

Limited places are available on this event so e mail acheverst@ntlworld.com NOW to register your interest. Entries cost £20 per team which will be donated to the Mayors Charities. Entries need to be received by 5pm on Friday 10 September

All this and much much more! See you there!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1554 on: 16 September, 2010, 08:32:02 pm »
How are we all going to meet? Bobb, do you want me to meet you at the station or are you fine to meet up somewhere in Castle Park? I have Tomsk's phone number, and Oaky's, but not yours.

I shall be in Colchester for a "Breakfast" meeting at 11:30 which should last no longer than hour. Scratch that - it will not last any longer than an hour!  :P

I shall then make my way to the general area of the finish.

My mobly number will be in your PM box in a few seconds time......

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #1555 on: 17 September, 2010, 06:45:06 pm »
What a cracking day. I was amazed at he size of the infrastructure that is the ToB, I know it's not a match for the TdF but impressive to me none the less.

Great to see you all here are the best of my photos, not as sharp as they could be........

grimacing all the way

coaches

brad

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1556 on: 17 September, 2010, 08:27:33 pm »
Fantastic pics   :thumbsup: - I haven't looked at any of mine yet (I need to recharge the camera battery - it died at the end) but I'm betting none of mine are a patch on those.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1557 on: 17 September, 2010, 10:46:42 pm »
Mini-report:-

I met up with Tomsk at Witham station and we got on the 0721 to Bury St Edmunds.  Tomsk had brought his race bike which worried me slightly.  It even had gears.  :o

A fairly uneventful journey apart from the jobsworth National Express East Anglia guards at Ipswich (we were already on the train - i.e. we weren't changing trains or anything) one of whom insisted we move our bikes to another carriage, the other of which insisted that he could only let two more bikes onto said carriage (there were other bikes waiting to get on, but thankfully they gave way to us since we'd already been on).

On arrival at BSE, we trundled down to that start area, arriving around 0845 and found a cafe for a quick bacon roll and coffee.  I also spotted a traditional sweetshop opposite and nipped in for a ~quarter of midget gems (which were properly good, with *real* black ones!).

We moved down to the start area, watched some signing on and the various guest riders assembling for the pre-ride parade and the race start.

Tomsk met a number of folks who knew him from Audaxes (including Ed Nevard, who even I knew having done his Witham Westerly a couple of times).

Once the Tour riders were underway and the chase vehicles had cleared the way, we followed their route out of BSE, following the helpful route arrows through town.

We peeled off the A143 onto our shortcut route to Lavenham and put the hammer down a bit.  Suffolk does roll a bit, and I got a great workout trying to stay on the Tomskinator's wheel, despite the perfect weather (sunny, not too warm, with a light tailwind).

We joined the ToB route north of Lavenham, and followed it through Lavenham (where we were cheered through be some really good crowds) and on to the KoM climb at Milden.  I asked Tomsk at the bottom if we should have a little KoM race and he was agreeable,  I set off felling strong and tried to pull away.  I made a small gap, but Tomsk soon reeled me in and came through, and although I tried to stay with him, I realised I'd gone too hard too soon and had no legs for it.  He was miles ahead by the KoM finish.  We ate midget gems to celebrate.  We arived around 20-25 mins ahead of the race, and picked a good spot at the start of the finish section.

We had a grand view of the race coming through, bang on the race manual "fast" schedule time of 11:45, then, once again, chased them on their route for a short while on through Groton and Boxford (resisting the temptation to nip to Edwardstone for a pint), before citting down through Stoke by Nayland and on to Boxted Straight Road (after a minor navigational detour) and across the A12 towards Colchester.

Having, as we thought, at least an hour before we needed to be at the finish, we popped into the Dog and Pheasant on Nayland road for a swift half and a toilet break.  it took a while to get served though (I was just behind a big group of lads playing pool who couldn't decide what they all wanted to drink).  while we were drinking up, i double checked the race manual and we realised that the 14:00 finish ont e fast schedule which i'd been assuming was wrong and it was actually estimated at 13:40.  We decided we'd better get  move on, and started up at pace again.

As it was, we were well within time -- I'd reckon even by the time we got to the 25 metre vantage point through the crowds we still had at least 25 minutes spare.

I can, however, confirm that, in addition to the evidence we already found to prove that Tomsk does actually eat solid food, I have now heard him breathing.  (Even over my own gasping and wheezing up all the hills, I distinctly heard him breathing slightly heavily on at least two occasions).  Either he's not the android we'd been assuming he was, or he's improving his cover.

After the race, we met up with bloomers100, Auntie Helen and bobb and retired to a pub (at about the 250m form the finish mark) for a few drinks where Uncle James joined up with us.  A bit of silliness with bloomers100's Honda slapons ensued.

Eventually we parted ways (I walked a bit of the way with bloomers100 and bobb, then parted company then joined up again with them when road closures modified our routes outbound).  A couple of merry locals took a fancy to my legs, and we said our second set of goodbyes.

I rode back to Tiptree on the reverse or the race route, then jinked right onto the NCN route through Gt Braxted.  I arrived back home just after 5pm, just in time for tea with the Acorns.

My mileage for the day was  52.63  at an average of 15.3mph (it was well over 16.5 maybe even 17 by the time we got to Colchester, but the walking through the crowds killed it). 

A lovely day out in the September sun.   ;D ;D ;D

Postscriptum

Invariably as seems to happen when I go anywhere, there was an absolutely shockingly bad overtake within less than a mile of home.  A caravan-pulling pickup-type vehicle (chavtank? chavpanzer?) came through too close on the approach to a mini-roundabout.  his caravan came even closer and scared the pants off me.  He then got stuck in the traffic queue so I easily caught him and had a word.

"Your caravan nearly hit me there - you shouldn't be overtaking that close"

"Err.. sorry.  There were cars coming the other way though - I couldn't give more room"

"then you shouldn't have been overtaking at all - it was f*cking pointless anyway - we would't be having this conversation if staying behind me would have delayed you"

"i said sorry!"

He went on to say that I was upsetting his son (in the front passenger seat).  I pointed out that it wasn't as upsetting as it woudl have been for my children if I'd been mashed under his caravan.

To be fair, he did seem truly apologetic, and I left it by just asking that he be  more considerate in future.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1558 on: 17 September, 2010, 11:14:20 pm »
Oh and my rolling time (including wheeling bike along platforms and through crowds) for the ~53 miles was almost exactly (within about a minute) equal to the race time for ~95 miles.

« Reply #1559 on: 17 September, 2010, 11:16:21 pm »
Pics of some people on bicycles....

Some bloke

Some bloke

Some blokes

Some bloke

Some bloke

Some bloke

Some blokes

Some blokes

Some bloke

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1560 on: 17 September, 2010, 11:43:56 pm »
I can help with one caption:- "some bloke" #<number> was Greipel.

Nice pics!

« Reply #1561 on: 18 September, 2010, 07:31:47 am »
Actually, I thought that was Greipel but wasn't sure.

Who's the Sky rider in the British National Champ's jersey? Gezza Thomas?

bloomers100

« Reply #1562 on: 18 September, 2010, 08:09:58 am »
yep that's him.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1563 on: 18 September, 2010, 02:56:57 pm »
Just watched the race on ITV4 - saw my trike near the finish, and presumably Bobb and I were the mysterious people standing next to it.

bloomers100

« Reply #1564 on: 18 September, 2010, 04:12:27 pm »
oops nearly forgot

bobb said he hadn't been to that pub before

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1565 on: 18 September, 2010, 04:14:15 pm »
The injustice!  :hand:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1566 on: 19 September, 2010, 07:02:14 pm »
    'Twas a great day out, thanks for your company, Oaky, I enjoyed our little races, especially being cheered by the school kids in Lavenham. [Hopefully not TOO ironically!] Good to meet Helen, James, Bobb and Bloomers afterwards too, as well as various other acquantances: very impressive numbers of CC Sudbury bunking off work!
    Saturday's stage in Docklands was brill too, even busier as you'd expect, but much more room to manoevre, especially around the podium area. Highlight was the champagne fight, in which one of the 'hostesses' got a direct hit in the cleavage. Albasini had probably been plucking up courage to do that all week!
    Saw Geraint Thomas being picked up afterwards by his mum and dad, aw bless, it was just like school sports day.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1567 on: 26 September, 2010, 07:33:00 pm »
Anyone free this Wednesday?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1568 on: 27 September, 2010, 07:59:00 pm »
   I'm going to the Compasses at Littley Green tomorrow evening with at least one Dunmovian. Probably be there around 8.30pm.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1569 on: 27 September, 2010, 08:29:50 pm »
   I'm going to the Compasses at Littley Green tomorrow evening with at least one Dunmovian. Probably be there around 8.30pm.

I is busy I is afraid.  I imagine my next visit to the Compasses will be to pick up my Compasses cycle jersey  :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1570 on: 28 September, 2010, 05:52:50 pm »
Yikes, just found this video. Spot the Auntie Helen and Bobb...

Tour of Britain 2010 Stage 7 Colchester &laquo; Essex Days Out

« Reply #1571 on: 28 September, 2010, 06:43:35 pm »
It's my monthly petroleum based club meet so I won't be about  :(

Have a good one :thumbsup:

bloomers100

« Reply #1572 on: 28 September, 2010, 06:48:53 pm »
Yikes, just found this video. Spot the Auntie Helen and Bobb...

Tour of Britain 2010 Stage 7 Colchester &laquo; Essex Days Out

Tee hee, AH's excitement is clear, very sweet of you to wave at the nice policemen too.

« Reply #1573 on: 28 September, 2010, 06:59:18 pm »
We're famous!!  :P

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1574 on: 28 September, 2010, 07:00:11 pm »
Infamous!