Author Topic: Cleaning chain tubes  (Read 1202 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Cleaning chain tubes
« on: 03 May, 2020, 11:54:02 am »
IMG_1258 by mark tilley, on Flickr

IMG_1259 by mark tilley, on Flickr

IMG_1260 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Whist extending the chain today, after letting the boom out another 10mm, i thought of this idea, with an old thick cotton bootlace. The good thing is that if you tilt the bike over on its stand to lift the back wheel,  then a backwards and forwards actiion, will result in muliitple passes, scouring out the crud.....result!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Cleaning chain tubes
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2020, 12:02:41 pm »
My preferred method is to remove the chain (if I'm cleaning the tubes, it's getting a Sheldon Shake anyway), then pass a degreaser-soaked tampon tied to a brake cable inner through the tubes a couple of times in the same direction.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2020, 12:05:13 pm »
My preferred method is to remove the chain (if I'm cleaning the tubes, it's getting a Sheldon Shake anyway), then pass a degreaser-soaked tampon tied to a brake cable inner through the tubes, in the same direction, a couple of times.

Ah!  ::-) didn't have one of those to hand..., and I didn't take the chain off.  Perhaps if I could catch a mouse.....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 03 May, 2020, 12:13:43 pm »
That bootlace method could be particularly handy in the field, when your recumbent has a small rear wheel and you've neglected to change into small:small before riding on the recently-cut grass.

« Reply #4 on: 03 May, 2020, 12:30:54 pm »
But I don't have boot laces on my sandals...... ::-)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2020, 07:29:45 pm »
I use small piece of cloth socked in WD40 and use curtain wire to pull it through,
I like the idea of the boot lace  :thumbsup: