Author Topic: Indian Pacific Wheel Race.  (Read 51057 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Indian Pacific Wheel Race.
« Reply #300 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:16:36 am »
Regardless whether or not a particular race requires lights, it would appear to be in the selfish interest of the racer to be lit up like a 'Christmas Tree'.

Of course drivers are usually the responsible party when cyclists are hit, but it is pretty difficult to argue the toss from the grave.

perhaps they are saying that you should not use a black jacket at night and rather use something like the new Proviz REFLECT360 CRS jackets? ... hi viz for day, and it turns super bright at night:

"perhaps" isn't really the desired outcome for a rule though. A rule should define what is and isn't acceptable.   
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #301 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:36:04 am »
You can wear whatever you think makes you safe; but please don't tell me what to wear, or how to equip/ride my bike.

Not hurting others and complying with the law suits me fine,  thanks.

Amen to that!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #302 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:38:31 am »
The type of jacket as available at PBP can even be a safety hazard. It's that hot that on a warm night the risk of overheating is serious. And overheating leads to drowsiness and falling asleep.
That's why I had a seperate non windstopper gilet at PBP (with the apropriate EN markings).

Which one were you using? I have a very simple runners hivi I got so that I could at least attempt to comply with french law when cycling through France at xmas, but am thinking I may need something more suitable for cycling for the summer.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #303 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:49:17 am »
The best one IMHO is the Sportful one, which is minimalist so not too warm.
Halfords are giving them away for £5 ATM.  I paid many times that much for mine a couple of years ago.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-clothing/jackets-gilets/sportful-reflex-bretelle-en-471

Edit, just seen they are out of stock.  Might be available elsewhere

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #304 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:51:31 am »
The best one IMHO is the Sportful one, which is minimalist so not too warm.
Halfords are giving them away for £5 ATM.  I paid many times that much for mine a couple of years ago.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-clothing/jackets-gilets/sportful-reflex-bretelle-en-471

Edit, just seen they are out of stock.  Might be available elsewhere

They make a bit of a strong claim as to its powers though:
a high visibility vest that ensures you stay safe at all times whether out on your bike or in the workplace.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #305 on: 13 February, 2018, 11:53:53 am »
No wonder it's out of stock if it is that good!

« Reply #306 on: 13 February, 2018, 02:11:43 pm »
Silly!

That remark is non-excellent.

Please remain excellent!

Are you his mother?

« Reply #307 on: 13 February, 2018, 02:39:22 pm »
Those gilets always seem to be very flappy, non-aero things to me.

Would have through a retro-reflective belt over strong solid colours (international orange preferred) would be as good and more adaptable.

There is precious little cycling gear in 'international orange'. I seem to recall a discussion years ago that pointed out how fluoro yellow disappeared against a backdrop of streetlights, and some of the 'strong' colours vanished against a backdrop of trees and stone walls.
The consensus seemed to be that something like a dark top with a square or triangle in a colour like international orange or fluoro yellow stood out the best in all circumstances. Never seen anything like this on the market though.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #308 on: 13 February, 2018, 02:41:07 pm »
Silly!

Hardly.   I think your response has more to do with the poster than the remark.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #309 on: 13 February, 2018, 02:49:26 pm »
International orange is the colour they use on the Golden Gate Bridge, isn't it? Presumably chosen for some other reason than worrying about it not being seen! Maybe to show up its graceful lines in order to wow tourists under all weather conditions (cue Mark Twain quotes).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #310 on: 13 February, 2018, 03:01:12 pm »
No, it is the colour of lifejackets, and that daytime proviz jacket. Very solid bright orange that shows up in most conditions.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #311 on: 13 February, 2018, 03:05:45 pm »
I must admit I find it way less visible than yellow.  Admittedly it's only about 5% of people who have a colour vision defect and not all of those will be the same, but don't blame me if I crash into you because you weren't wearing regulation yellow hi-viz  :P

« Reply #312 on: 13 February, 2018, 03:23:08 pm »
That's why it needs to be combined with another colour.

A solid orange/Yellow square on a black background shows up better for people who are colour-blind than jagged/random arrangements of colours. It will just be a lighter colour on a dark background.

Some cycling tops amount to a good version of dazzle camouflage!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #313 on: 13 February, 2018, 03:28:30 pm »

Funny you should say that, I like this, other than the stooopid price

It's even called the dazzle range  :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #314 on: 13 February, 2018, 03:34:50 pm »
Wikipedia (no less – and no more!) lists Golden Gate Bridge as one tone of international orange.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_orange
It also lists a separate safety orange
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_orange
which seems to more one specific shade.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #315 on: 13 February, 2018, 03:39:52 pm »

Funny you should say that, I like this, other than the stooopid price

It's even called the dazzle range  :facepalm:

... or my latest cycling purchase.  It's got 'fluo' in the name so it must be good right?

« Reply #316 on: 13 February, 2018, 03:44:40 pm »
^^^ There's a guy in the cycle shed next to ours who has that top and matching bib shorts, camo it 'aint.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #317 on: 13 February, 2018, 03:54:01 pm »
Silly!

Please remain excellent!

Are you his mother?

As I understand it, C3PO is inanimate and has no offspring.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #318 on: 13 February, 2018, 05:37:09 pm »
Silly!

Hardly.   I think your response has more to do with the poster than the remark.
The funny thing is that Charlie/Kenneth has posted many less logical rebuttals. (and I'm not including him calling me a twat).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #319 on: 13 February, 2018, 07:16:37 pm »
The type of jacket as available at PBP can even be a safety hazard. It's that hot that on a warm night the risk of overheating is serious. And overheating leads to drowsiness and falling asleep.
That's why I had a seperate non windstopper gilet at PBP (with the apropriate EN markings).

Which one were you using? I have a very simple runners hivi I got so that I could at least attempt to comply with french law when cycling through France at xmas, but am thinking I may need something more suitable for cycling for the summer.

J

The official PBP one is too hot (2015 edition). I used a runners one from Decathlon.

dim

« Reply #320 on: 13 February, 2018, 08:39:31 pm »
They're very sweaty according to owners to whom I have spoken.

I don't have a Proviz jacket yet, but I will definatey get one as I commute throughout the year (sun or snow), and  I ride  for approx 1 1/2 hrs in pitch darkness during winter ... I leave home at 5am and get home at 19h15.

The guys who you can spot from very far in the dark, are the guys wearing the Proviz jackets.

I think that the old jackets (that look grey in the day) could be the ones your friends are refering to .... There are new Proviz Jackets now that may have adressed the issue of being 'too warm or sweaty)?

Not cheap (£159.99), but these are the new Proviz jackets:

https://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/reflect360-crs-plus-mens-cycling-jacket.html

they have one that cost even more £229.99

https://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/reflect360-elite-mens-cycling-jacket.html

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #321 on: 13 February, 2018, 08:47:31 pm »
YMMV, but my friend who has a grey one is complaining that as well as being boil in the bag, his is no longer waterproof.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #322 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:29:55 pm »
Provis jackets are truly spectacular for spotting from a long way away in the dark, but can be unpleasant to ride behind in a group.

(I remain sceptical that being visible from a long way away gives a real safety benefit in terms of not being hit by motorists, but it's awesome bling, a completely retroreflective jacket could give you WTF factor[1], and I suppose it might help rescuers find you quickly if something goes wrong.)

[1] The process by which recumbents get given more overtaking room and better junction priority respect than regular DF bikes.

dim

« Reply #323 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:34:38 pm »
Provis jackets are truly spectacular for spotting from a long way away in the dark, but can be unpleasant to ride behind in a group.

(I remain sceptical that being visible from a long way away gives a real safety benefit in terms of not being hit by motorists, but it's awesome bling, a completely retroreflective jacket could give you WTF factor, and I suppose it might help rescuers find you quickly if something goes wrong.)

so en'lighten' me .... what would you wear ?
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #324 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:42:24 pm »
so en'lighten' me .... what would you wear ?

Whatever was appropriate for the weather conditions.

I've chosen jackets based on fit, affordability and how well it could breathe.  In the absence of any that can breathe effectively, I've chosen cheap ones that fit, and rarely wear them.  They have some retroreflectives on them, which is fine, but it doesn't contribute anything to my safety as it's usually rolled up in my bag.