Author Topic: electric bike /scooter fires...  (Read 1966 times)

electric bike /scooter fires...
« on: 01 August, 2023, 05:41:03 pm »
There are some dramatic & tragic examples of e-bike fires out there.  Saw a version of this:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/XxwQgKn0uUE
From starting to smoke to raging fire was 10-15secs (scooter in kitchen).  So 'not leaving unattended' i.e. going out doesn't cover it - seems to be nothing you can do.  Guessing these fires are much more likely with inferior non-mainstream battery products though... 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: electric bike /scooter fires...
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2023, 05:43:08 pm »
IF you don't leave it unattended, there is a chance you can chuck it out in the street and just lose the bike, rather than your entire house/flat (plus endangering other people in the building).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2023, 05:52:56 pm »
I'm not aware of any of the mainstream manufacturers e-bikes going up in flames.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2023, 10:47:31 pm »
I'm not aware of any of the mainstream manufacturers e-bikes going up in flames.

The reports I've read say usually DIY adaptions including badly matched batteries to chargers. A friend bought a battery etc from a popular online auction site and a motor to fit his Brommie and built it up/adapted it and this is what the fire brigades are saying is the problem.
         I wouldn't like to get anywhere near a fire involving one as speed of it going up and possibly exploding is extremely high
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 27 October, 2023, 11:03:36 pm »
badly matched batteries to chargers.

Would be top of my list of ways to start a Li+ battery fire.  Closely followed by inadequately designed charging circuitry.  And then physical damage.

Properly-managed Li+ batteries (ie. those, including charging systems, from reputable manufacturers) are reasonably well behaved these days.  We don't generally expect phones or laptops to catch fire unless damaged.

A lot of these low-end scooter/ebike systems seem to be about as trustworthy as a no-name USB battery bank.  But bigger.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #5 on: 27 October, 2023, 11:18:06 pm »
When I eventually get an e-bike, the charger will be installed not-in-the-house. Probably in a waterproof box affixed to the side of the pond (where I already have outdoor electrics).

« Reply #6 on: 27 October, 2023, 11:25:36 pm »
Physical damage seems more likely for scooters, where the batteries are under the deck. Could get bashed every time you hop up on a kerb, or go over a speed bump, or hit a pothole etc.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 28 October, 2023, 10:31:57 am »
Some have the battery just behind the steering column. I think this is more for ease of access (swapping) than to reduce physical damage.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8 on: 30 October, 2023, 11:12:56 am »
Properly-managed Li+ batteries (ie. those, including charging systems, from reputable manufacturers) are reasonably well behaved these days.

Yep, but bear in mind that because of the persisting government refusal to regulate e-scooters properly beyond the "pilot" schemes, there is no legal market for privately owned Li battery e-scooters from reputable manufacturers in the UK.  As a consequence, while you have reputable Bosch and Shimano systems covering much of the e-bike market, you have grey market crap filling the e-scooter one.  At a system or national level, blaming careless owners for this is somewhat daft (not aimed at you).