Author Topic: Silly cyclepath obstructions  (Read 44150 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Silly cyclepath obstructions
« Reply #75 on: 28 November, 2020, 05:55:51 pm »
Crossover episode with the 'Bridges for CrinklyLion' thread just along from the above:  Starring barakta, an ICE trike with Shiny! New! steering, some shitehawks, assorted PSOs, a CrossCountry Voyager and the department of gentrification's finest Weighted Companion Cubes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f48-J1Vl4Lo

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #76 on: 28 November, 2020, 06:10:42 pm »
At least she didn't reverse down the steps  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #77 on: 28 November, 2020, 06:12:40 pm »
At least she didn't reverse down the steps  :thumbsup:

At least that would have been quicker...

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #78 on: 28 November, 2020, 06:17:59 pm »
Time to molish an independently steerable rear wheel.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #79 on: 29 November, 2020, 11:43:44 am »
And what standard was that built to? Not even wide enough if she'd met anyone coming the other way.

Also: That orangey-yellow (could be yellowy-orange) colour on parts of the surface is unattractive.
And finally: I never realized that 'yakety sax' was the same thing as the Benny Hill tune.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #80 on: 29 November, 2020, 12:57:41 pm »
And what standard was that built to? Not even wide enough if she'd met anyone coming the other way.

I was thinking that.  It's a useful pedestrian shortcut between the Shiny! New! retail park and student accommodation, and Silly Oak High Street, so was quite busy with PSOs heading to and from the shops.  The bridge itself is a respectable width, but the steps to it aren't, so some of the pedestrians were taking the comedy ramp route to give the others space for coronalurgi reasons.  One of them, halfway up the ramp and therefore thoroughly committed, remarked "I feel like I'm blocking the ramp if someone in a wheelchair wants to come down".  A couple of pedestrains, or two-wheeled cyclists could pass okay, but I doubt that, say, a wheelchair user could pass a pushchair easily.

Fortunately, there are a couple of more sensible alternative routes for cyclists, so its inaccessibility to cycles isn't as concerning as the steps pictured above (which I've now realised are how towpath users are expected to cross the Lapal Canal, if they manage to reconnect it to the Birmingham & Worcester).

I'm still unclear as to who is responsible for the bridge.  I can't find anything on the council website.  There's a page by the developers boasting about how it will increase footfall to the retail opportunities, but nothing planning related.

« Reply #81 on: 29 November, 2020, 01:17:53 pm »
Parental advisory warning for Sweary Barakta  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #82 on: 29 November, 2020, 01:21:23 pm »
Parental advisory warning for Sweary Barakta  :thumbsup:

I made her wait at the foot of the ramp while I rode up, left the bike at the top and got ready to video, which meant that she remained unspoilered for that authentic reaction.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #83 on: 29 November, 2020, 01:36:12 pm »
I feel quite tired now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #84 on: 24 March, 2022, 06:57:13 pm »

Posted previously on the rant thread:

These barriers are on all the access points (6 from memory) to Hob Moor in York.

They are all grouped with a kissing gate and a standard gate with a RADAR key for wheelchair users etc.

Bit of a thread resurrection, but I headed across Hob Moor today, having heard that the  baseplates of the access control barriers had been removed. Somewhat of a surprise to find that it was true, all of the baseplates have been removed and it is now possible to ride straight through them - even on a Brompton!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome