Author Topic: Restarting your RRty - UPDATED GUIDANCE  (Read 4780 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Restarting your RRty - UPDATED GUIDANCE
« on: 02 July, 2020, 06:49:11 pm »
Following the decision to restart validations in August, the rules governing RRtY have been updated. The text below is from this page https://audax.uk/awards-pages/randonneur-round-the-year/rrty-and-covid-19/ on the AUK web site. The bit I've pasted gives the main points but there's also a FAQ section on the page that I've linked to above.

It had been hoped to offer complete flexibility over restarting, so that a member could ride a 200km event during, say, August and restart their RRtY later in the year, but this proved to be impossible as it would have demanded an unreasonable amount of manual intervention on the part of the RRtY Secretary, who already puts in a considerable amount of his own time administering the awards.

With the planned resumption of DIY and permanent events from the 1st August we realise that riders will be keen to know how they can continue any RRtYs in progress before the shutdown in March.

As a reminder, in order to qualify for inclusion in the RRtY Roll of Honour, you need to complete a Randonnée (minimum 200km, either calendar event, Permanent or DIY) in each of any twelve consecutive calendar months.  This is rightly valued as an award only the hardiest of riders can aspire to and this is why it is so highly esteemed by riders and the Audax community.  COVID-19 has caused an unavoidable break and we want to give riders the possibility to resume the challenge with some flexibility whilst respecting the difficulty of the challenge and taking into account that RRtY validation must remain workable for the RRtY secretary.

We offer the following advice:

The last ride before the enforced stop in validation may have been in Feb 2020 or Mar 2020.  If you had a ride in March it will be counted.

The six months grace period refers to the restart period starting from 1st August 2020 and ending at the end of January 2021.  Therefore the latest restart date for an RRTY to be considered for validation is during February 2021.

Once a rider has completed a ride that qualifies for RRtY they have reset their RRtY in motion and need to complete the RRtY without any further missed months.  Any validated ride of minimum 200km will restart the clock on your RRtY therefore we advise you to consider carefully when you restart your rides.  If you take part in a ride but do not wish to restart your RRtY you must request that this ride is not validated.

Additionally we appreciate that some riders had multiple RRtY attempts in progress at the time of suspension and offer the following further advice as multiple concurrent RRtYs give rise to further complications:

You may have completed fewer rides in March than the number of series in progress.  In this case rides in March will be allocated to the longest running series first.  Any additional series will count as having their last ride in February.
If you had multiple RRtY attempts in progress you must restart all series in the same calendar month.  If you have any validated ride in a month prior this restarts the clock on all RRtY attempts in progress; therefore you must consider carefully when you wish to restart riding validated events.

We kindly request that RRtY claims covering the period of suspension are sent in as soon as possible after completion in order that the inevitable difficulty of validation is handled by the current RRtY secretary who is fully conversant with the unique situation.

The following examples are designed to help explain these rules in practice:

Example 1

Rider j has ridden qualifying rides from August 2019 to February 2020 (i.e. has completed 7 months).  This rider can restart during any month from August 2020 to February 2021 inclusive.  The remaining 5 rides must occur in consecutive months, so If the rider restarts in August then she must complete rides in Aug/Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec to complete the RRTY.  Alternatively if she restarts in November then she must ride in Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar to complete the challenge.

Example 2

Rider z has 2 RRtY series in progress starting August 2019 and Jan 2020 respectively.  The rider completed only 1 ride in March before suspension.

Series A currently comprises rides from August 2019 - March 2020 (i.e. 8 month completed).  Series B will count as Jan 2020 - Feb 2020 (i.e. 2 months completed).

In order to complete both series, the rider must complete 2 qualifying rides for 4 consecutive months and 1 qualifying ride for the subsequent six months in order to complete both series.  So if the first ride after restart is in November 2020 there must be 2 qualifying rides in each month November 2020 - Feb 2021 inclusive and one ride in March 2021-August 2021 inclusive.

Note that there must be no "one-off" validated qualifying rides before November 2020 as this would count towards the first series and the second series would lapse.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Re: Restarting your RRty - UPDATED GUIDANCE
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2020, 09:26:09 pm »
Or just start again in August,  a lot simpler and personally i cant claim a rrty with a 4 month gap in it, just seems very wrong.

dat

« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2020, 09:51:50 pm »
Or just start again in August,  a lot simpler and personally i cant claim a rrty with a 4 month gap in it, just seems very wrong.
I agree with this. Is there anyway to start fresh in August?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2020, 10:04:03 pm »
Starting again in August is what I will be doing. Since the RRtY is claimed by the rider, not automatically, when a series starts is up to the rider.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2020, 11:56:20 pm »
I had three RRTYs on the go and had done two of my March rides before lockdown. I’ll probably just restart all three in August as per the perfectly fair rules set out above. I’m certainly not keen on chucking away all the rides I did over the last winter. The missed months of April, May, June and July are generally the easiest months for RRTY, whereas my RRTYs will each require going through a second winter so will be more challenging than usual.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2020, 06:52:54 am »
This is the level of common sense and reasonable-ness that we should all aspire to.

The potential restart in February means that a cynical rider can make the challenge marginally 'easier' by avoiding the winter rides but it allows for different rules in different countries to be accommodated in a straightforward way.

Well done AUK.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2020, 09:51:34 am »

Same here.
@CorbieLinnRider

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2020, 10:17:28 am »
As I posted over here in the RRtY log thread there is a webpage where the latest information will be posted.  IF any updates are required due to health situation changes refer to the RRtY and COVID-19 advice and FAQ
For existing RRtY series affected by the suspension period validations will be processed as though the hiatus months never happened between February/March 2020, whichever was your last qualifying ride in a series, and the first month between August 2020 to February/March 2021 you have a qualifying ride validated in your results record. These are the rules that the AUK Board have agreed and, for the consistency of series validations for all riders, will be applied in that way.

The potential restart in February means that a cynical rider can make the challenge marginally 'easier' by avoiding the winter rides [/snip]
This is the concession made by the Board because to get up to Feb/Mar you have already ridden through winter months, so it is possible to restart in the same 2021 calendar month you last rode in 2020, if you so wish.

I had three RRTYs on the go and had done two of my March rides before lockdown. I’ll probably just restart all three in August as per the perfectly fair rules set out above. [/snip]
Sounds like your intention is to do this, however, remember that the if you validate any RRtY qualifying ride in August you must ride for all 3 series in August too or break series 2 and/or 3.  If you cannot ride 3 times in August choose a start month up to February when you can manage 3 rides, if you want to keep all 3 series going.

RRtY Secretary
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #8 on: 03 July, 2020, 01:07:47 pm »
This is the level of common sense and reasonable-ness that we should all aspire to.

The potential restart in February means that a cynical rider can make the challenge marginally 'easier' by avoiding the winter rides but it allows for different rules in different countries to be accommodated in a straightforward way.

Well done AUK.
I'm not sure about easier as not riding any breverts for 6 months may be harder than riding them, and even so, the winter months have already been ridden last winter, so no ha r der than a normal year.

Anyway I didnt ride a 200 in February so I doubt I'll worry about claiming March as start of a rrty, but I did have a run of succesful AAA rides from November to March, so I'm hoping the same rule will be applied by the aaa man. APART encompassing 2 winters will be a risk, as the hilly roads necessary to achieve the climbing are the ones I would avoid on subzero days as they are less likely to be gritted

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #9 on: 03 July, 2020, 02:18:50 pm »
I started my 11th RRtY attempt in January 2020 & my 12th in February, I managed to do 2 rides in March so it's my intention to carry on from March starting again in August, the reason I'm doing this is because my rides in Jan, Feb & March were incredibly hard due to the lousy weather on the days I rode, Straight on at Rosie's was a Gale with 60 miles of hard headwind & North West Passage was on a day with severe weather warnings, floods, 60 mph winds & horizontal rain, probably my hardest 200 to date, I feel I want to include those rides because of the hard time I had doing them.

« Reply #10 on: 05 July, 2020, 09:23:42 am »

I know where you are coming from - I completed a DIY 200k on 29th Feb, the day of Storm George, it took me 7hrs to get from Shotley Gate to Cambridge in 40/45mph headwind, driving rain and two punctures, afterwards I felt I could tackle anything.

« Reply #11 on: 18 August, 2020, 11:46:50 am »
I restarted my third RRTY with a perm on August 8th. That was the fifth ride with previous months being November, December, January and February. If I complete successfully the last ride will be in March and (in my opinion) it will have been a tougher challenge than my previous two as I did not ride in the "easy" months of March, April, May, June and July.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 18 August, 2020, 01:19:43 pm »

Question, if I attempt a DIY 200 in August, but DNF (or DNS), does that mean my RRTY is restarted? Or does it restart when I successfully complete a DIY200 ?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #13 on: 18 August, 2020, 01:23:46 pm »
From https://audax.uk/awards-pages/randonneur-round-the-year/rrty-and-covid-19/

Any validated ride of minimum 200km will restart the clock on your RRtY therefore we advise you to consider carefully when you restart your rides.  If you take part in a ride but do not wish to restart your RRtY you must request that this ride is not validated.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 18 August, 2020, 01:26:11 pm »
From https://audax.uk/awards-pages/randonneur-round-the-year/rrty-and-covid-19/

Any validated ride of minimum 200km will restart the clock on your RRtY therefore we advise you to consider carefully when you restart your rides.  If you take part in a ride but do not wish to restart your RRtY you must request that this ride is not validated.

Yeah, i read that, and didn't understand what it means. Is a DNF asking for it not to be validated?

J
--

« Reply #15 on: 18 August, 2020, 01:29:59 pm »
If your 200k is validated your RRTY will have restarted.  There are many ways of not getting a ride validated - DNF is one of them.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 18 August, 2020, 01:33:10 pm »
If your 200k is validated your RRTY will have restarted.  There are many ways of not getting a ride validated - DNF is one of them.

Excellent, so I don't need to worry that if I screw up my first 200 since Feb, that I have burned my RRTY so far. Or maybe I'll just wait until September 1st, just incase...

J
--

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #17 on: 18 August, 2020, 01:45:16 pm »
Only validated events go on your rider record which is used as the source data for RRtY.  Your RRtY series clock restarts with your first validated event and cannot be paused again (unless there is a suspension of validations again of course!)

« Reply #18 on: 19 August, 2020, 05:27:25 am »

Ongoing thanks to Mr RRtY, from a host of Riders!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #19 on: 02 November, 2020, 02:30:51 pm »

Given the impending new lock down, will the counter for resuming an interrupted RRTY be extended?

J
--

« Reply #20 on: 02 November, 2020, 03:51:45 pm »

Given the impending new lock down, will the counter for resuming an interrupted RRTY be extended?

J

Currently there has been no provision for this in Wales or NI with their lockdowns. With Scotland not having a countrywide lockdown and Wales about to come out of theirs on the 9th, I imagine this will remain as is. A lockdown in England shouldn't change things?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #21 on: 09 November, 2020, 09:28:25 am »
During validation suspension of calendar events in England, Permanent and DiY validations are still possible to nominal 200km, therefore RRtY validation will continue and a new or restarted series must be serviced each month to prevent the series from lapsing.

RRtY Secretary

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #22 on: 31 March, 2021, 02:02:51 am »
During validation suspension of calendar events in England, Permanent and DiY validations are still possible to nominal 200km, therefore RRtY validation will continue and a new or restarted series must be serviced each month to prevent the series from lapsing.

RRtY Secretary
We have just (29 Mar) emerged from another Lockdown. I had a Q regarding re-start of RRTY, with only 3 days available for March. Huggy would probably allow Mar or Apr re-start but I had 2 series running. I opted to continue both with 2 rides on 29 and 30 March. Fortunately, it worked as weather was perfect. Just being able to ride “local” during Lockdown was restricting enough!
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #23 on: 31 March, 2021, 08:55:23 am »
I had a Q regarding re-start of RRTY, with only 3 days available for March. Huggy would probably allow Mar or Apr re-start but I had 2 series running.

This update was posted on the RRtY Roll of Honour page a few weeks ago:
UPDATE: BR validations are possible again from 29th March 2021.  The assumed suspension period extends to 31st May 2021. An active series must have a validated BR between 29th March 2021 to 31st May 2021 and consecutive months from restart until completion.

Further details and FAQs are on the RRtY and COVID-19 advice and FAQ page