Author Topic: Crash landing - critical report  (Read 2635 times)

Crash landing - critical report
« on: 29 April, 2008, 07:20:16 pm »
BBC news has this footage of a disaster averted by the pilots. Looks like they didn't even spill their drinks, despite only having a front cart to land on. Anyone know why the AAIB aren't applauding?

Re: Crash landing - critical report
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2008, 07:31:59 pm »
That looks like a smoother landing than I had when I went to Paris in March. Looked smooth from that angle, altough I bet it was slightly more dramatic from inside ;D

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2008, 07:32:57 pm »
The landing you saw was the good one.

From the BBC:

In its report on the incident, the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) said that at a critical moment on its approach to East Midlands airport, air traffic control had wrongly passed a message to the TNT pilot from his company.

This confused the pilot, who turned off the autopilot, causing the plane to lose height, the report said.

He then failed to abort the landing in time and came down on grass alongside the East Midlands runway.

The impact broke off the right landing gear, but the pilot decided to take off again.

By the time the plane finally landed in Birmingham, its flaps were jammed, a set of wheels was missing and one engine scraped along the runway in a shower of sparks.

« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2008, 07:41:34 pm »
The landing you saw was the good one.

From the BBC:

In its report on the incident, the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) said that at a critical moment on its approach to East Midlands airport, air traffic control had wrongly passed a message to the TNT pilot from his company.

This confused the pilot, who turned off the autopilot, causing the plane to lose height, the report said.

He then failed to abort the landing in time and came down on grass alongside the East Midlands runway.

The impact broke off the right landing gear, but the pilot decided to take off again.

By the time the plane finally landed in Birmingham, its flaps were jammed, a set of wheels was missing and one engine scraped along the runway in a shower of sparks.

aah right, that might just explain it!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2008, 07:43:18 pm »
What amazed me about that footage is how long it took the airport fire engines to arrive and that they couldn't seem to get the foam spray to work very well.

Last time I was on a plane making an emergency landing, the fire engines were alongside as it touched down and seemed to fairly much keep up with the plane as it came to a standstill.  I thought that was standard procedure but it didn't seem to happen here.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:07:13 pm »
What amazed me about that footage is how long it took the airport fire engines to arrive and that they couldn't seem to get the foam spray to work very well.

Last time I was on a plane making an emergency landing, the fire engines were alongside as it touched down and seemed to fairly much keep up with the plane as it came to a standstill.  I thought that was standard procedure but it didn't seem to happen here.

I'd suspect (from a position of ignorance) that this was a very different case and there was a significant risk of  the plane slewing off line. Total time for the FE to arrive was only a few seconds..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:08:36 pm »
BBC news has this footage of a disaster averted by the pilots. Looks like they didn't even spill their drinks, despite only having a front cart to land on. Anyone know why the AAIB aren't applauding?

Not the AAIB's job!  After all, their role is to investigate accidents and learn from the mistakes made.  A successful landing means proper procedures have been followed.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:18:14 pm »
I love the premature ejaculation at 01:30.  "Oh dear, we're here and there's no fire or anyfink...   oops there goes my white stuff"  which is then followed by some others.

I've seen similar videos before with a helicopter's viewpoint.  Is this standard procedure  to film potential disasters?

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:19:49 pm »

Last time I was on a plane making an emergency landing, the fire engines were alongside as it touched down and seemed to fairly much keep up with the plane as it came to a standstill.  I thought that was standard procedure but it didn't seem to happen here.

I'd suspect (from a position of ignorance) that this was a very different case and there was a significant risk of  the plane slewing off line. Total time for the FE to arrive was only a few seconds..

..d

Quite - they were well prepared for where they predicted the plane to stop, but the danger of it slewing more dramatically than it did would have been very great. As David suspected.

Also their operation of the foam cannons was SOP - they spray the ground in front of them first to prevent burning fuel running under their vehicle, then as there was no direct fire to attack, but the engine had been runnning along the runway, generating tremendous heat near lots of fuel, they sprayed the area with the highest flashpoint potential (the bottom of te engine in this case) and layed down a big mat of foam in case of leaking fuel.

As there was no fire, they didn't all need to get involved because 1) That foam mix is ludicrously expensive and 2) it isn't wise to use all your firefighting capacity in one go, just in case a fire ignites and an area you have missed, and you are now out of foam!

Chapeau to all concerned.

p.s. Engine's a bit slack  ;D

IGMC
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:25:10 pm »
It's an old footage. And it was a cargo plane, so just the crew on board. I remember that they lost or damaged the carriage during a previous attempt at EM?
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #10 on: 30 April, 2008, 05:19:40 pm »

I've seen similar videos before with a helicopter's viewpoint.  Is this standard procedure  to film potential disasters?

No, it was just that as it was a diversion from East Midlands, they took the opportunity to send up a police helicopter to visually check the damage done to the aircraft before it came into land at Birmingham, so they just carried on filming, knowing it would be useful.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein