Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512546 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Call them 'tisanes' or 'infusions'...

I inadvertently bought some Tesco Finest Rhubarb and Ginger "mince" pies.  They're actually surprisingly pleasant.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
One of the tragedies of the age, that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

I shouldn't have just eaten that entire tube of Pringles.

In bargain hunting mode I picked up a 1.5Kg of Geeta's Mango Chutney,   that's probably more than a years supply !

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

I was standing next to a snack table at a party last night. You've seen the video of shark feeding frenzies. Nothing compared to me and a table full of mini-sausage rolls, baby pork pies, bite-sized scotch eggs, and pringles pringles pringles. All I remember is a cloud of pastry and pringle flakes and much, much screaming.

I was standing next to a snack table at a party last night. You've seen the video of shark feeding frenzies. Nothing compared to me and a table full of mini-sausage rolls, baby pork pies, bite-sized scotch eggs, and pringles pringles pringles. All I remember is a cloud of pastry and pringle flakes and much, much screaming.

The horror, the horror
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

Speaking of horror, I couldn't help myself on the way home after the Christmas party on Tuesday. I unleashed my inner pasty-geddon! Oh blessed scolding hot pastry pockets of stuff only identifiable through DNA screening. I can see why every Cornish pasty is 'award-winning.' Primarily because the judges are all drunk. Even though the filling is hotter than magma and there are clouds of eyeball shrivelling steam, the moment the train starts to move, you're in there. That timeless tryst between a man, a pasty, and a cheeky M&S G&T.

The indecision between the divergent ways of the cheese and the mystery meat almost made me miss my train. And half-way home, I wished I bought two, the second preferably chicken tikka, a sort of oriental occidental of the pasty world. I arrived home smelling like an outpost of Greggs which, as any woman knows, is the smell of romance enrobed in flaky pastry.

I can generally assume that if someone turns up at my desk at 3 pm with a bottle of Jaegermeister then the terminal punctuation on my day will be a pasty.

I shouldn't have just eaten that entire tube of Pringles.

Quoth Channing Pollock: "No man in the world has more courage than the man who can stop after eating one peanut Pringle."  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

hellymedic

• Just do it!
First World problems really but:

I thought I'd ordered FRESH cranberries! Oh, I see your 'whole cranberries' are dried and sweetened and you are NOT DOING fresh cranberries this year! I suppose I'll have to shift to Waitrose! What IS the world coming to?

I ordered a SMALL beef roasting joint; the one you've supplied is 2.64kg. That's nearly SIX POUNDS in old money! It will take most of the evening to roast and I need The Man to handle it for me; most undignified!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Yet again, their 'Three Bird Roast' is 'no longer available.

Good thing I bought a Guinea Fowl yesterday...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Speaking of horror, I couldn't help myself on the way home after the Christmas party on Tuesday. I unleashed my inner pasty-geddon! Oh blessed scolding hot pastry pockets of stuff only identifiable through DNA screening. I can see why every Cornish pasty is 'award-winning.' Primarily because the judges are all drunk. Even though the filling is hotter than magma and there are clouds of eyeball shrivelling steam, the moment the train starts to move, you're in there. That timeless tryst between a man, a pasty, and a cheeky M&S G&T.

The indecision between the divergent ways of the cheese and the mystery meat almost made me miss my train. And half-way home, I wished I bought two, the second preferably chicken tikka, a sort of oriental occidental of the pasty world. I arrived home smelling like an outpost of Greggs which, as any woman knows, is the smell of romance enrobed in flaky pastry.

I can generally assume that if someone turns up at my desk at 3 pm with a bottle of Jaegermeister then the terminal punctuation on my day will be a pasty.

In Kings Lynn on Tuesday, Greggs Sausage roll or straight for the station and see what's on offfer?

Glorious bacon and egg sarnie with HP sauce and a coffee? Cycling heaven, all the more so becase SWMBO would declaim vehemently at both white bread carbs and the glorious bacon-ness.  I can't help it if she's vegetarian
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

No pasty tonight alas as I just demolished three courses at a gratuitous third mothership Christmas do. Just the cheeky g&t for my gob and The National for my ears.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I note Sainsbury's have sneakily downsized their mince pies; a pack of six, described as 355g now contains 320g.

I know they are on Special Offer. 90p is hardly bank-breaking.
I don't NEED mince pies. (Who does?)

But...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
My son announced today that he was "getting tired of mince pies".
355g v 320g, is there a 10% margin allowed?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I think the tolerances for an e mark are tighter than 10%

I make it a personal 'rule' to limit myself to 6 mince pies per festive season.

The first mince pie is 'special'.

After about 6, they are empty calories.

My first mince pies this season were very early, cos Betty's, Northallerton.

Cudzoziemiec

Might well be less than 10% but where were the marks? 355g on packet, you weighed and found 320g? 355g on website, you ordered and packet said 320g?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Might well be less than 10% but where were the marks? 355g on packet, you weighed and found 320g? 355g on website, you ordered and packet said 320g?

355g on website, you ordered and packet said 320g?

^^^^
This.
I think earlier boxes' weights were the same on both website and pack.

Cudzoziemiec

They could have been taking website lessons from Evans ("This item is no longer available") but more likely just cock up.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
On the other hand, the 'delicates' detergent I use was supplied in 750ml bottles earlier this year but was described as 630ml the last time I ordered this.
A 750ml bottle was supplied.

Sometimes the downsizing is described early on the website...

On the way home last night I picked up some stuff from the reduced pile at M&S.   A cube of some soft cheese & some belly pork with BBQ sauce which did for supper.    The centre of the cheese was almost liquid, so I only ate a small portion.   

Cue some very strange dreams & waking up at 04:00 feeling not quite right .  Acid upset stomach & I spent far longer on the loo than I prefer.      I wasn't planning any celebrations tonight anyway   :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Gingerbread toasted until the outside caramelizes is excellent with vanilla ice-cream.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

>>Gingerbread <<

Pain d'epices, Shirley?

Cudzoziemiec

Somebody made me a cup of tea this morning. Great! But because I was distracted, they made me Earl Grey with oatmilk. I don't really like Earl Grey and I normally drink my tea black, but the oatmilk actually improved the Earl Grey for me. Which is odd in a way as I'm sure tea-ophiles recommend Earl Grey should be drunk without milk. Then again, what improved it for me was that the addition of oatmilk – which I found very similar to cowmilk in tea – took away a lot of the Earl Grey-ness.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
D's father makes 'Lady Grey' - a mix of Earl Grey and ordinary tea that we drink white.