Author Topic: Rack packs / bags  (Read 2664 times)

Rack packs / bags
« on: 17 February, 2020, 08:26:24 pm »
I could do with a new rack pack. I have an Arkel on another bike but I’m thinking of something 1) quick release, unless you persuade me otherwise, and 2) biggerer.

Also: waterproof without the aid of a rain cover. Roll top perhaps? Compact when unloaded but capable of taking a bag of groceries, let’s say. Not particularly keen on the Topeak QR system but open to persuasion.

Advice appreciated. A pannier bag would fit the bill but I’d prefer something rack top this time.

I quite like this but a few reviews have pointed out shortcomings with the roll closure. And it’s more than I’d like to spend for work commute porpoises:

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/ortlieb-city-trunk-bag-rc-with-rack-lock-adapter-2652883

Re: Rack packs / bags
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2020, 09:54:12 pm »
I think finding something to match all of your requirements may be tricky.  There's the huge LOMO 15L roll top rack pack which I have used and is great, but it's certainly not a neat option when empty.  Then there's the Carradice Super C, which I think looks neater but with no quick release.  Although it's not 100% waterproof without it's raincover I would highly recommend for the Topeak DXP MTX trunk bag, expandable up to a massive 23l.  I've never used it with a raincover having found it's adequately waterproof for commuting as it is. 
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2020, 10:20:39 pm »
The Carradice superC rack pack is quick release with a draw string closure under the lid. It is 15 litres.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2020, 10:24:37 pm »
The Carradice superC rack pack is quick release with a draw string closure under the lid. It is 15 litres.

Mine's not.  It's got the usual four velcro straps arrangement.

Seems to keep the wet stuff out, though I don't think I've had it in heavy rain for more than an hour or so.

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2020, 10:29:49 pm »

Mine's not.  It's got the usual four velcro straps arrangement.

Seems to keep the wet stuff out, though I don't think I've had it in heavy rain for more than an hour or so.

I meant the lid is quick release buckles but maybe they meant from the rack, it Isn’t clear. But the Velcro attachment is quick release from rack as far as I’m concerned. Can confirm it works in hours and hours of rain.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2020, 10:50:00 pm »
The faffiness of velcro straps depends on what the rack's like:  If you've got to pass the strap between the tube of the rack and a mud-deflection plate, it can be quite fiddly (especially if the bike's against a wall), whereas if there's loads of room between the rack and the wheel so you can easily get your hand in underneath it's quite straightforward.

Either way, it's not QR like the Topeak or Racktime racks, where you just push a button and slide them in/out.  More glove-friendly.

I like the Super-C because it's no-nonsense (no zips to go wrong when you cram it full of unexpectedly unwanted layers), waterproof and it should last for ages.  I dislike that it's basically one big compartment for your lock to bounce up and down on your lunch in when lightly loaded.

I like the Arkel Tailrider because it has lots of little pockets for keeping tools and things organised, and because it doesn't look like an out-of-place shoebox on a 'fast' bike.  I dislike the low capacity and shower-cap waterproofing.

I like the Carradice Prima because it's a good compromise between volume and pockets.  It isn't waterproof, and has now been discontinued.  I've re-velcroed mine once, and am wondering if the zips will last long enough to re-velcro it again.

I had one of those ugly Carradura expanding-wedge bags for a bit.  The zips failed.  You get what you pay for.

I reckon there's a strong argument for avoiding zips, especially if it's getting daily use.  So either a roll closure or drawstring+flap.

« Reply #6 on: 17 February, 2020, 11:05:04 pm »
I meant the lid is quick release buckles but maybe they meant from the rack, it Isn’t clear. But the Velcro attachment is quick release from rack as far as I’m concerned. Can confirm it works in hours and hours of rain.

I agree that the velcro straps can be considered quick release when they fasten to the exterior of the bag, but those that fasten together under the rack can be a faff where there's limited clearance. 
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #7 on: 18 February, 2020, 03:29:47 pm »
I think finding something to match all of your requirements may be tricky.  There's the huge LOMO 15L roll top rack pack which I have used and is great, but it's certainly not a neat option when empty.

Thanks Bolt. Yes, I've looked at those LOMO ones. Ortlieb do similar looking roll tops but it turns out that they are not rack packs as such but designed to strap across a set of panniers. I think I'll look again at the Topeaks. They do get lots of good reviews. 

« Reply #8 on: 18 February, 2020, 03:52:09 pm »

Thanks Bolt. Yes, I've looked at those LOMO ones. Ortlieb do similar looking roll tops but it turns out that they are not rack packs as such but designed to strap across a set of panniers. I think I'll look again at the Topeaks. They do get lots of good reviews.

The LOMO is indeed an proper rack pack, it uses a velcro "landing strip" that attaches to the rack then the bag is fastened to the using a combination of velcro and quick release buckles. This is the one I have https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bike-tail-bag.html but I see they're out of stock until April.  It's a great bag but probably more suited to laden touring than commuting.  The Topeak DXP is a really excellent do it all bag, my advice is get the big one the (DXP)if you go for the Topeak, it'll take 4 bottles of wine in each pannier and a loaf of bread and more in the top compartment :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 18 February, 2020, 10:02:45 pm »
The LOMO is indeed an proper rack pack, it uses a velcro "landing strip" that attaches to the rack then the bag is fastened to the using a combination of velcro and quick release buckles. This is the one I have https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bike-tail-bag.html but I see they're out of stock until April.

Hard to fault especially at £30. It’s perhaps a bit bulkier than what I am thinking of, but it’s a contender. I’ll look at that Topeak.

HectorChasca, I have looked at those. Was considering, but holding out for something less spendy. Is it one large space with pockets set in the sides, or is it compartmented inside?

« Reply #11 on: 22 February, 2020, 10:27:00 pm »
The Topeak DXP is a really excellent do it all bag, my advice is get the big one the (DXP)if you go for the Topeak, it'll take 4 bottles of wine in each pannier and a loaf of bread and more in the top compartment :thumbsup:

Is this the one you have?
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/topeak-mtx-dxp-trunkbag-cw-velcro-black-226-litre/

Are those side pockets useful or are those purely to pack away the side panniers when not in use?

I might dispense with the requirement for quick release.

« Reply #12 on: 22 February, 2020, 10:46:10 pm »

Is this the one you have?
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/topeak-mtx-dxp-trunkbag-cw-velcro-black-226-litre/

Are those side pockets useful or are those purely to pack away the side panniers when not in use?

I might dispense with the requirement for quick release.

Yes, that's the one :thumbsup: the zipped side pockets could be used to store small items in between the fold of the side panniers but I think the design intention is that they are just there to stow the fold down panniers.  Tweeks have a good deal on the same model https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/topeak-trunkbag-dxp-with-pannier-euktt9643b/

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #13 on: 22 February, 2020, 11:30:35 pm »
Vaude rack packs worth a look as well. I have the Silkroad L, it is a reasonable size for most stuff I need. And a pocket on the pack, handy for a bottle or jacket etc.
Not waterproof as standard, but has a cover. Mine attaches with velcro straps, they also have versions for Racktime SnapIt etc
There's also a Silkroad Plus, with fold out side pockets.

Or the Comyou Shopper bag looks quite neat, it is bigger, and rolltop waterproof closure. https://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Made-in-Germany/Comyou-Shopper?number=124302020

« Reply #14 on: 23 February, 2020, 09:51:25 pm »
Topeak rack bags: am I correct in thinking that their quick-release bags are designed to fit a few specific topeak racks, and that there is no adapter plate or whatever to allow you to convert your own non-Topeak rack? And hence if you have a non-Topeak rack, you need one of the velcro-strap versions?

Same question for Snapit and Racktime racks - the bags come with this on the bottom:
https://www.bikester.co.uk/bike-parts/carrier/carrier-accessories/263019.html
That attaches to Racktime racks - but is there not a converter for non-Racktime racks?

I’m beginning to think that out of the QR systems the Ortlieb trunk bags is the best. Leaning that direction. Puzzled why the older, smaller trunk bag with the zip is more expensive than the newer, larger roll top.

Edited to add - good old SJS:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-racks/topeak-omni-quicktrack-adapter-mtx-qt-system/

« Reply #15 on: 23 February, 2020, 10:26:38 pm »
Edited to add - good old SJS:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-racks/topeak-omni-quicktrack-adapter-mtx-qt-system/
That is very useful information, thanks... I never knew such a thing existed :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 26 February, 2020, 10:38:23 pm »
I like the Arkel Tailrider because it has lots of little pockets for keeping tools and things organised, and because it doesn't look like an out-of-place shoebox on a 'fast' bike.  I dislike the low capacity and shower-cap waterproofing.

I’ve given up on this for the time being in favour of using my Tailrider. It’s good I suppose, and it does expand, and it does have pockets. And velcro or not it’s as solid as a rock on the rack. But I’ll need something much more capacious.