Author Topic: Thinking about getting an "original" Bickerton  (Read 12865 times)

Re: Thinking about getting an "original" Bickerton
« Reply #50 on: 14 November, 2020, 04:06:14 pm »
possibly these parts were not fitted to every Bickerton but in the photos above I note that there is

a) no front reflector (there should be big round one attached to the front frame tube plug) and
b) attached to one pedal (the LH one I think) there is usually a spring loaded 'thing' which can be pushed inwards so that it engages with the flats on the pedal spindle. This seems to be missing.

The idea of b) is that if needs be, the LH pedal can be unscrewed by hand thus allowing the bike to be packed down smaller. However between it being a LH thread and the 'spanner' being made of some kind of metal that looks like metal but has a rather more  cheese-like consistency, the chances of this part being in GWO are pretty slim.

cheers

« Reply #51 on: 14 November, 2020, 09:47:24 pm »
The 'spanner' also had an added feature, as if it is accidentally engaged while pedalling, it locks out the pedal giving added interest to the riding experience.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #52 on: 14 November, 2020, 09:51:16 pm »
I saw a Bickerton being ridden a week or two ago in Southend. I think it's one of only two that I have seen in the wild since the turn of the century.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #53 on: 17 November, 2020, 12:52:06 am »
I found this (not very good) photo of the pedal with spanner gizmo

cheers

« Reply #54 on: 17 November, 2020, 04:13:03 pm »
I found this (not very good) photo of the pedal with spanner gizmo

cheers

I have one on another Bick that I am "restoring" - they were added later, maybe 1978 onwards as was the front reflector - and of course Bick's were made in various places ... so anything goes

« Reply #55 on: 17 November, 2020, 04:17:41 pm »
Interesting. The one we have has a knurled black plastic disc inside the removable pedal which can be slid along the axle to engage so that the pedal can be removed.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #56 on: 17 November, 2020, 04:39:35 pm »
Interesting. The one we have has a knurled black plastic disc inside the removable pedal which can be slid along the axle to engage so that the pedal can be removed.

I've been trying to put together some kind of "history" of changes made over the years, but there is very little on the internet - the Bickerton "decal" has changed a few times, but it's not really consistent from year to year - the date on the SA Hub, (if the bike has one), seems to be the best way of ageing the bike, (although that may have been changed).  Mr Bickerton sold the "rights" to build bikes to Steve Rowlinson and then to three Australians who, I believe shipped "kits" to the US, Germany and Sweden and there were bikes "made" by Vulcan Lighting & Leisure Co Ltd, (who ever they may be??), as well as bikes made in WGC, from maybe 1982 onwards.

« Reply #57 on: 17 November, 2020, 05:19:57 pm »
Mine's got a 1981 dated hub and says it was made in Australia on the bottom of the frame. Metal pedal spanner, plastic Brooks saddle. No front reflector or handlebar brace.

« Reply #58 on: 17 November, 2020, 05:45:51 pm »
I re-greased the BB yesterday - there is a self tapping screw, (see image below) from the underneath - any ideas why, (just to keep the spindle in place, but why?) - (it's the same on the 3 bikes that I have)

« Reply #59 on: 17 November, 2020, 10:18:55 pm »
re the screw; what else holds the BB sleeve in place....?

FWIW one of my chums had a (70's) Bickerton with a shimano 3s rear hub in it. The hub spat the dummy big time (turned itself into a proper shrapnel box)  and I recommended that a SA AW was fitted in its place.

cheers

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #60 on: 17 November, 2020, 10:25:44 pm »
Bickertons don’t have welded, brazed or bonded joints.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #61 on: 17 November, 2020, 10:36:20 pm »

FWIW one of my chums had a (70's) Bickerton with a shimano 3s rear hub in it. The hub spat the dummy big time (turned itself into a proper shrapnel box)  and I recommended that a SA AW was fitted in its place.

cheers

Thanks

yep - I found this on the web

« Reply #62 on: 21 November, 2020, 04:19:33 pm »

cheers

I think that they changed that method on later models, or did they just forget the self tapper?

« Reply #63 on: 21 November, 2020, 10:12:04 pm »
I wonder if there could there be a screw positioned somewhere else?  For example could there perhaps be a (hidden, CSK) screw connecting the seat tube sleeve to the BB sleeve?

cheers

« Reply #64 on: 21 November, 2020, 11:11:15 pm »
I wonder if there could there be a screw positioned somewhere else?  For example could there perhaps be a (hidden, CSK) screw connecting the seat tube sleeve to the BB sleeve?

cheers

I'll be re-greasing it in a couple of weeks so I can have a look - nothing down the seat post tube - the date on the hub is 1979

Hilldodger

« Reply #65 on: 10 December, 2020, 03:11:40 pm »
We had several Bickertons donated to Cyclemagic. They were a useful source for odd bits of ali for the workshop.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #66 on: 10 December, 2020, 04:46:00 pm »
We had several Bickertons donated to Cyclemagic. They were a useful source for odd bits of ali for the workshop.
:D ;D :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #67 on: 15 May, 2021, 05:47:14 pm »

Though the engineer in me does like a Moulton  :hand:

I've always liked my 20" Dahon Speed TR. It rides like a big bike on the road.
[/quote]

In my defence I had ridden 99%+ of my miles that year on a recumbent and it may have just felt very odd.  I'm nearer 50:50 this year, and I might feel a bit different.

I did manage to sell the Dahon for a decent profit though
[/quote]
No defence needed  :) Think I am going to sell mine now I have a Moulton.
[/quote]
That didn't work too well. Number two daughter demanded it for free and I gave in ::-).
Never knowingly under caffeinated