Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 404160 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #2600 on: 18 September, 2021, 06:14:51 am »
In my new job they have just started using Office365.

Nothing is working correctly. I cannot copy items from my OneDrive to SharePoint, although my colleague can.

When we try to rename folders it gets very grumpy and gives up.

We seem to have folders with the same name all appearing in the Schnellzugriff (don’t know what it’s called in English) so I can’t easily work out if I’m saving in OneDrive or SharePoint.

Oh, and I have a dual monitor system. I don’t want the taskbar to group windows for apps, I want all 3 open Excel spreadsheets appearing in the taskbar. I have changed the settings and on the right hand monitor I see all 3, on the left hand monitor I just see Excel and have to click on it to then try and work out which tiny image is the spreadsheet I want, although they look the same.

Settings are a joke - scattered around the place. Doesn’t help that it’s in German, of course.

And how I loathe with a passion the Ribbon. Just give me all the icons in small all the time. Everything takes twice as many clicks as with my Mac.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2601 on: 18 September, 2021, 01:10:30 pm »
I try to have as little to do with MS Office as possible, but it seems to have lost the plot in about 2010.  And even that had the hated Ribbon.

Also, Schnellzugriff is officially a Good Word. (Quick access, I think)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2602 on: 18 September, 2021, 01:22:40 pm »
Updates are still a pain in the rear, it downloaded a bazillion separately this morning (though at least it didn't force me to restart). There might be a better option, I really don't need to know, Apple just package them up and deliver and install about 600 GB of them every othernight while I sleep.

Then Dell decided it wanted to update loads of things too, which I duly agreed to, and they all failed for no apparent reason it felt like disclosing.

There are also exciting things like antivirus and malware checkers that I'll leave to the mothership to maintain.

Start-up is still relatively slow compared to a Mac and I still can't figure out to do a proper close lid sleep and instant restart when you open it. I'm not sure why the Bitlocker thing isn't just integrated like FileVault. It feels a bit less responsive.

Other than that, while I'd prefer a Mac, it's a bit of a muchness these days.
The only reason my work PC gets a reboot is because endpoint decide its time to deploy a load of updates, it's always at an i opportune moment because they like to kick it off laterl afternoon when I'm busy and by the time I open it up in the morning from its sleep mode the delay timers run out and it reboots me just as I'm about to dive (almost) straight from the shower into the morning stand up.

I find my home pc's less invasive on reboots if only because microsith control them and thus I can just hit "shutdown and install" when I'm done with it for the night.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2603 on: 18 September, 2021, 01:48:17 pm »
I try to have as little to do with MS Office as possible, but it seems to have lost the plot in about 2010.  And even that had the hated Ribbon.

There is at least one Product which restores sensible menus to Office 2013 (and possibly other iterations) which is free for non-commercial use.  I wouldn’t be without it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2604 on: 18 September, 2021, 02:15:44 pm »
The only way I reckon I can get W10 to install an update it’s been failing to install for the past ten months is by reinstalling the the whole wretched thing from scratch.  Which wouldn’t be so onerous were it not for the dozens of apps that would need to reinstalled, plus the large amount of tweaking required to get the bloody thing the way I want it.  Bah!

I believe that I can give you a solution to that. My office PC (as in, the one next to my desk in a far flung place called "the city") was toast. Wouldn't run any updates, programs took 15 seconds to start, those that would even start. I would have been quite happy to go and zap it and load it from scratch, it doesn't run much more than office, superputty and virtualbox, but then I found the solution....

download a windows iso, right click on it to mount it (no need to put it on a usb stick) then run the setup.exe on it. It will ask you if you want to keep your existing software after which apparently it replaces windows in-situ.

At the end it reboots, and will initially give you the welcome screen from a fresh windows installation but all your treasured programs are still installed.
Windows restore that exists right on your hard drive apparently can do similar.
Theres a lot of clever and good shit in windozd that no one bothers with because we're all traumatised from the 9x generation of shitness.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2605 on: 18 September, 2021, 11:42:34 pm »
AFAIK Windows Restore depends on the existence of a restore point at the appropriate time and how far back it goes depends on how big the partition it’s been allocated is and also whether the offending update created one in the first place which, in the case of third-party drivers, appears to be a rarity.  The available evidence suggests the issue is the fault of a driver update that happened the thick end of a year ago, so I reckon the chance of being able to roll back that far is 2/3 of 80% of not very much.  Doubly so since I ent even been able to find out which driver might have done the evil deed.

Also Microsith leave System Restore turned OFF by default, or at least they did in 2016 when they woke up my laptop from hibernation and tried to install a GBFO update over the world’s slowest hotel Internet connection in Wheretehfuckami, Ontario.  The bastards.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2606 on: 18 September, 2021, 11:42:53 pm »
Dear work

This lapdog which has finally arrived at the correct address (sigh) is stuck trying to install shits

Not best regards
Pingu

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2607 on: 18 September, 2021, 11:44:07 pm »
AFAIK Windows Restore depends on the existence of a restore point at the appropriate time and how far back it goes depends on how big the partition it’s been allocated is and also whether the offending update created one in the first place which, in the case of third-party drivers, appears to be a rarity.  The available evidence suggests the issue is the fault of a driver update that happened the thick end of a year ago, so I reckon the chance of being able to roll back that far is 2/3 of 80% of not very much.  Doubly so since I ent even been able to find out which driver might have done the evil deed.

Also Microsith leave System Restore turned OFF by default, or at least they did in 2016 when they woke up my laptop from hibernation and tried to install a GBFO update over the world’s slowest hotel Internet connection in Wheretehfuckami, Ontario.  The bastards.
Windows restore isn't just restore points.

Or is it restore and recovery centre
Or recovery center
Or...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2608 on: 18 September, 2021, 11:44:44 pm »
Dear work

This lapdog which has finally arrived at the correct address (sigh) is stuck trying to install shits

Not best regards
Pingu

Well it sounds like an improvement if you actually have a computer now.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2609 on: 19 September, 2021, 12:23:22 am »
Dear work

Not best regards
Pingu

Well it sounds like an improvement if you actually have a computer now.

It doesnae do anything thobut. A bit like me really.

They sent a bonny large screen which works dandy with my lapdog  :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2610 on: 19 September, 2021, 06:47:52 am »

There is at least one Product which restores sensible menus to Office 2013 (and possibly other iterations) which is free for non-commercial use.  I wouldn’t be without it.
Can you share its name?

Work are all very nice and friendly so if I whined loudly enough they might let me have it…
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2611 on: 19 September, 2021, 10:22:17 am »
I'll check when I get home, but that won’t be until tomorrow afternoon.

ian

« Reply #2612 on: 20 September, 2021, 09:20:17 am »
It's going swimmingly this morning. It froze and now I can't get past a brief flash of Dell logo. I just get a cycle of coloured screens if I hold what I think is the power button (Dell, in their wisdom, didn't bother to label it, but it's a blank key to the right of the delete key in an Apple-stylee, though I suppose it could be the self-destruct key).

Oh well, to IT I go.

ian

« Reply #2613 on: 20 September, 2021, 09:55:02 am »
Now it's replacing its corrupted firmware. Well, it got to 25% before the screen disappeared. It may or may not be doing something.

Yes, I have corrupted firmware with my mind. There must be some serious filth in there.

ian

« Reply #2614 on: 20 September, 2021, 11:49:21 am »
The verdict from IT seems to be ian 1: Dell 0

Level 1 complete. Bonus points 1,000,000. New High Score.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2615 on: 20 September, 2021, 03:42:55 pm »

Can you share its name?

Work are all very nice and friendly so if I whined loudly enough they might let me have it…
I'm running a thing called Classic Office Menu from https://www.addintools.com/, which is not free unless you download a cracked copy from a source of dubious provenance, but I'm pretty sure I've seen another one one which WAS free for personal use.

Edited to unscramble b0rked quote.

ian

« Reply #2616 on: 21 September, 2021, 09:26:30 am »
A replacement laptop is being couriered.

Ready Player One. Level 2.

« Reply #2617 on: 21 September, 2021, 10:14:19 am »

And how I loathe with a passion the Ribbon. Just give me all the icons in small all the time. Everything takes twice as many clicks as with my Mac.

While I sympathise with your sentiment (I am in fact a paid-up user of "classic office menu" of many years standing - I'd advise anyone against using cracked software as these days it is exceedingly likely to have a malware payload) actually, the ribbon isn't as bad as all that and worth getting used to for all the pain involved. There are a couple of tips/tweaks I would add for those who hate the basic MS UI.

In office, the worst aspects of the ribbon can be bypassed by customisation, adding the items you miss from the old way of doing things to the Quick Access Toolbar - by default the top line above the ribbon. Personally the ones I miss are "Format Painter", "Insert Table", "Borders" - you may have your own obviously. The easiest option to do this is to right click on the ribbon, customise, when the option widow appears, choose "Quick Access Toolbar" from the left hand side. Default is to present the "popular commands" that are a subset of all commands (obv). If you need to know what the icon you want on the quick access is called to find it in the list, find it on the ribbon and hover to see the name. Then, as a final twist, you can opt to show the Quick Access Toolbar below the ribbon. Combine that with closing the ribbon and you have all your icon commands on one line. It is hyper unlikely that your common use icons will be more than a line-full.

Then, if like me you loathe the default W10 toolbars with its mess of pinning programs and open windows, you may want to use the old Quicklaunch, which is still available. Then, once you have removed search and Cortana, you can set up a two line toolbar at the bottom of the screen and organise your common programs into a block of, say, 10 or 12 small icons on the left next to the start button and the rest of the space will be your open windows, as ever was in W7.

« Reply #2618 on: 21 September, 2021, 01:06:51 pm »
I also put my macros in the quick access toolbar.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2619 on: 21 September, 2021, 02:58:42 pm »
This all sounds good, thanks.

I am trialling the free software but it doesn’t work with outlook which is the thing that annoys me the most - on loads of ribbon menus you can’t add an attachment, which is something I often want to do. Drives me bonkers. I’ll try the customisation option.

« Reply #2620 on: 29 September, 2021, 09:01:45 am »
Office 365 and sharepoint are a pairing made in Hell. Specifically, the Product Marketing division of Hell.

35 years ago I worked mainframes via terminals. You had to be careful not to type too fast, or you'd fill the buffer and lose characters.

With the application of millions of dollars of development, the internet and incredibly powerful chips, Microsoft have recreated that experience.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #2621 on: 29 September, 2021, 09:27:58 am »
I have no idea what's is OneDrive or not on this PC. File management is interesting. It's like it was designed by people working through the later stages of a substance dependency.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2622 on: 29 September, 2021, 12:47:01 pm »
Third boot-drive meltdown in a year last night at 11pm (2 different computers). Seems to have been caused by an out-of-sequence driver update. Took till 5:30am to get a basic reinstallation of Windows done, and it will take a day or two to reload or re-link all the apps I use, but no data lost thanks to One Drive/Dropbox/iDrive. However, no power now thanks to a fuel-chaser hitting a power pole down the road, so it’s all moot anyway.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2623 on: 04 October, 2021, 02:42:38 pm »
Who the hell writes the specification for software these days?

Firefox has started diverting the new tab search box into the address bar.  This, apparently, is copied from Chrome.  Not only is it fucking annoying to put the cursor in the middle of the page, start typing and have absolutely nothing appear where you just placed the cursor it is also effing dumb.  If you search for anything with a forward slash in it, for example the model number of a malfunctioning Bosch washing machine, firefox assumes it must be a url.  Because no string of characters in the history of time has ever included a forward slash and not been a URL has it mozilla?

Morons.

About:config
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.handoffToAwesomebar = False
(40% of that setting name makes me want to either puke or beat shit out of someone with a clue by four.)

[Edited to redirect my ire in a more appropriate direction]
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2624 on: 04 October, 2021, 10:33:33 pm »
Good software engineers always test their work.  It does what the manager or management software tells them to do. It is a very sad job. Any computer programmer wants to do the best they can on the time their given. User level testing is done by test engineers.  The Software Engineers favourite thing is writing correct computer programs. Their job is hated, a horrible contradiction.