Author Topic: Storks return to the UK  (Read 2065 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Storks return to the UK
« on: 16 May, 2020, 01:01:48 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/16/wild-white-storks-hatch-for-first-time-in-hundreds-of-years?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

That’s wonderful! Jan and I saw some when cycling in the Netherlands in 2013. Beautiful birds.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Storks return to the UK
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2020, 01:04:16 pm »
Very good, especially as they seem to be gently retreating from much of mainland Europe.
CLACK CLACK CLACK!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2020, 01:07:41 pm »
That is great news. Sadly offset by the massive increase in raptor killings by bastard gamekeepers.
Rust never sleeps

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2020, 04:37:59 pm »
Great news but what creature brings baby storks?

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2020, 05:30:47 pm »
Very good Paul  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2020, 10:02:05 pm »
Great news but what creature brings baby storks?

Penguins.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2020, 07:01:01 am »
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2020, 07:33:32 pm »
More about the reintroduction programme and white (and black) storks in Europe generally:
https://theconversation.com/stork-chicks-hatch-in-uk-for-first-time-in-600-years-why-thats-great-news-for-british-wildlife-137320
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:44:59 am »
Great news, yes, until one of them decides that your chimney is a perfect place for building a nest. Then you are in for a lot of troubles.

Not a personal experience, but from relatives in Hungary who had to refrain from firing the stove for a long time, due to a couple of storks.

A

« Reply #9 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:18:12 am »
In the time period we've lived on the Spain/Portugal border - a little over 20 years - storks have gone from migratory to resident which we're told is something to do with changes in agricultural practices meaning availability of year-round food supply.  Between our little town, Olivenza, and the provincial capital of Badajoz is a distance of 25km and there is at least one stork's nest on every pylon, and up to four in some cases. But the champion is just outside Lisbon where I counted 13 nests on one pylon! BTW I spotted that on the way back from the airport after a business trip to the US. It was the day that lockdown began - and I'd cut short my trip to get home. Two or three hours after I crossed back into Spain, they shut the border. 

Storks are wonderful to watch soaring in groups, which we saw more often when they assembled to migrate together southwards down across the Straits into Morrocco. But they aren't half clumsy taking to flight from the nest. They tumble out and flail for a bit as if they can't quite remember how to fly before getting it all together and off they go.  They mate for life and return to the same nest year after year. The nests can weigh up to half a tonne and remind us of the hassidic shtreimel headwear.  Unlike a hat, they never get blown off in a storm.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.