Author Topic: Tour de France 2015 (Contains Spoilers)  (Read 43748 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Tour de France 2015 (Contains Spoilers)
« Reply #400 on: 24 July, 2015, 05:16:51 pm »
oooh tomorrow will be fun :)

Today was one of the hardest stages I've seen in a long while. Tomorrow could be even harder. Who wants it most? Quintana could do this.

« Reply #401 on: 24 July, 2015, 05:34:42 pm »
Will today become known as `stone gate` ? Froome not impressed about Nibali taking off when he did and it`s a pity as, for me, it slightly sours a fabulous ride by Nibali---particulary as he denies seeing Froome`s problem whilst TV footgae seems show he had clearly noted it. Will make tomorrow `fun` :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #402 on: 24 July, 2015, 05:37:53 pm »
Phil and Paul don't half talk bollocks

Oh good, it wasn't just me who was shouting at the TV for the Chuckle Brothers to drink from the nice big mug of STFU.

The final part of today's stage was marred by just about the most irritating bout of commentating logorrhea I have ever experienced.

Sometimes, less is more.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #403 on: 24 July, 2015, 05:40:56 pm »

Today was one of the hardest stages I've seen in a long while. Tomorrow could be even harder. Who wants it most? Quintana could do this.

Only if he's willing to gamble and attacks on the way up the Croix de Fer - sitting on and waiting for the final climb like he did today won't suffice.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #404 on: 24 July, 2015, 06:28:15 pm »
Phil and Paul don't half talk bollocks

Oh good, it wasn't just me who was shouting at the TV for the Chuckle Brothers to drink from the nice big mug of STFU.

The final part of today's stage was marred by just about the most irritating bout of commentating logorrhea I have ever experienced.

Sometimes, less is more.

Reading this makes my Eurosport Player subscription so much better value for money ;-) Although I have to be in the right mood for Carlton and Sean, too...

Chris S

« Reply #405 on: 24 July, 2015, 06:29:47 pm »
Listening to the crowds when Froome was on camera - he was getting lots of boos. He's not very popular, is he?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #406 on: 24 July, 2015, 06:35:34 pm »
Are they Boos or 'Froome'?

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #407 on: 24 July, 2015, 06:52:24 pm »
Saw one old geezer giving him the "forearm jerk" so close and forcefully that he nearly knocked him off the bike.  No misunderstanding that!
The sound of one pannier flapping

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #408 on: 24 July, 2015, 07:05:12 pm »
No misunderstanding the guy who spat on him, either.

French fans... they don't like it up 'em, do they Captain Mainwaring?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #409 on: 24 July, 2015, 07:42:42 pm »
Dashed unsporting of Nibbles to attack like that ;)  Beastly FOREIGN trick.

Shame about G but he's worked his donkey off for the whole race.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #410 on: 24 July, 2015, 08:01:34 pm »
Shame about G but he's worked his donkey off for the whole race.

Agreed - and with Porte off, I hope they give G a crack at next year's Vuelta. I reckon he's earned it. I'd like him to have a go at the Giro but will Sky decide they need him fresh for the Tour?

« Reply #411 on: 24 July, 2015, 08:04:16 pm »
Accusing 'em of using mini electric motors now - strewth.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #412 on: 24 July, 2015, 10:57:54 pm »

Being there I decided it was similar to Joe Root and Luke Donald...

It made the boos more palatable..
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #413 on: 24 July, 2015, 11:26:36 pm »
Had great fun today.

Here's a few quick ones.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #414 on: 25 July, 2015, 07:44:42 am »

+1. 

I got the impression Froome is looking forward to it.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #415 on: 25 July, 2015, 08:28:05 am »

Boos.  The podium on Sunday isn't likely to be very edifying but at least he'll be out of spitting range.

What the fans are seeing is one guy with a strong team who has clamped a tight lid on the proceedings and is crushing anyone who attacks him.  It seems that's how the Tour is won these days, and it smacks of the Armstrong years; so automatically he's accused of doping because anything else is too complex for the thickos to understand.  It doesn't help that despite all of Armstrong's "never tested positive" protestations and the support he got from the authorities, from around his second Tour win the fans were shouting "dope" at him, and years later they were shown to be right.  Anyone whose Tour-winning machine works will get the same treatment.

The funny thing is that Movistar have a good team, which is allowing Quintana to put a bit of a crack in Froome's plaster, but nobody is shouting at them.  Take Froome and Sky out of the picture, however, and they'd be the target.  Alberto's losing but the S-T boyos are up there with him and I haven't heard anyone complaining.  The key point is that neither of them is winning.

I'm sorry for Froome, who looks clean to me.  I'm pleased he's defending his lead, but it does seem a little too coldly methodical and slightly boring. The battles for stage wins and the other jerseys are much more interesting.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Chris S

« Reply #416 on: 25 July, 2015, 03:26:09 pm »
No doubting the Boos on the Alpe today  ::-)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #417 on: 25 July, 2015, 03:57:33 pm »
wow just wow now that was a bike race.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #418 on: 25 July, 2015, 04:14:45 pm »

What the fans are seeing is one guy with a strong team who has clamped a tight lid on the proceedings and is crushing anyone who attacks him.  It seems that's how the Tour is won these days, and it smacks of the Armstrong years; so automatically he's accused of doping because anything else is too complex for the thickos to understand.

Its not just the strong team they see. It was his incredible performance on stage 10 where he put a huge amount of time into everyone else.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #419 on: 25 July, 2015, 04:19:34 pm »

What the fans are seeing is one guy with a strong team who has clamped a tight lid on the proceedings and is crushing anyone who attacks him.  It seems that's how the Tour is won these days, and it smacks of the Armstrong years; so automatically he's accused of doping because anything else is too complex for the thickos to understand.

Its not just the strong team they see. It was his incredible performance on stage 10 where he put a huge amount of time into everyone else.

If Froome takes off up the side of a mountain faster than anyone else he "must be doping", so what does it mean if a guy who "must be doping" can't keep up with Quintana's attack up the side of a different mountain?

Did Froome forget his go-faster pills, or is Quintana popping something more potent?
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #420 on: 25 July, 2015, 04:28:31 pm »

Agreed.  I hope his difficulties today have changed a few opinions, but I doubt it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #421 on: 25 July, 2015, 04:30:59 pm »
It's only occurred to me today that sloping top tubes enable a more aerodynamic position than horizontals.  Some descenders are getting their backs almost below their saddles.

You can still get pretty extreme on a traditional bike, though:

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #422 on: 25 July, 2015, 05:02:31 pm »
It's only occurred to me today that sloping top tubes enable a more aerodynamic position than horizontals.  Some descenders are getting their backs almost below their saddles.

You can still get pretty extreme on a traditional bike, though:

Sadly that position requires one's stomach to be concave. It might work for some riders but some of us are - ahem - a little more convex than that.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #423 on: 25 July, 2015, 08:28:50 pm »
Random thoughts:

The PF nibbles Nibbles in retaliation for yesterday's attack ;D

Chapeau to Wouter Poels who has really stepped up in the last couple of days when the rest of Sky looked to be falling apart.

Since Mr Boardman tells us that Quintana covered the mountain stages faster than anyone else I look forward1 to those who accuse Froome of doping to level the same accusations at Quintana.

Finally, please could someone track down:
  • the gobbers and piss-throwers, and
  • the person responsible for the arrangement of "Stairway To Heaven" played over Super Dave's piece on l'Alpe, and
and send Spartacus round to give them a good kicking?

1: Lie.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #424 on: 25 July, 2015, 08:43:19 pm »
I think sending G* with Spartacus would really thump the message home ;D

*Who's glasses I notice have their own twitter account
https://twitter.com/GeraintsGlasses
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!