Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 843881 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #6000 on: 20 June, 2020, 01:41:34 pm »
T42 - Starship Troopers is on my list.  I thought the film was enjoyable because Dougie Howser.

Never heard of him; and I'm back to Maigret.  ST is just too... jerky.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6001 on: 20 June, 2020, 02:39:33 pm »
You should (not) try "Stand on Zanzibar"
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6002 on: 20 June, 2020, 03:16:36 pm »
I read it when it came out. Great book.  Of course, some tech now seems a bit quaint but he got a lot of the mores right, although we haven't quite reached the point where advertising hoardings deliver their messages "from the yawning crotch of a receptive shiggy".

Wonderful how some phrases stick in the mind.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #6003 on: 21 June, 2020, 02:55:09 am »
I found starship trooper ver 'boys own' but as I wasn’t much beyond boyhood when I read it I quite enjoyed it. I seem to remember there were 6 books in that series.

I enjoyed Three Body Problem but haven’t read any of the sequels.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #6004 on: 22 June, 2020, 10:25:27 am »
I think I mentioned that I read Starship Troopers a while back. It was quite possibly the most awful thing I've read (and I've read some awful stuff). The movie seems to take its fascistic militarism with tongue planted firmly in cheek. The book, erm, doesn't.

But the worst crime was that it was intensely dull. Nothing much happened to people who weren't very interesting.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6005 on: 22 June, 2020, 11:18:48 am »
According to Wiki, Heinlein wrote it as a reaction to the US stopping nuclear testing.  I fell off the end of the eBook free sample and went back to Maigret.

« Reply #6006 on: 22 June, 2020, 12:46:33 pm »
A Delicate Storm, the second Cardinal from Giles Blunt. It’s quite nice having the voices from the TV series in my head, they’re a good fit.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6007 on: 22 June, 2020, 03:19:58 pm »
My reading during the pandemic - it's surprising how much you can get through when you're not spending 2-3 hours cycle commuting every weekday -:
Camus - The Plague. Not as many laughs as I'd remembered/hoped for.
Defoe - Diary of a Plague Year - Lasted to page 10 before deciding I needed a change of subject and gave in.
Mantel - The Mirror and the Light - a bit of a plod at times but glad to have finished the trilogy, and a comfort at times to go to bed and immerse myself in a well-realized world which was so much different from today's. And yet...
Sarah Gran - the Claire DeWitt trilogy. Gritty, compromised, woman PI. Funny and surprising. There's an overarching story for the 3, which stretches credulity, but knits them all together. Not that they can't be read individually. I preferred the New Orleans post-Katrina one - the first - to the LA ones, but all good.
David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest. Hard work. Struggled on for a while before deciding life's too short.
Ruth Rendell - The Bridesmaid. More like a Barbara Vine than a Ruth Rendell. A slow-burning psychological thriller. Like a long Simenon without the detective. A bit disturbing but easy to read.
Trollope - The Warden. Re-read. Don't know why. Found it tedious this time round. I now have second thoughts about embarking on Barchester Towers, which is on the pile.
Agatha Christie - The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Say no more.
2 of the 3 Mick Herron Slow Horses spy thrillers. As (checking through this thread...) also enjoyed by rafletcher. Saving the third until I get a thirst for thrillers again (currently slaked).
Justin Torres - We The Animals. Recommended by a stranger on the internet and took a punt on it because it was 99p on Kindle - this turned out to be good value for money. Series of vignettes from the viewpoint of the youngest of three boys, through his adolescence, in a struggling mixed Puerto Rican/white family. Just found out that a film was made of it in 2018.
McEwan - The Cement Garden. Thought I'd go back to my reading list from 35 years ago, and am considering Banks' The Wasp Factory (or should I consider Consider Phlebas?) again for similar nostalgic reasons.

Am going to go for Philip Roth next. Not had the pleasure before. Any recommendations? I thought, maybe, Goodbye Columbus because it's short (in case I don't like it) and the first of a series (in case I do). But it's also his first so may not be as good as later ones.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6008 on: 22 June, 2020, 04:16:59 pm »
David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest. Hard work. Struggled on for a while before deciding life's too short.

Especially given the circumstances.  I gave up on that one too, but not before tendinitis set in from holding it.

« Reply #6009 on: 11 July, 2020, 02:08:53 pm »
Finished "Earth Abides", it was worth finishing but it did feel like a book written by a Geographer.  I far preferred "Where late the Sweet Birds Sang". 

Reading the complete Sherlock Holmes.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6010 on: 12 July, 2020, 07:25:11 am »
Haven't read any Sherlock Holmes for a long while
The book of Starship Troopers, agree that was dull as ditchwater

Just finished Millennium by Ben Nova, somewhat apocryphal perhaps?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6011 on: 12 July, 2020, 08:02:58 am »
Picked up Neal Stephenson's entire Baroque Trilogy for something like 5€. >2,300 pp. Read it a couple of times already but at that price...  Also, his book Fall; or Dodge in Hell, which I haven't already read. Reading that now.

ElyDave

« Reply #6012 on: 12 July, 2020, 08:57:52 am »
I had another moon rebellion based book, but can't blooming find it, was looking forward to another read of that after Millenium

Annoying thing is I can vaguely remember the plot, but not title or author, though I'd recognise it on the bookshelf.  Maybe its one of those I  took somewhere and deliberately left it to be passed around

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6013 on: 12 July, 2020, 12:09:08 pm »
I had another moon rebellion based book, but can't blooming find it, was looking forward to another read of that after Millenium

Annoying thing is I can vaguely remember the plot, but not title or author, though I'd recognise it on the bookshelf.  Maybe its one of those I  took somewhere and deliberately left it to be passed around

Heinlein's "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress"?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

« Reply #6014 on: 12 July, 2020, 05:03:22 pm »
Possibly, another moon revolt job?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6015 on: 12 July, 2020, 05:13:39 pm »
Yup, with a sentient computer called Mike who slings rocks at Earth.

ElyDave

« Reply #6016 on: 12 July, 2020, 09:10:25 pm »

That's the one,
Cigar for Mr 42, or a good drop of whatever you fancy

« Reply #6017 on: 13 July, 2020, 12:03:34 am »
Heart of Darkness and Good Omens on the queue to dip in between Conan Doyles.

ElyDave

« Reply #6018 on: 13 July, 2020, 05:50:27 am »
Heart of Darkness is a great read, there's not much of Conrad that isn't

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6019 on: 03 August, 2020, 11:26:44 pm »
Cry Baby, the umpteenth instalment of Mark Billingham's long-running DI Thorne series.  Except it isn’t, because it turns out it’s actually a prequel to Sleepyhead aka Thorne 1.0.  Early doors yet but there's been a nice juicy killin'.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6020 on: 09 August, 2020, 11:27:12 am »
Good: Thorne refers to John Selwyn Gummer as an arsehole :thumbsup:
Not good: Fiesta Cosworth?

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #6021 on: 09 August, 2020, 10:11:33 pm »
I found starship trooper ver 'boys own' but as I wasn’t much beyond boyhood when I read it I quite enjoyed it. I seem to remember there were 6 books in that series.

I enjoyed Three Body Problem but haven’t read any of the sequels.

Nope. Starship Troopers is a standalone.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #6022 on: 09 August, 2020, 10:23:18 pm »

That's the one,
Cigar for Mr 42, or a good drop of whatever you fancy

First book I thought of!

Heinlein is someone who could write well, and carry a story, as well as challenge preconceptions. His description of the US juvenile-into-adult justice system in the USA was spot on* (pity about his proposed solution, though)

What grates about him now (in my experience) is that I see far more clearly his obsessions, particularly in intergenerational sex. Putting aside the incest in "Time Enough for Love", you see the same 'little girl becoming older male relative's partner' trope in everything from 'Door into Summer'. an adult book, to 'Time for the Stars', allegedly a young person's book, by way of 'Farnham's Freehold'. Alpha male gets very young bride, in essence.

*In essence, he criticised the then-current US juvenile system and compared bringing up a child to bringing up a dog the wrong way. You see the puppy make messes in the house, so you just lock it up for a few hours before letting it out again. After a year of this, you realise that the dog is now an adult, so the next time it pees on the carpet, you shoot it dead.

Another quote from that one was about the phrase "juvenile delinquent", where "delinquent" means failing in responsibility, while "juvenile" means too young to exercise responsibility in the first place.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6023 on: 12 August, 2020, 04:52:55 pm »
Having reached the end of Cry Baby it turned out to be a prequel in chronological terms only, being set against a backdrop of Euro '96, with killin's.

(click to show/hide)

Now on Ben Aaronovitch's “False Value” which I should have read four months ago. The cover glows in the dark.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6024 on: 13 August, 2020, 08:07:42 am »
Cryptonomicon, again.  Great fun.