Author Topic: The FIFA row...  (Read 28304 times)

Re: The FIFA row...
« Reply #50 on: 28 May, 2015, 04:10:55 pm »
Apparently trying to get Blatter to resign is blasphemy according to one of the delegates. You couldn't make this stuff up.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #51 on: 28 May, 2015, 04:42:33 pm »
Talking of blasphemy, it's a measure of FIFA's disrepute when even Maradona can put the boot in with both hands:

“They called me mad but thankfully today the truth is out and I am enjoying it,” said Maradona, who has long been at odds with the sport’s governing body.

“They hate soccer. They hate transparency. Enough shady dealings. Enough lying to the people,” the former midfielder told an Argentinian radio station.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #52 on: 28 May, 2015, 04:45:22 pm »
He's probably emailling pat mcquaid just now asking for tips.
Yes! Well, no. But after FIFA... the IOC?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #53 on: 28 May, 2015, 04:55:20 pm »
Talking of blasphemy, it's a measure of FIFA's disrepute when even Maradona can put the boot in with both hands:

“They called me mad but thankfully today the truth is out and I am enjoying it,” said Maradona, who has long been at odds with the sport’s governing body.

“They hate soccer. They hate transparency. Enough shady dealings. Enough lying to the people,” the former midfielder told an Argentinian radio station.

Now THAT is unbelievable.  Presumably even Charles Manson will be looking rosey soon compared... ;D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #54 on: 28 May, 2015, 05:19:02 pm »
I see that there is a vacancy for Middle East Peace Envoy, should Mr. Blatter wish to apply.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

caerau

« Reply #55 on: 28 May, 2015, 06:15:22 pm »
Well Blatter cannot monitor everyone all of the time apparently. 

Funny how we all seem to know but it went over his head.  If he's not corrupt (stop laughing over there!) then surely that is negligent beyond belief. Either way it's gobsmacking that he still has the gall to carry on.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #56 on: 28 May, 2015, 06:38:46 pm »
Putin has declared his support for Septic, and confirmed the arrests are part of a US plot to wrest the event out of Mother Russias hands. I expect he is doing hat because there will shortly be a rash of stories confirming how much Russia payed to secure the votes.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #57 on: 28 May, 2015, 06:41:59 pm »
At the 2018 World Cup Russia will be fielding 11 players per match in their normal strip plus another 11 in camo green that everyone else in the world but the Russian media will be able to see. If anyone complains that it's cheating Putin will say that they are just fans lending a hand and not extra official players.

« Reply #58 on: 28 May, 2015, 08:59:07 pm »
Well Blatter cannot monitor everyone all of the time apparently. 

Funny how we all seem to know but it went over his head.  If he's not corrupt (stop laughing over there!) then surely that is negligent beyond belief. Either way it's gobsmacking that he still has the gall to carry on.

That, or the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal knows where the bodies are buried, so to speak.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #59 on: 28 May, 2015, 10:46:31 pm »
I couldn't give a monkeys about football but I do find it amusing that a member of the Jordanian royal family is being presented as the integrity candidate for FIFA presidency
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #60 on: 28 May, 2015, 11:09:53 pm »
Can't see that Russia is too wrong as a choice for the World Cup.

Crater, though, that's just silly.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #61 on: 28 May, 2015, 11:24:56 pm »
Can't see that Russia is too wrong as a choice for the World Cup.

Crater, though, that's just silly.

What, the next tournament after Russia is now being held in Yemen?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #62 on: 28 May, 2015, 11:43:17 pm »
Aaargh, that's the auto-blatter
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #63 on: 28 May, 2015, 11:43:42 pm »
He's probably emailling pat mcquaid just now asking for tips.

I'd have guessed Verbruggen, but OK, close enough.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

« Reply #64 on: 28 May, 2015, 11:52:15 pm »
Aaargh, that's the auto-blatter

I guessed as much, but it was too good an opportunity to resist.  ;D

« Reply #65 on: 29 May, 2015, 07:10:41 am »
Apropos of auto-Blatter, I supect we are only one arrest away from it being called 'Blattergate'. 

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #66 on: 29 May, 2015, 07:36:41 am »
The obvious corruption of Fifa is actually less of an issue than the World celebrating Qatar. I read that they expect at least 4000 migrant workers to die in accidents and heat related illness in the building of stadia and hotels etc.
The World Cup is not just a festival of corruption and fraud, it is a celebration of slavery. Generally those of us who take no interest in it just sit back, but I do think it should be more actively opposed now.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

caerau

« Reply #67 on: 29 May, 2015, 08:06:53 am »
Just heard on the news that FIFA is.... wait for it .... a registered charity.  ???

Indeed, you couldn't make this up.

« Reply #68 on: 29 May, 2015, 08:09:05 am »
tigerrr, Too late, it's been awarded and no-one has big enough balls to say "Hey, let's not go there".
Even the  English F.A will not pull out , despite being ridiculed and called corrupt in the most recent investigation into the bid process. I doubt UEFA will either.
Players agents would be lining up lawyers to contest a constraint of employment and all that guff.
T.V money rules , it may not be corrupt in the true meaning of the word but it changes the whole approach to the game IMO. Principles went out of the window a long time ago.

« Reply #69 on: 29 May, 2015, 08:47:50 am »
The head of the Brazilian FA has just skipped the country. Switzerland getting a bit too hot for him I think.

« Reply #70 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:43:11 am »
Principles went out of the window a long time ago.

1978 being a good example.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11036214/while-world-watched-world-cup-brings-back-memories-argentina-dirty-war

To be fair, it's highly possible that knowledge of what was going on wasn't that widespread, I've no idea, so comparisons to the modern day can't really be drawn, and I don't recall a lot of outrage being expressed at the time. I guess you could point the finger at many aspects of virtually any country that has hosted the WC, but some do stand out as being particularly brutal.
Garry Broad

« Reply #71 on: 29 May, 2015, 10:12:16 am »
Just heard on the news that FIFA is.... wait for it .... a registered charity.  ???

Indeed, you couldn't make this up.

TBH I am not surprised.  Lots of things are charities when the beneficiaries are surprising, e.g. Eton College and Harvard university.

However, wrt football, it must be said, a lot of good has been done for Africans, some of it through football, some of it through corruption. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #72 on: 29 May, 2015, 01:12:08 pm »
I think the slaves referred to are technically indentured labourers. They haven't been captured, they've been inherited. Probably even worse, in some ways.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #73 on: 29 May, 2015, 01:18:18 pm »
Some of them were "lent" to the Qataris by that well-known bastion of human rights and tolerance North Korea, with any money they earn going to, er, the government of North Korea.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #74 on: 29 May, 2015, 06:25:46 pm »
And Blatter gets another massive majority !
Unbelievable.