Author Topic: Dry January 2019  (Read 10692 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Dry January 2019
« Reply #25 on: 07 January, 2019, 05:25:04 pm »
Anyway, as said, anything fermented will contain some alcohol.

A sealed bottle with week-old dregs of room temperature milk in it can be surprisingly alcoholic[1].  (DAHIKT)

[1] I'm assuming it's an alcohol that set off the combustible gas alarm when barakta tried to surreptitiously wash it up without me giving her the Ian Rush lecture.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #26 on: 07 January, 2019, 05:42:39 pm »
I'm in.. New relationship as of September and we'd fallen into the trap of opening a bottle of wine every evening or just going to the pub, so we're both going for it.  So far I don't feel any better, not sleeping any better and havent lost any weight.  Hopefully it's a blip...

Either:
It's only a week in
or What have you replaced the alcoholic beverages with?
Example: Replacing a bottle of wine a night (circa 600kcal) with say 5 cans (140kcal per can) of full sugar coke is counter productive on the weight loss front!

« Reply #27 on: 07 January, 2019, 08:54:30 pm »
I'm in.. New relationship as of September and we'd fallen into the trap of opening a bottle of wine every evening or just going to the pub, so we're both going for it.  So far I don't feel any better, not sleeping any better and havent lost any weight.  Hopefully it's a blip...

Either:
It's only a week in
Example: Replacing a bottle of wine a night (circa 600kcal) with say 5 cans (140kcal per can) of full sugar coke is counter productive on the weight loss front!

Expectation management and all that. You may not feel any better, you may not sleep any better and you may not lose any weight. But giving your liver a rest is a good thing, and more importantly, it's good to look at the hold booze has over you/us. So doing a month for that reason is a good thing. It's good to stand back and see the reaction. Treat it like a lab test - just do it and be honest about what comes up, or doesn't, as the case my be.

Although not strictly doing dry January [but as good as, won't be drinking much at all], I recently did 4 months on the wagon from Aug 30th to Dec 25th - mainly due to blood pressure issues and the possible onset of AFib [not quite sure what's going on yet, things are in process]. I decided to stop for 4 months not because beer is the root cause of these health concerns, but I just wanted it out of the way for a while to see if BP regulated at all. That's without doubt the longest I've gone without beer since I was 16. Do I feel any better after 4 months? A bit. But not massively. Am I sleeping any better? Alcohol definitely affects my sleep, so that has improved, but again only a bit, not massively. And I lost a bit of weight, which I've now regained [but weight has never really been a concern]. So in a way, I am a tad disappointed. But that disappointment comes from expectations being dashed [where did they come from in the first place?], and not being content to go with whatever arose during the period. But it's easy to lose sight of the achievement - I proved to myself that I can stop for 4 months, and if I have to stop for health reasons in the future, then, no problem, I know I can do it. That, in itself, feels kind of empowering.

But for me personally, by far the biggest ramification of not drinking is the effect it started to have on my social life. I love pubs, I love beer and it's the loss of that environment that was a constant reality. I don't drink in the flat [mainly because self-control would go walkabouts], all my drinking has mainly happened in pubs with other people. That's where the loss was felt. If this was to continue it would be like staring a whole new life. And as for the low/no alcohol stuff. It's kind of tolerable on a really, really good day, but for the most part - forget it. Junk juice. I won't be drinking much of that stuff.

I packed up the fags about 20 years ago, after years of repeated attempts. Best thing I ever did. But the reality is, I know deep down that to arrive at that same decisive, clear-cut feeling about alcohol [especially good beer] looks a long way off at the moment. So it's a case of trying to maintain a sense of self-awareness about consumption and general management of the situation. We'll see.

Anyway, back to the thread, rambling on a bit  - good luck everybody. Stay clean :)
Garry Broad

« Reply #28 on: 07 January, 2019, 09:05:56 pm »
I've recently discovered ice tea. It tastes better when it's cold brewed (i.e. tea infused in cold water in the fridge overnight) so it's one for drinking at home. Tea is less bitter when cold brewed, and apparently contains less caffeine. Quite a nice drink. And remarkably different to a cup of tea.

I spent some time experimenting with cold brewed coffee in the summer. Brilliant to keep a jug on the fridge, but very potent if you make it nice!

Not doing dry January, but won’t be drinking regularly and less than over Christmas and New Year.

« Reply #29 on: 08 January, 2019, 09:28:15 am »

Either:
It's only a week in

:) I was mostly joking, I didnt expect to see too many changes in a week! (and I've replaced the wine with herbal tea..  perhaps it's the biscuits that are the problem :D)

Chris S

« Reply #30 on: 08 January, 2019, 11:00:06 am »
Von Broad - did it help your BP? Asking for a friend...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #31 on: 08 January, 2019, 02:01:57 pm »
I usually give up for Lent and some years extend that from the start of January.  This year I was on holiday in Scotland over New Year so decided on a late start - 6th January.   However, if I ride the Easter Arrow lent will end at 9am Easter Saturday.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 08 January, 2019, 03:28:24 pm »
I have now got to the point with my diet that the default position is not to drink anything. I hadn't actually thought about it, but I don't think I've had anything to drink since my glass of wine on NYD. I have an awful lot of bottles of Tempting Things* on the dresser and they are not preying on my mind.

*several single malts, a couple of bottles of gin, numerous fine ales, red wine, two or three different sherries and a bottle of port.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #33 on: 08 January, 2019, 06:53:49 pm »
Von Broad - did it help your BP? Asking for a friend...

It has helped, yes, but not as much as I was hoping for [expectations again]. I'm certainly 'capable' of getting more normal readings during the day than I was before when I was drinking. I'm trying to go back to basics - exercise, diet and [especially] sleep & stress are also big factors in all this. Everything relates to everything else though. Drink can lead to poorer food choices which can also lead to poorer sleep which can lead to more tiredness and stress during the day, which can facilitate less interest in exercise, so it can easily have it's own kind of perpetual lifestyle choice.

I'm borderline for meds, but am resisting at all costs, which may not be a sensible approach, but it's one I've chosen for now. I'm in the middle of various tests etc I will only go on meds if I've exhausted all lifestyle options, but you have to be serious about those lifestyle options, there is no temporary quick fix. And yet sometimes you just have to admit that there is nothing else that can be done but to bite the bullet. We're not quite there yet though. It may be delusional but I'm confident of making progress.

There's nothing wrong with alcohol. The issue is ones relationship to it. As you know. I tend to be more of a binge drinker than a moderately consistent drinker and that's most definitely NOT good for BP.

It's such an individual thing though all this stuff.
And an age thing too :-) - 60 this year. The body talks. I'm more in the mood to start listening a bit more attentively these days!
Garry Broad

« Reply #34 on: 10 January, 2019, 01:09:31 pm »
It may be a complete coincidence (and caused by something completely different) but I'm finding food (the same food) spicier than before. Anyone else?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #35 on: 10 January, 2019, 02:00:43 pm »
It may be a complete coincidence (and caused by something completely different) but I'm finding food (the same food) spicier than before. Anyone else?

Any food, or just spicy food? I don't really "do" spicy.

Not much to report here - sleep is improving slowly. Had more symptoms that one might ascribe to withdrawal, but could equally be the return to keto-ways.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #36 on: 10 January, 2019, 02:12:53 pm »
I drink far too little to make any comparison.

Can't recall noticing a difference when I lived in Glasgow, where I drank more but maybe the natives favoured hotter curries.

« Reply #37 on: 10 January, 2019, 02:27:00 pm »
Any food, or just spicy food? I don't really "do" spicy.

Spicy food is spicier.

i.e. more than 5 different food items (all from different places/supermarkets) which were all comfortable level of spiciness are all suddenly verging on 'oof that's a bit spicy' level.

« Reply #38 on: 14 January, 2019, 10:10:30 pm »
giving your liver a rest is a good thing,

Is it?
Is there any evidence that abstaining for a few weeks then going back is beneficial?
 I'd always assumed that it wouldn't be, that you needed to make long term dietary changes to have any effect, but maybe that's wrong.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #39 on: 15 January, 2019, 01:19:07 pm »
Dry January is a waste of time, if February is back to business.
If you half the units for 12 months is a lot better than having a dry month... as usual, moderation wins.

I think the 14 units currently recommended are quite a generous allowance, it means 2 visits to the pub per week with 3 pints each... if you can't stick to 14 units, I think you have a problem with alcohol

« Reply #40 on: 15 January, 2019, 01:31:04 pm »
But that's part of the rationale behind Dry January.

A considerable percentage of people move on to drink less as a result of taking a month off, it helps them realise that alcohol isn't a crutch that is necessary to get themselves through a normal week. 3 weeks is often quoted as the time taken to break a habit and so stopping it for a month will help many people break the various bad and unnecessary habits.

https://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/millions-to-do-dry-january-2019/

Dry January helps people to drink more healthily year-round. Research conducted with over 800 Dry January participants showed that Dry January participants are still drinking less in August:

Drinking days per week dropped on average from 4.3 to 3.3.
    Units consumed per drinking day dropped on average from 8.6 to 7.1.
    Frequency of drunkenness fell on average from 3.4 per month to 2.1 per month.

ian

« Reply #41 on: 15 January, 2019, 01:51:51 pm »
A quick glance didn't reveal any peer-reviewed evidence (as opposed to a self-selecting surveys with no control groups), though I think it's widely accepted these days that any kind of abstinence programme doesn't really work (be it diet, sex, or alcohol). People who are alcoholics aren't likely to do 'Dry January' on account they can't manage 'Dry Tuesday.' Perhaps it helps people understand what they're drinking, but again, if you're aware enough to be doing the thing, chances are you're already aware that you have a problem.

Moderation is correct – there's nothing wrong with having a drink, it just when it becomes breakfast or you find yourself looking for Buckfast in the 24-hour Asda at 3 am.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #42 on: 15 January, 2019, 05:18:51 pm »
Moderation is correct – there's nothing wrong with having a drink, it just when it becomes breakfast or you find yourself looking for Buckfast in the 24-hour Asda at 3 am.

Without going to those extremes, plenty of people who knock down 40-50 units a week and think they don't have a problem with alcohol...

If dry January help them realise, then it might be a good thing... but if all they do is counting the days to Feb 1st, tick the box and go for a binge, then it's a waste of time

ian

« Reply #43 on: 15 January, 2019, 05:34:16 pm »
Yes, but people who believe they don't have a problem with alcohol aren't very likely to do Dry January, so it's a bit self-defeating.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #44 on: 15 January, 2019, 05:55:14 pm »
Yes, but people who believe they don't have a problem with alcohol aren't very likely to do Dry January, so it's a bit self-defeating.

They might do it as a fad... so they can post photos of their depressed faces on Instagram or something

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #45 on: 15 January, 2019, 05:58:16 pm »
There's also the financial aspect....

« Reply #46 on: 15 January, 2019, 06:01:29 pm »

4 million people do it (or at least start it). That's got to include a fair number of people who do have a problem with alcohol.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #47 on: 15 January, 2019, 06:05:32 pm »
I doubt if everyone who does it has or thinks they have an alcohol problem, just as not everyone doing vegan January eats or thinks they eat too much meat. Thinking that less would be better for you isn't the same as thinking you've got too much now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #48 on: 15 January, 2019, 06:17:20 pm »
Well, four million people say they're going to do it (extrapolated from a survey), I doubt they actually do. And judging by the couple I know, they don't last a week, and now are convinced they're alcoholics. That's the logic of abstinence, endless cycles of guilt and binging. Now, I've nothing against Dry January, it simply means more for me. That and people keeping drilling their doomed virtue into my ear and then double with the self-thrashing when they inevitably fail. This simply makes me want to drink even more. So, yes, it's pretty selfish. Anyway, the core reason for avoiding any kind of abstinence is the fact you may shortly die from something other than regret.

What's happening in February? It must be the month of something? Come on. Otherwise, they'll be a gap before Let's Lube Up for Lent. I wouldn't Instagram that though, probably against a policy.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #49 on: 15 January, 2019, 06:19:18 pm »
What's happening in February? It must be the month of something? Come on. Otherwise, they'll be a gap before Let's Lube Up for Lent. I wouldn't Instagram that though, probably against a policy.
Well, Easter eggs and Valentine's cards are already in the shops, so presumably next month is Let's Celebrate Celibate February.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.