Author Topic: "virtual" commuting  (Read 2567 times)

Euan Uzami

"virtual" commuting
« on: 26 January, 2010, 11:52:47 am »
does anybody here do this...
basically just going for a thrash round the lanes either before or after work, and then going to work in the car or public transport.
The idea is that you get a daily bike ride, but avoid the hassles of getting changed, bike parking, trafficky routes, and what not.

if so do you do it in the dark?
before or after work?

Zoidburg

Re: "virtual" commuting
« Reply #1 on: 26 January, 2010, 11:55:01 am »
I think it is more commonly known as "riding a bike for pleasure in your spare time"

"Virtual" commuting. ::-)

Strewth.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:00:38 pm »
When I lived in New York I used to do a couple of laps of Central Park before work but, as Zoidburg says, I thought of it as "riding a bike for pleasure in your spare time" rather than a commute.

I did it first thing because I was up, morning suited family commitments better and the roads were quieter

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #3 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:06:54 pm »
I get the virtual commuting thing I think. I work from home 2 or 3 days a week and from the office the rest of the time.

When I work in the office I commute to work by bike. When I'm at home I get up and do a circular ride from home instead of my commute. It helps to keep that routine otherwise on some days I just wouldn't ride.

So I understand why in your mind it makes sense to treat your early morning ride as a commute. In the summer and Spring of course it really is just called "riding your bike for pleasure in your spare time"  ;D
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #4 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:08:38 pm »
It's a lovely idea but you have to have the most willpower in the world to keep it up day in day out.

The days I work from home I just can not be arsed to go out on the bike.

Occasionally I'll make my normal commute 40km longer by doing 3 laps of Richmond Park on the way in or home.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:10:29 pm »
"virtual" means "in effect but not in reality"

If the ride is in all weathers, same time and is otherwise "like" a commute then I suppose it could be a virtual commute

I never thought of the rides I used to do before work  (when I worked at home) as any kind of commute.  They were training rides.

« Reply #6 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:17:53 pm »
tbh, commuting isn't great fun, when you have to do it. Tedious.

I'd treat the rides you describe as training or pleasure rides, and don't think of them as commuting.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:25:00 pm »
"virtual" means "in effect but not in reality"

"virtual" commuting would be closer to doing an hour (or whatever) on a turbo before and after work instead of cycling to/from work.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Zoidburg

« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:29:28 pm »
I am sorry to mention this but this thread is like an episode of In The Thick Of It - except we seem to brain storming ways to put a spin on the simple act of riding a bike.

It makes me want to shake and slap people.

Enough with this "blue-sky thinking" or whatever.

« Reply #9 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:30:13 pm »
As I wasn't tired, I went out at 1am last night and did 2 days worth of commuting distance. I have a road that is currently blocked by flooding (at Welney Wash) at an equal distance to my commute - so it virtually traffic free, and is one of the few roads around here with virtually no potholes.  :thumbsup:

I'm intending to make it a regular thing. I had been calling it training, but 'virtual commute'... I can live with that.

I'm hoping to put some tunes on the mp3 and go out and suprise more barn owls again tonight  ;D

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #10 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:37:53 pm »
As nearly all of my cycling could be classified as commuting, I think I'm with Zoidburg on this ...

Euan Uzami

« Reply #11 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:46:32 pm »
I think it is more commonly known as "riding a bike for pleasure in your spare time"

"Virtual" commuting. ::-)

Strewth.

not my terminology. read it in cycle magazine i think it was CTC's

Euan Uzami

« Reply #12 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:51:46 pm »
I am sorry to mention this but this thread is like an episode of In The Thick Of It - except we seem to brain storming ways to put a spin on the simple act of riding a bike.

It makes me want to shake and slap people.

what we call it isn't important, that's not why i brought it up

what i was more interested in is whether people deliberately do it INSTEAD of cycling TO work, in order to cut out the hassles commonly associated with cycling to work

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #13 on: 26 January, 2010, 01:08:03 pm »
I cycle to work to cut out the hassles of other modes of commuting.

Chris S

« Reply #14 on: 26 January, 2010, 01:12:12 pm »

Feel free to just ignore the thread ZB  :D.

I've tried it (as I work at home). It's tough and boring, and I can't keep it up. I prefer to take a long lunch-hour and bash out 30km in the sunshine. Yeah, I know - "What sunshine?".

LEE

« Reply #15 on: 26 January, 2010, 01:59:59 pm »
I work from home almost full-time.  In summer it's no problem to get some pleasurable miles in but it's tough to get motivated in winter.

Sometimes I wish I was forced to commute but then I think better of it (whenever I ride in built-up areas that is). (I spent many years cycle commuting to Telephone Exchanges in busy towns all over South Manchester)

I treat most of my weekday rides as a "Virtual Commute" in order to force myself out.  Invariably, once I am out in the lanes, I am glad I forced myself out.

I just need a bit more will-power because I am blessed with some beautiful "commuting" roads on my doorstep.  It's just that I only get to see them in the dark right now.

Here is the half-way point on my 14 mile virtual commute, looking back towards home.
On balance I think I'll stick to using will-power and this route rather than being forced to commute on some urban jungle route.

Just looking at that photo makes me want to do a bit of commuting.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 26 January, 2010, 04:50:01 pm »
It makes me want to get out on my bike and ride somewhere in some weather above freezing. It doesn't make me want to go to work.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17 on: 26 January, 2010, 06:24:03 pm »
Motivation issues here too..  Probably should do more morning rides than I do, it piles on the miles quite quickly. Its just tricky to get up early when 'work' is 6 meters from home :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18 on: 30 January, 2010, 06:32:54 pm »
The term originated in an article by Dave Barter of Swindon RC.  Why someone would want to go for a ride around Swindon when they didn't have to is a vexing question.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.