Author Topic: Negotiating the ferry and France...  (Read 14074 times)

Re: Negotiating the ferry and France...
« Reply #75 on: 09 July, 2009, 11:17:31 pm »
I'm just glad my POIs are on an SD card.

I'm sure the passenger could get the GPS SD card out and into a camera whilst the driver was stopping at the police's request  :demon:

For what it's worth we got caught by FIVE cameras last time we drove to Italy.  All were on the POI.  All were passed well under the speed limit (approx 100km/h in a 130km/h limit).  I have no respect for organisations that put that much stress on an individual - I spent most of my holiday flinching when I saw the police cars out of fear that my numberplate would cause them to ban me from driving*.

* Once we were stopped by the police in France - simply because we had two people in the car.  They'd stopped somebody for speeding, banned him on the spot and wanted an English1 driver to drive him back to the ferry.

1  AKA proper  :demon:

« Reply #76 on: 10 July, 2009, 12:17:41 am »
Andym - I (google) translated this from TomTom's French language website:

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems
Get the locations of speed cameras, be aware of what awaits you! ... This clever service that allows you to receive the locations of speed cameras, including those reported by other users, helps you stay relaxed, adopt safer driving and pay less for tickets.

...You can use your subscription TomTom ['Safety cameras'] in the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Italy, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Sweden and United Kingdom.

Also found this one the UK amazon site for a TomTom with Western Europe mapping. Maybe this is new.
PRE-INSTALLED SAFETY
CAMERA LOCATIONS

Your device comes with fixed safety camera alerts pre-installed...

Nutty, when you say 'caught' - were you issued with fines?

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #77 on: 10 July, 2009, 12:26:21 am »
Nutty, when you say 'caught' - where you issued with fines?

The camera, she go Flash Flash, the fine she not appear in the post even though 18 months have passeth.

« Reply #78 on: 14 July, 2009, 01:06:53 pm »
I was looking at a Michelin route map...can somone explain the relationship between the E and A routes.  Some E routes just change number between towns almost at random.

PS Nutty, that gif is a bit disturbing...  ;)

« Reply #79 on: 14 July, 2009, 01:31:30 pm »
Got back from France on Sunday night. In response to recommendations at the beginning of the thread, I second the bit about the Beaune campsite. It's a good (four star) campsite, about 2km (i.e. walking distance) from the town centre and all the wine and escargots that has to offer. It's a Camping Municipal, so it's cheap, it's about 600km from Calais, and it's easy to get to the autoroute from. One warning - it's very popular with those who use it for an overnight stop, so either book in advance, or turn up before about five in the evening - especially at weekends. We were there a few nights, and on the weeknights they were full to camper vans but still had plots for tents, but on the Saturday night they were completely full.

As for comments on autoroutes - yup, they're great. And they take English plastic quite happily, though you might want to make sure you have a few different types in your car - at Christmas one of the peages was refusing Natwest cards, and we didn't have any other types in our car, but fortunately we were able to scrape together enough cash to get through. No such troubles this time.

We don't have a satnav, and never needed one. All our naviation was sone using a large (A2 size?) folding map, and the Lonely Planet Cycling France book. That said, the only town centres we did were Montpellier (which we knew, and were cycling) and Dijon, where entirely by chance we found the only free car park in town anyway (behind the police station, next to the railway).
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #80 on: 14 July, 2009, 02:11:30 pm »
Thanks for the info kathy.  Camping sounds a good option.  This time on way back we have a place in Troyes booked and I'm hoping to leave the roofbox behind, so camping gear might be a step too far for us - maybe next year.  OOI how much was it? 

I ordered the Lonely Planet phrase book seems quite good - have to see how much O-level french I can dredge up...

« Reply #81 on: 14 July, 2009, 02:26:09 pm »
Thanks for the info kathy.  Camping sounds a good option.  This time on way back we have a place in Troyes booked and I'm hoping to leave the roofbox behind, so camping gear might be a step too far for us - maybe next year.  OOI how much was it? 

Campsites in France charge x amount for the plot, x per person, x per vehicle, and so on, so prices will vary depending on your exact situation, but for two people, one tent and one car, it was about E12.50 per night. Big plots, good facilities (no swimming pool, but a petanque area, playground, generic ball-games (tennis, netball, basketball etc) courts and a BBQ area), and a nice little early-opening patisserie at the end of the road. It's quite easy to find - it's about 1-2km north-west of the dead centre of the town, and it the only campsite in Beaune so you just follow the signs.

I ordered the Lonely Planet phrase book seems quite good - have to see how much O-level french I can dredge up...

The Lonely Planet Cycling France book is *very useful*, as it has a glossary at the back with translations of useful phrases like "gear shifter", "brake cable", "flat tyre" and "wheel sucker". :)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #82 on: 14 July, 2009, 04:09:25 pm »
I was looking at a Michelin route map...can somone explain the relationship between the E and A routes.  Some E routes just change number between towns almost at random.

E routes are Euro Routes rather than national ones. The idea being that a road can have the same number as it traverses a border. So a road can be the A something and the E something as well. I think some of the UK motorways have E numbers but we never actually use them or put them on signs.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #83 on: 14 July, 2009, 05:21:58 pm »

E routes are Euro Routes rather than national ones. The idea being that a road can have the same number as it traverses a border. So a road can be the A something and the E something as well. I think some of the UK motorways have E numbers but we never actually use them or put them on signs.

Well yes, one can have too many e numbers... ;)

« Reply #84 on: 15 July, 2009, 06:53:36 am »

The Lonely Planet Cycling France book is *very useful*, as it has a glossary at the back with translations of useful phrases like "gear shifter", "brake cable", "flat tyre" and "wheel sucker". :)

Apparently the original is out of print, but a new edition is about to be released: Lonely Planet France Cycling Guide.

If it's as useful as the old one then I'm glad to see it come back, along with cycling guides to Britain and Italy.

« Reply #85 on: 22 July, 2009, 11:56:34 am »
I need to get a French plug adapter.  Are battery chargers etc compatible with Euro voltages?

Another random question - do people generally drink tap water in France?

« Reply #86 on: 22 July, 2009, 12:11:31 pm »
Speed camera POIs are also illegal in France.
Would be a bit daft having such things in your SatNav when there's no reciprocal agreement with UK to forward speeding tickets, but then getting an on the spot fine ;)
Of course, I'm sure nobody here would speed anyway :)

andym are you sure it's not systems that actually detect speed camera in real time that are illegal?   AFAIA all Sat Nav's display speed camera POIs(?), but presumably there is the option to turn them off in the preferences settings...

No they don,'t as a default. You can purchase the databases from most manufacturers, or (like me on the one you have borrowed) download from Pocket GPS World website (you have to pay  amembership fee to join, but it's much cheaper than TomTom annual subscription)  These databases contain not only fixed camera positions, but also a number of mobile and temporary (roadworks average speed) ones too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

iakobski

« Reply #87 on: 22 July, 2009, 12:14:25 pm »
I need to get a French plug adapter.  Are battery chargers etc compatible with Euro voltages?

Rabies is rife on the continent - check for foaming at the mouth before patting any dogs or horses, etc. Also, if you are going as far south as the Dordogne, you'll need a course of antimalarial prophylactics - your doctor might also recommend jabs for hepititis-B  and yellow fever.

Don't bother taking anything mains powered - although the voltage is nominally the same as the UK, it so poorly regulated it can easily destroy delicate electronics, and besides there are powercuts for most of the day outside the major conurbations.

As well as avoiding tap water, don't take ice in drinks or eat salads.

« Reply #88 on: 22 July, 2009, 12:14:46 pm »

French water has been safe for decades. I used to fill my bottles from the fountains that were marked "eau non potabile"  that you found in town squares :)

Most will drink bottled water with a meal, and prices aren't too bad, but you can ask for "un carafe de l'eau normale" - "ordinary" or tap water, if you like.

« Reply #89 on: 22 July, 2009, 12:15:42 pm »

I always have unless there is a sign telling you not too. Its perfectly safe although Nutty will probably tell you different :)

« Reply #90 on: 22 July, 2009, 12:16:06 pm »

Rabies is rife on the continent - check for foaming at the mouth before patting any dogs or horses, etc. Also, if you are going as far south as the Dordogne, you'll need a course of antimalarial prophylactics - your doctor might also recommend jabs for hepititis-B  and yellow fever.

Don't bother taking anything mains powered - although the voltage is nominally the same as the UK, it so poorly regulated it can easily destroy delicate electronics, and besides there are powercuts for most of the day outside the major conurbations.

As well as avoiding tap water, don't take ice in drinks or eat salads.

Can't equate all that with the France I've been to. Hopefully you're tongue is firmly inyour cheek...

« Reply #91 on: 22 July, 2009, 12:23:59 pm »

French water has been safe for decades. I used to fill my bottles from the fountains that were marked "eau non potabile"  that you found in town squares :)

I never found a fountain marked "non potabile" - the nearest I got was one with a sign saying that the water hadn't been treated - but I drank it anyway and was fine.

Out of four of us drinking tap water and water from village fountains for a week, the only upset tummy was due to an onion quiche.  ::-)

« Reply #92 on: 22 July, 2009, 12:55:47 pm »
Thanks all.  So tap water is fine, and electrical appliances should be OK too.

A Random o., I guess you meant Hepatitis A :), re. the electrics, I may just be tempted to take my surge protector...  ;)  

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #93 on: 22 July, 2009, 01:08:15 pm »
French mains electricity supply is at least as good as UK's, probably better unless you're somewhere really remote.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

iakobski

« Reply #94 on: 22 July, 2009, 01:18:01 pm »
sorry yes I was joking -  as I thought andyoxon was when he asked if it was safe to drink the water!

« Reply #95 on: 22 July, 2009, 01:39:47 pm »
sorry yes I was joking -  as I thought andyoxon was when he asked if it was safe to drink the water!

Thought you might have been.  :)   It's 17yrs since we've had a holiday in France (cycling in Brittany in 1991!)  I just remember someone saying everyone drank mineral water & thought there might be a reason.  We used to drink water straight out the tap when I lived in Bulawayo, Zim, but it was reliably treated, unlike know.

« Reply #96 on: 22 July, 2009, 05:38:54 pm »
The electrics (if relatively recent) in France tend to be better than in the UK. I know some guys who follow French wiring rules when doing computer rooms etc as there is more protection for individual circuits than in the UK. The plugs are still crap though. French wiring with UK plugs (still the best in the world) and sockets would be great.

« Reply #97 on: 24 July, 2009, 06:18:12 pm »

I always have unless there is a sign telling you not too. Its perfectly safe although Nutty will probably tell you different :)

Nope, I'm quite happy to drink the water.   The only dodgy tummy I had was when I ordered a salad and it arrived drowned in oil.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #98 on: 28 July, 2009, 07:43:42 pm »
Just got back from trip to Brittany and want to add a couple of things to this thread...

First, my already high opinion of crossing via Le Tunnel has only been heightened. Since the last time I went over, they have introduced automatic check-in - you just drive up to the barrier, they scan your numberplate and a message comes up on the screen, viz "Hello Mr Smutchin!" (or words to that effect) while your boarding pass is spat out of a slot.

Furthermore, if you turn up early and there are spaces on the earlier trains, a choice of trains comes up on the touch screen - you just tap the one you want to travel on. So today we rolled up two hours ahead of our allotted slot and as there was a train just about to start boarding with spaces on, we drove straight through and onto our train with just a few minutes of waiting. Could not be easier.

Petrol is bloomin' expensive in France at the moment though.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #99 on: 29 July, 2009, 01:38:32 pm »
I never found a fountain marked "non potabile"

... that would be very near the Italian border I guess ; -)

As a fairly recent development in France, over the last few years, the great majority of fountains are now marked 'Non Potable' (not drinkable) or sometimes 'Non Conseillee' (not recommended) but AFAIK that doesn't mean the water has suddenly become less safe, its just the risk-averse society kicking in.   
Go to the nearby restaurant and the unmarked pitchers of water may have been filled at that fountain, who knows.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll