Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144791 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #200 on: 06 July, 2020, 06:35:50 am »
Over to you Beardy: I have completed my 11k this morning.  Feeling tired and happy.

Lovely morning for it too.  👍

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #201 on: 06 July, 2020, 09:05:30 am »
Morning PB
I ‘only’ managed 8.2k (9.1 if you count the warm up and warm down).   :smug:

This represents the farthest I’ve ever run none stop ever in my life ever. And I managed a new 5k PB into the bargain. 35:50 is another minute off my last

That I’m home, showered and dress before 9am Is also something of a rarity these days.

Mindewe I did have an anxiety attack and needed the love and care of Dr B to actually get me out of bed.  It I planned the run, had informed Sarah of my plan, prepared everything last night. And then got up and went and smashed it.

Whoop. And what is more. Whoop.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #202 on: 06 July, 2020, 10:30:52 am »
Congratulations!!

« Reply #203 on: 06 July, 2020, 11:23:05 am »
That is great, Beardy.

Next stop, a half-marathon!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #204 on: 06 July, 2020, 12:11:13 pm »
Ah, superb Beardy.  Nice one.  👍

I went through 9k twenty seconds before the hour and stumbled on for another 2k nice and slowly.  My objective just now is to stretch the running time and distance and that's what I managed.

You seem to be in that phase where improvement is coming thick and fast.  Enjoy it because it feels awesome but be prepared for when you have a slower session and don't be disappointed.

A run is a run.

« Reply #205 on: 06 July, 2020, 01:20:46 pm »
:) good work both of you!

« Reply #206 on: 06 July, 2020, 01:59:48 pm »
Much appreciated Mike.

« Reply #207 on: 09 July, 2020, 06:07:45 am »
Finally found a weather window and popped out for a steady six.  It's my kind of grey today making it easy on the eyes allowing me to relax a little.

Felt like hard work but the stats and the post run glow don't reflect this.   :thumbsup:

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #208 on: 10 July, 2020, 11:06:17 am »
After the epic start to the week, it went down hill. Doesn’t it always!

Wednesday’s interval session was missed due to me having to do other things in the car. That also precipitated an excess of eating.

Yesterday was horrid weather wise, and I just wasn’t up for it in any case. I can overcome the lassitude if it’s nice out and I can brave the weather if I’m up for,it, but the two together...

Just been out for a 30 minute run, but was feeling good, so ran the warm up and half the warm down to make it a gentle 5k. No new pb and just a base level effort from the ‘thief of joy’ (™ Polar B).

But a run none the less.   :smug:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #209 on: 10 July, 2020, 01:15:40 pm »
Worth the effort then  :thumbsup:

I'm due out at sparrowhawk tomorrrow for a 7k.   Looking forward to it.

I do a 1k walk for warm up and cool down as well as a series of stretches before I leave the house.  I feel that this combination is working well for me so I shall sicj with the programme.

I'm thinking of changing my runs from set distances from next week to Sbort, Medium and Long.  Each will be a set time and give me something different to focus on whilst I continue to stretch for that late October half marathon.

« Reply #210 on: 11 July, 2020, 07:13:59 am »
The sparrow farted, I rose from my pit and duly dragged my sorry carcass around for 7k.  The time wasn't startling but then it wasn't meant to be.  The scenery was cheered by a group of young women who looked like they'd been partying all night but were somehow sensible and sober.  They flitted from bench to bench and cherred every time I passed them.  An unexpectedly different and not unpleasant start to the day.

And now I am loafing on the sofa contemplating coffee and feeling all smug as I usually do after an early morning run.  😊

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #211 on: 11 July, 2020, 10:08:43 am »
An audience is something I’ve yet to experience and I must say something I’m not bothered to chase.

I’ve got commitments this weekend and am probably looking at Monday for my long run. I need to plan family visits more carefully in future.

Well done on joining the sparrows though, I do like dawn even if I’m reluctant to get out of bed.

« Reply #212 on: 13 July, 2020, 07:34:14 am »
Once again the sparrow farted and once again I dragged myself out of bed.   :o

I found that the 11k today felt a little easier than that of last Monday and now that I am at home sitting with coffee and relaxing I find that I completed it in exactly one minute less than last week.  The primary difference appears to be the last 2k but my pace was more consistent throughout.

I'm expecting a new pair of shoes in the post today.  They are Brooks Glycerin 17's, a step up supposedly from the Brooks Ghost 12's that I have here ready to break in now that I have put 500k onto my Brooks Ghost 11's.  I plan to alternate between the shoes and try to build up a picture of which one seems best by results over a few months.

Interestingly, although the Ghost's RRP is £20 less than the Glycerin's, I got both pairs of shoes discounted and both for the same price.  Time to see which works best for me. 

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #213 on: 13 July, 2020, 08:58:38 am »
That. Is. All.

« Reply #214 on: 13 July, 2020, 09:00:24 am »
 :thumbsup:  ;D

Congrats
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #215 on: 13 July, 2020, 11:21:48 am »
That. Is. All.

Excellent.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #216 on: 13 July, 2020, 11:28:32 am »
What is your next goal Beardy?  Are you looking to go further or faster?

I'm currently looking to stretch my long run every other week aiming at a half marathon (21.1k) at the end of October.

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5K
« Reply #217 on: 13 July, 2020, 11:36:27 am »
I want to consolidate on 10K, and get a little faster, before I move on. A half has got to be my next distance goal though. And as I’ve said previously, I want to get my cycle out again (this IS a cycling forum  :D) but feel I need to lose some more weight before I subject it’s suspension to my bulk.

On that last point, dieting and running are a daft combination of things. Having done an epic distance, and no matter what my watch claims (unproductive indeed!) I feel that I deserve a Wagon Wheel and could probably safely have one, but it’s probably the worst time to eat cabs and sugars because my body is probably busy conferring my fat into the calories it needs.

« Reply #218 on: 13 July, 2020, 02:30:42 pm »
Have to agree that the Garmin algorithms are bonkers.  I am productive again at the moment.

As regards weight loss:  I seem to lose for a few weeks then plateau for a few weeks.  The temptation to snack is huge and I'm trying to do the right thing with porridge for breakfast after my run etc. but my stomach keeps announcing that it wants filling.  Haven't found a solution to this problem yet.

Will you be doing a 10k every week then and if so, what target time do you have in mind?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #219 on: 13 July, 2020, 04:06:35 pm »
I’d like to think I’ll be able to maintain one 10K a week going forward. Ultimately I’d like to think I could do it,in an hour, but I don’t know how realistic that is. I’ll certainly be aiming to get a 30min 5k under my belt. Thinking about it that will be my next goal with the 10K being left to fend for itself.

Programme going forward will probably be intervals session, 5k, and 10K each week. Hopefully they’ll support each other with the 10K getting faster by osmosis.

« Reply #220 on: 13 July, 2020, 05:11:35 pm »
Definitely target a sub 30 5km first.  I managed it but the effort almost wiped me out for the rest of that week and the next.  Focusing back on my distance I find that I can do 9km just under the hour (30 seconds to spare today) but a sub 60 10km will be a while coming. 

I find that it helps to look back a couple of months or more when I feel that I have stopped making progress.  For instance, I will reach 12km in July (planned for next Monday in fact) and do my first 100km month if all goes to plan.  I have also promised myself that I'll have a tilt at my 5km PB in the last week of every month.  A fools errand perhaps...

« Reply #221 on: 13 July, 2020, 05:42:18 pm »
It won't be much of a help at the moment, but the first time I broke the 30 minute mark was my first parkrun. The fear of embarrassment did wonders!
More seriously, I did find that getting longer distances in and not worrying too much about the times for those helped with the 5k time.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #222 on: 13 July, 2020, 06:40:42 pm »
I think so too.  There was an element of "I know that I have the capacity because I can run for an hour" when I went and pushed harder for my sub 30 5k.  That psychology pushed me on.

« Reply #223 on: 15 July, 2020, 08:34:19 am »
Went out for my short /recovery midweek run this morning.  I realised whilst on my cool down walk back home that I now cruise easily around 6km in the time that I took to do my first 5km only a few months ago.

Now that's what I call progress!  😀   👍

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #224 on: 15 July, 2020, 08:55:51 am »
👍
It’s the progress that never ceases to amaze me, although my own efforts this morning have been a little more modest. A 30 minute interval session, although even i did manage to do nearly 4K even with that.
And the ToJ has upped It’s recognition of my efforts to ‘productive’.

These morning sessions are becoming somewhat of a habit as well. At this rate I’m going to have to go to bed earlier because Less than 6hrs sleep a night really isn’t enough.

ETA
I was curious as to why this mornings interval session was so short, and decided to have a look at what the coming sessions had in store. They’re all shorter than previously. It would seem that the programme is now tapering me in preparation for my ‘race’ in a couple of weeks so I’ve now got a decision to make.

Do I continue to follow the programme and taper down to ‘race day’ and then have a major effort?
Do I decide that I’ve reached my goal so abandon the programme and work out my own programme going forward?
Do I do as above but look for another programme/app to provide maintenance or take me to another goal?

Interesting times.