Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 143026 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #175 on: 26 June, 2020, 01:50:08 pm »
It motivates me to work on my weight, just think how much better I could do if I could lose 10% of my mass.

I reckon I'll drop my 5k time by 1/3 by losing ~30% of my mass.

That'll be 30 minutes to 20 minutes by going from ~100kg to ~70kg.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #176 on: 26 June, 2020, 03:54:46 pm »

I was dreading the analysis, but it turns out the reasons for me needing to walk was my pace was a bit higher than normal! I’ve just smashed my 5k Pb by 2 ½ minutes.

Well done. I think it's quite common to think you've been running crap only to find it was hard due to increased pace. I've definitely done it. When I had just reached the ability to do 10km I had one run where it felt hard the whole time. The very last bit had a railway bridge (pedestrian one, so steps up and over) within 1km of the finish. I thought I was going to die. I stumbled to the finish to discover a 10km PB by quite a lot.

« Reply #177 on: 26 June, 2020, 03:57:55 pm »
I purposely don't look at the my km splits when running and tend to have the watch just displaying HR.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #178 on: 26 June, 2020, 10:32:56 pm »
Ran at lunchtime today - warm and humid. A pair of Hoka Carbon Rockets arrived just before I set off, so I thought I’d take them for an easy jog to see if they fit properly. Bad plan - they egg you on, so I ran 4 1/2 miles at average 7:30 pace. Then I was sweaty for a long time.

Easy day tomorrow then.

« Reply #179 on: 29 June, 2020, 06:43:02 am »
I’ve just returned from an ‘easy run’. I had to slow to a walk twice, once just short of 30 minutes and finally after a further 5 minutes running.
I was dreading the analysis, but it turns out the reasons for me needing to walk was my pace was a bit higher than normal! I’ve just smashed my 5k Pb by 2 ½ minutes. Still a pedestrian 36:06 but very heartening all the same. It motivates me to work on my weight, just think how much better I could do if I could lose 10% of my mass.

Excellent progress then.

I have just returned from my planned attempt to go sub 30 for 5k.  I got a new PB of 29:42!!!

That was tough but worth it.  Very pleased with my progress.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #180 on: 29 June, 2020, 11:07:55 am »
I didn’t go out yesterday evening because the weather really went off, but no worries, I’d done three runs last week anyway. Just been out for my first of this week.

Not as fast as my last outing, but still a sub 38 5k. I had to drop to a walk at about the same spot as last time, though my turning point was earlier, so it’s something about that spot rather than the distance. I’ll just have to power through it next time.  :D

I also struggled to get going, but that seems to be a theme, although this morning it was harder than usual. I do a 5 minute warm up walk before I start running, but I think I’m going to try and work harder during that so there isn’t such a marked difference between the effort levels. That’ll probably have an impact on the rest of my run though, so it’ll be a case of 2 steps forward and one back. It’s not quite as straightforward as I’d thought it would be, this running malarkey.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #181 on: 29 June, 2020, 01:44:58 pm »
I don't know where you are on your journey but on 27th Febriary I did 4.99km in 37 minutes dead: four months later and I did a 5k in sub 30.   My PT reminded me to look back a few months to see the real progress in terms of distance and pace.  The other thing she did was to remind me that I needed a clear goal instead of some fuzzy maybe and possibly goals.  Hence my half marathon quest for the end of October is back on.

Having cracked that 5k target I am going for stretching the long run to see how close I can get to 21k before half marathon weekend.  Sorry folks but I am hoping for a cool and cloudy summer.  😃

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #182 on: 29 June, 2020, 03:03:06 pm »
This time last year I was exploring couch to 5k apps and wondering if I could manage it. I started ‘running’ in ‘adventure’ sandals an old tee shirt and a pair of cargo shorts, i was that confident of sticking at it! Running for one minute was a real challenge.

I had a bit of a hiatus over the winter months being a bit of a fair weather runner, but managed to keep up enough sessions to not lose all my gains.

I can now reliable complete a sub 40min 5k and can reasonable expect to run7.5k if I don’t try to be ‘fast’ and I’m working my way towards 10K with a garmin connect training plan. I’m hoping that when I can run a full 5k at my faster pace without having to drop to a walk I’ll see a sub 35 5k, although I don’t think I’ll be able to do that AND carry on to run 10K.

My ultimate goal is to run the local 10K course in an hour, but that’s probably going to be next year at least, when I’ve lost some more weight. The weight loss will be beneficial in many ways, so I’m really trying now.

Once I’ve lost a bit more weight I’ll get my recumbent out again and do a bit of cross training on that, not least because I can go further and see more.

Before the winter I want to get my erg machine set up, and possibly invest in a treadmill because I’m going to need to continue exercising if I’m not to lose this years gains.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #183 on: 29 June, 2020, 04:34:09 pm »
I started to try and get back to running in 2017 with a friend who wanted to run.  30 years ago I could run marathons but my serious running stopped in the mid nineties.

I must have tried and failed with C25K five or six times including at the back end of 2019 before I finally cracked it this time so if you do fall off the treadmill it's bu no means certain that you won't get back on it.

The very fact that you can do more than 5k is excellent.  Lots of people at parkrun walk a good part of the route.  Run walking has a name: it is called Jeffing after Jeff somebody or other.  Google Jeffing and you'll find it.

Perhaps in the distant post lockdown era we can meet up for a parkrun followed by coffee and cake somewhere. 

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #184 on: 29 June, 2020, 08:39:09 pm »
I started to try and get back to running in 2017 with a friend who wanted to run.  30 years ago I could run marathons but my serious running stopped in the mid nineties.

I must have tried and failed with C25K five or six times including at the back end of 2019 before I finally cracked it this time so if you do fall off the treadmill it's bu no means certain that you won't get back on it.

The very fact that you can do more than 5k is excellent.  Lots of people at parkrun walk a good part of the route.  Run walking has a name: it is called Jeffing after Jeff somebody or other.  Google Jeffing and you'll find it.

Perhaps in the distant post lockdown era we can meet up for a parkrun followed by coffee and cake somewhere.
THT sounds like a plan, although I’ve not run with anyone else yet, mainly because I don’t want to hold them up.

« Reply #185 on: 30 June, 2020, 07:54:39 am »
Always take a bit of company when offered.  It's good for both parties.  Running alone can be soul destroying at times.

Oh boy.  The DOMS is here today.  Pain is easier!!!   : ;D

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #186 on: 30 June, 2020, 09:52:49 am »
Always take a bit of company when offered.  It's good for both parties.  Running alone can be soul destroying at times.

Oh boy.  The DOMS is here today.  Pain is easier!!!   : ;D
Apart from a single shin splint and the occasional twitch in my calf muscles my limiting factor seems to be my lungs at the moment. When I push a bit too hard I just can’t breath; not in a gasping for air kind of way, just a lack of ability to breath. It’s most odd, and one of reasons why I want to get my erg machine out. Though that’s been set back again because we might be having our son to stay for a few days so I’m banned from putting ‘your jack’ in the spare room.

« Reply #187 on: 30 June, 2020, 12:56:47 pm »
I am lucky (reaches out to touch wooden table) in that shin splints and stitch aren't generally running ailments of mine.  I was having calf aches from time to time and the occasional knee grumble but these seem to have subsided sufficiently over the past month so as to no longer be an issue.

As for the lungs:  I am always gulping for more air. 

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #188 on: 01 July, 2020, 11:17:56 am »
It’s going to be another evening run for me today. I do wish I could find the tuits to get out early in the morning.

« Reply #189 on: 01 July, 2020, 11:36:49 am »
A run is a run whatever time of day you do it.

I got up at sparrowfart and did a relaxed 6km this morning party as recovery from the excessive effort that I put in on Monday.  Happy enough with that at a pace nearly 30 seconds per km slower than Monday.

I'm thinking of switching to time for the sessions from now for a while just to mix up the routine a bit.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #190 on: 01 July, 2020, 11:02:30 pm »
I’ve got a new widget from Wiggle today. A running dynamics pod. It provides lots of interesting data, though I’m none th wiser for looking at it.   ;D  But it’s a new gadget and it feeds my data perversion, so it’s all good.

Oh, and I e just returned from an intervals session in the rain. But as PB said earlier, a run in th evening is still a run

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #191 on: 03 July, 2020, 09:50:00 pm »
This mornings run was hard work, but I managed to keep going, labouring under the mistaken belief that if it was hard going it was going to be a good time.

It was slow, and my stupid watch then tells me it’s of limited benefit.

Still, I feel a little self righteous because I actually managed to keep going.

Rest day tomorrow and possibly Sunday

« Reply #192 on: 04 July, 2020, 07:04:42 pm »
You got up and went out. Good work.

I’ve had a disrupted week. Only ran last Sunday, Thursday and today - but managed 12.5 today and went a bit faster than usual for long run to pay back a bit.  It been to pub yet...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #193 on: 04 July, 2020, 07:25:47 pm »
No pub for me until there’s some evidence that they’re safe places to go.

I’m scheduled for a 60 minute run tomorrow, my longest to date. Because I only run three times a week it means that I have a two day rest and I’m tempted to take it today and tomorrow so,I run the longer on on Monday after a two day break. I will see how,I feel in the morning.

« Reply #194 on: 04 July, 2020, 08:13:15 pm »
No pub for me until there’s some evidence that they’re safe places to go.

I’m scheduled for a 60 minute run tomorrow, my longest to date. Because I only run three times a week it means that I have a two day rest and I’m tempted to take it today and tomorrow so,I run the longer on on Monday after a two day break. I will see how,I feel in the morning.

Likewise on the pub front - yet will likely extend into months or years!

« Reply #195 on: 05 July, 2020, 07:58:07 am »
I have no intention of going to the pub any time soon either.

Ah Beardy, the curse of the Garmin algorithms.   They niggled me too.  They are best ignored as they do not reflect real life.  My PT persuaded me to turn a few of those metrics off and my balance is restored.

My "thief of joy" tells me via a sneaky backdoor that I am now detraining.  Since I did my sub 30 5k I have eased off so only two runs last week and this week.  I feel rejuvenated.

Tomorrow I have an 11k planned and an 04:15 alarm set.  Nice, steady pace, just enjoy being able to run 11km non-stop.   4 days of rest should be enough!

Have you decided to leave your 1 hour run until tomorrow?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #196 on: 05 July, 2020, 09:10:42 am »
Morning PB.

Yes, I’ve decided that I’ll do my long run tomorrow. I’m trying to decide if I’ve chosen this option because I want to keep the peace with Dr B and spend the day with her, or whether I’m just using that as an excuse for being lazy  ::-)

« Reply #197 on: 05 July, 2020, 09:58:38 am »
How about tapering ready for your long run?  Far more productive in training and psychological terms methinks.   ;)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #198 on: 05 July, 2020, 12:07:20 pm »

How about tapering ready for your long run?  Far more productive in training and psychological terms methinks.   ;)
:thumbsup:

« Reply #199 on: 05 July, 2020, 05:30:55 pm »
10 miles this aft, through the wild and woolly weather. Averaged 8:31 moving pace, so quite pleased. Will need a day off running tomorrow!