Author Topic: Yr Elenydd - 13th April  (Read 26211 times)

Re: Yr Elenydd - 13th April
« Reply #125 on: 14 April, 2013, 02:06:12 pm »
Finished in the penultimate group - with around 40 minutes to spare,  although  I suspect that small margin was helped by the blessing of a strong tailwind on the return.

Thanks to John and the team for organising - it is a fantastic ride/walk.
It is easy to lose time on the hills,  but the controls are such an eclectic and excellent mix that it is quite easy to spend too much time sitting around here as well.

« Reply #126 on: 14 April, 2013, 03:01:34 pm »
Very pleased to get around and in at 22:45 despite my initial forgivings about my ability to complete, having doemn no more than 100k ridess this year  (aside note marcusjb thanks for encouraging words on another but not YACF site !!). Really enjoyed my return to Audax after 20 years break...only 2nd 300 in my life, other being Snow Roads.
Kept to plan of keeping steady and less time spent at controls; Elan Valley though was horrid, one of the most difficult crossings from Cwmystyth to Rhayader I`ve done in many years, normally a nice tail wind wafts you through.

Pretty tired at end 20km so just rolled along without trying to push on too much, and very glad of good set disc brakes on the top of descent off Thresholds ----and technology of a GPS to see when next corner was coming up.
Good friendly and helpful atmosphere to whole event, and good food stops too.

For those not liking muddy road at The Warden maybe an alternative route could be Slough Hill> Evenjobb> Kinnerton> New Radnor ??

....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #127 on: 14 April, 2013, 03:17:32 pm »
I enjoyed it in spite of challenging conditions. Must definitely add to the previous comments re. organisation - was absolutely superb.  Was good to enjoy all the cafe controls and still make it back just before the night drew in to enjoy the views from on the Long Mynd.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #128 on: 14 April, 2013, 03:18:45 pm »
Very pleased to get around and in at 22:45 despite my initial forgivings about my ability to complete, having doemn no more than 100k ridess this year  (aside note marcusjb thanks for encouraging words on another but not YACF site !!). Really enjoyed my return to Audax after 20 years break...only 2nd 300 in my life, other being Snow Roads.
Kept to plan of keeping steady and less time spent at controls; Elan Valley though was horrid, one of the most difficult crossings from Cwmystyth to Rhayader I`ve done in many years, normally a nice tail wind wafts you through.

Pretty tired at end 20km so just rolled along without trying to push on too much, and very glad of good set disc brakes on the top of descent off Thresholds ----and technology of a GPS to see when next corner was coming up.
Good friendly and helpful atmosphere to whole event, and good food stops too.

For those not liking muddy road at The Warden maybe an alternative route could be Slough Hill> Evenjobb> Kinnerton> New Radnor ??

Glad you made it, and in a very respectable time! Told you that you'd be fine.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

red marley

« Reply #129 on: 14 April, 2013, 03:37:49 pm »
Excellent stuff. Not sure I'd be capable of such a ride these days.

Did anyone see the Tregaron mountain toad?

« Reply #130 on: 14 April, 2013, 04:03:33 pm »
Absolutely - about 500 of them.  It helped keep me alert, watching that I didn't run over them.  I never realised that there were so many amphibians in Wales!

Martin

« Reply #131 on: 14 April, 2013, 04:05:07 pm »
I rode with Ann the only ever solo lady to complete the new route; started nice and almost effortless to Shobden; but the clouds were brooding and sure enough the rain arrived on cue at the top of the Staircase (almost an exact repeat of 2005 weatherwise) which nearly did for me but managed to stay clipped in (just!) and continued via a very soggy summit to Rhayader; it got a bit better after that; top marks to Wheelwrights the lady running the show was in her element and it was very efficient; excellent portions with lashings of bread  :thumbsup: but of course the real Thank You goes to UN and Mrs Dulates and their willing band of helpers  :) :) :thumbsup: fantastic organisation well beyond the call

finished 1.10 up on last year's time; must be doing something right

rode on and off with jcbike Pip man on Cinelli with buggered BB and Julian D

thank F not doing another ride like that in 2 weeks like last year (3D)

bad luck to Hackney Innit's Chris who toppled on the rollercoaster down to Tregaron  :(

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #132 on: 14 April, 2013, 04:18:40 pm »
I finished with tubbycyclist and three others at 19hrs 20mins (although GPS reckons 19hrs 12mins).

Quite possibly the hardest thing I've ever done, ever (but that's not difficult in a first season). Inappropriate gearing and inappropriate fitness didn't help!

I thoroughly enjoyed the views – I grew up in Wales, so felt like coming home :)  And the controls were rather good and seemed to get better as we got further, I think.

I made the mistake on the first section of trying to keep up with the sports riders – I seem to make a habit of this.  I bumped Shobden because of the queue to try to give myself time in hand at Builth for a full English – which I got, but then left at control-closing time. The climb up to the Staircase saw me bonk out – not good so early in the ride!!  The cake at the bottom was so very welcome, though!  :thumbsup:

I made a feeble attempt at the first ramp and got halfway before my legs gave out.  I rode half the second ramp as well.  And walked the rest with SimonP and Feline.  One of the riders had a cunning plan and I bumped into him as he exited the Forestry trails at the top of the Staircase having gone up through the forest at half the incline of the staircase  :thumbsup:  The rest of the climbs over to Tregaron were easy ... no, wait, that's a dream I had: they were bloody hard and I am ashamed to say that I walked nearly all of them  :facepalm:

When I got to Tregaron with little time in hand I thought I would DNF as I would get slower towards the end. But thanks to SimonP's words of experience in that the worst was over (although everything's relative) I got back on the bike with a renewed sense of determination, again leaving at control-close. 

On the next section, thanks to tubbycyclist for not encouraging me to ride the 1-in-6 up to Hafod (that would've killed me), so we walked it together.  The headwind through the Ystwyth and Elan valleys was unpleasant, but at least this should be on our backs for most of the way home after Rhayader (although it didn't work out quite like that in the end).  And to Blade for his words of encouragement all the way up the Elan valley.  We made the control at Rhayader with a bunch of time in hand – enough to consider stopping.

On leaving the control, I must've been lanterne rouge, because I left two minutes after closing and there were no other riders in the vicinity, yikes  :o  I had been told the tradition of Salvatore being last-man, and that if you're behind Salvatore then you're going to be out of time by the end, so I asked everyone I passed "are you Salvatore?" to which the response was "no, are you?"!! I don't believe he really exists, he's just a rumour to scare riders into speeding up ;D  I caught and passed quite a few other riders on the run out of Knighton, which was a complete surprise because I was absolutely caned at this point and every hill was a kick in the teeth (arse, actually) so I have no idea how that happened.  I rode in to Wheelwrights with a couple of others, but it was dark and raining so conversation was limited to "next left" rather than trading niceties – I will probably remember who when I have had enough sleep.

No longer lanterne rouge and with a bit of time in hand, I decided to eat while I could and was impressed with the organised methodology that meant I was served almost before I'd sat down!  Nice work and rather tasty too!  I left WW with others still eating with over half an hour in hand and span onto the back of the group who left before me (tubbycyclist et al, Revellinho also perhaps?  I recall mention of toads and ECE). And then we climbed to Shrewsbury (we all thought Shrewsbury was down from there, but apparently gravity doesn't work the same way in the Welsh Borders).  Every climb was another uurrggh, clank down through the gears, spin for as long as legs would allow, then stand up and grind for as long as legs would allow, rinse and repeat.  The final five miles seemed to drag, and I almost brought another cyclist down with a wobble as I was fighting to stay awake – sorry! – but I dropped to low-cadence, low-heart rate just to bring me home, as we had time to walk back if we'd had a mechanical at this point.

Back at the hall, it was time for some very welcome, tasty food, some of everything (different plates, although that would've been negotiable) to the accompaniment of gentle snoring in the background.  We were a bit worried that some of the other riders might've left it a bit late leaving WW, but they all rolled in within the limit AFAIK.

And that, as they say, was that:  my first Elenydd, my second 300, my first proper-hilly anything.  I think I might stick to a few flat-land rides to work out the pain, starting next weekend, avoiding any major hills.

Thanks to John and the team for a well-organised and (once the pain-memory recedes) enjoyable grand day out  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #133 on: 14 April, 2013, 05:55:05 pm »
I found that hard! I'm impressed by those who seemingly breeze along, particularly the guy on fixed (OTP?). Most enjoyable bit for me was when I took it a bit easier and rode with a chap called Alan from somewhere between Builth Wells and the foot of the devil incarnate. Grateful to Roy and co. who swept me up on the way to Wheelrights and also to Edwin and co. who I tagged along with from there to the finish. A jolly well organised event - thank you, John and your team(s)

I hope that Chris(?) isn't too badly injured and quickly recovers from his fall - he looked as if he was in indescribable great pain at the Tregaron control.

'Glad I'd purchased my first cycling waterproof a couple of days ago.

A handful of picture of people I don't even know, just to remind me of the event, and to show Mrs Lardy. I had great intentions of taking pics at all the controls, but I was in tatters for most the ride and could barely muster the will to live, never mind take photos.

Shobdon control

A couple OTP arriving Shobdon

A happy soul departing Shobdon

At the foot of the Devil's Staircase

« Reply #134 on: 14 April, 2013, 06:05:45 pm »
Wilkyboy - 'twas indeed myself and also Peter OTP who were in that finishing group, good to do the last couple of hours in a little bunch for moral support I always think.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #135 on: 14 April, 2013, 06:39:55 pm »
I packed at Builth Wells, I was only 40 minutes in hand there and knew I'd be grovelling after that.
Too fat, too unfit, simply not good enough.

The parts I did (to Builth and I re-joined at Pen Y Bont) were great and the controls and village hall were super. Just my sort of riding (love Welsh lanes). Well done to John and helpers for the organisation top notch.

Rode a little with JayP who is always good company and met Iddu at Shobdon. Saw a lady in a pink yacf top as I was leaving Shobdon and was going to introduce myself to Simon and Feline at a later control but it was not to be, I punctured a bit after that and they went past (so hello anyway to you both).

A further two punctures is karma for packing.

« Reply #136 on: 14 April, 2013, 06:54:01 pm »
Thanks to everyone who helped me after my fall. I was in too much pain and embarrassment to get names. And a special thanks to the rider who guided me to the control, as I would not have made that.
A lovely welsh man drove me 20km to Aberystwyth and helped me get my ticket. After a 2 hour train ride and a taxi I was back at the beginning. Gutted I didn't finish. But like Arnie; I'll be back!

« Reply #137 on: 14 April, 2013, 07:12:27 pm »
As a first timer on this can I just say "wow"  :thumbsup:

Many thanks to John and all helpers. Please pass praise to the supernaturally cheerful bowls ladies of Tregaron and the lady of the manor at Wheelwrights, ushering weary riders to the right choice of meal with her kindly schoolteacher demeanour  :-*

Bikey Mikey you are a very marvel of science, a few muesli bars and a milkshake! Yes I am younger, heavier, let out more hot air, and was expending a certain amount of life force riding fixed, but I ate so much I couldn't even list it all.

Rode with various folk at different times including Dan who was running a marathon today, hat off there. The weather wasn't as bad as I thought, and I rather enjoyed the Elan Valley in the driving rain, it made it seem even more "epic" and gave a little impetus to press on.

Playing "dodge the frog" (toad?) helped keep the mind focused on the final leg. Thousands of the little fellows there were. I have been reassured that they let out a blood-curdling death cry, I didn't hear this so karma intact hopefully.

red marley

« Reply #138 on: 14 April, 2013, 07:40:59 pm »
Playing "dodge the frog" (toad?) helped keep the mind focused on the final leg. Thousands of the little fellows there were. I have been reassured that they let out a blood-curdling death cry, I didn't hear this so karma intact hopefully.

For the avoidance of doubt, unless the little beasties were sheltering in a mature scarlet marker tower, these were probably common frogs rana dana. The Tregaron Mountain Toad is much rarer.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #139 on: 14 April, 2013, 07:51:57 pm »
Wilkyboy - 'twas indeed myself and also Peter OTP who were in that finishing group, good to do the last couple of hours in a little bunch for moral support I always think.

I agree and it was good riding with you!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #140 on: 14 April, 2013, 08:45:56 pm »
Rode with various folk at different times including Dan who was running a marathon today, hat off there.

That'd be Dan Howard. He did that last year too. Was he on fixed again like he was last year?

I remember him when he was a 15 year old riding the Kidderminster Killer in 1994.

« Reply #141 on: 14 April, 2013, 08:59:19 pm »
Thanks to everyone who helped me after my fall. I was in too much pain and embarrassment to get names. And a special thanks to the rider who guided me to the control, as I would not have made that.
A lovely welsh man drove me 20km to Aberystwyth and helped me get my ticket. After a 2 hour train ride and a taxi I was back at the beginning. Gutted I didn't finish. But like Arnie; I'll be back!

You looked in so much pain and discomfort that I wouldn't have been comfortable leaving you alone. I'd considered how best to give you a push up that last final gentle climb before the last descent into Tregaron, but thankfully you somehow managed yourself. I hope your injury does not keep you off the bike too long.

I was obviously in the mood for helping others yesterday. I restored a lamb to its mum that was stuck on the wrong side of the fence although after moving 11 frogs from the road to the hedgerows, I gave up on that cause, as I'd still be en route to Upton Magna this very minute.

« Reply #142 on: 14 April, 2013, 10:24:33 pm »
Rode with various folk at different times including Dan who was running a marathon today, hat off there.

That'd be Dan Howard. He did that last year too. Was he on fixed again like he was last year?

I remember him when he was a 15 year old riding the Kidderminster Killer in 1994.

Yes, he was saving his legs for the next day by riding only a mere 75".

« Reply #143 on: 14 April, 2013, 10:37:54 pm »
Just to reiterate all of the above, a good day out bouncing from group to solo and back, thanks to Martin and Ann for easing me through the last 40k, and of course mega thanks to the Undulates and their merry band :thumbsup:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/w7bEcYT/]

[/url]

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #144 on: 14 April, 2013, 11:20:35 pm »
One of the riders had a cunning plan and I bumped into him as he exited the Forestry trails at the top of the Staircase having gone up through the forest at half the incline of the staircase  :thumbsup:  The rest of the climbs over to Tregaron were easy ... no, wait, that's a dream I had: they were bloody hard and I am ashamed to say that I walked nearly all of them  :facepalm:

Indeed - there is a Larrington manoeuvre; take the trail forking right, and then just keep bearing left...nicely graded, and just a steady 7-8% drag all the way.

Wouldn't do it on a soot bike, but anything else should be fine.

There's no shame in 24" gear; I'm amazed at how well you did on that stead - serious respect :thumbsup:
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #145 on: 14 April, 2013, 11:45:13 pm »
Gosh, 2007 - no wonder I'd forgotten how much fun ;D this can be. Nice one, JH & team.

Thwap Thwap Thwap. Get's off. Finds nothing....
Continues the fun...(No, RZ, not that sort)

Cleans bike. Ah...
(click to show/hide)

At some points I was hitting 70Kp/h on that :facepalm:

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #146 on: 15 April, 2013, 07:14:13 am »
Indeed - there is a Larrington manoeuvre; take the trail forking right, and then just keep bearing left...nicely graded, and just a steady 7-8% drag all the way.
There's no shame in 24" gear; I'm amazed at how well you did on that stead - serious respect :thumbsup:

Thanks :)  'tis 34" at the bottom end, and I reckon I could've made it up there had I joined you (I did wonder where you were headed: I thought you might've been foraging for lunch ;D), although time-wise we took about the same it seemed, even though I walked much most of it?

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #147 on: 15 April, 2013, 07:52:34 am »
I was Lantern Rouge 8). Chris Wilby came up behind me, with his death-ray dynamo, as I was making my solitary plod through the weaving mists of Wentnor. I hadn't clocked him anywhere thro' the day and he hadn't been at any of the select FVFM gatherings at Rhayader or Little Brampton. Apparently he'd been having a kip somwhere. We decided to take the Thresholds option for easy navigation. We got in sight of the welcoming lights on Atcham Bridge and I asked Chris for a time check. He said 4:45! I sad try again and he said no 1:45. So 15 mins left. Just enough to pootle up the lane and get in with mins and secs left.
I packed at Builth Wells, I was only 40 minutes in hand there and knew I'd be grovelling after that.
Too fat, too unfit, simply not good enough.

The parts I did (to Builth and I re-joined at Pen Y Bont) were great and the controls and village hall were super. Just my sort of riding (love Welsh lanes). Well done to John and helpers for the organisation top notch.

Rode a little with JayP who is always good company and met Iddu at Shobdon. Saw a lady in a pink yacf top as I was leaving Shobdon and was going to introduce myself to Simon and Feline at a later control but it was not to be, I punctured a bit after that and they went past (so hello anyway to you both).

A further two punctures is karma for packing.

Sorry to hear that Tail End. I saw you riding into Builth. I was in the petrol station on the Left. You had two more punctures!?

« Reply #148 on: 15 April, 2013, 09:22:40 am »

Are you back on two legs again? You were wondering whether it might be a tad more than bruising at the HQ.

Some years ago on the old Elenith,  there was a spectacularly nasty accident on the same descent.  I believe the individual concerned was ambulanced off to the nearest hospital.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #149 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:17:53 am »
Chris Wilby came up behind me, with his death-ray dynamo, as I was making my solitary plod through the weaving mists of Wentnor. I hadn't clocked him anywhere thro' the day and he hadn't been at any of the select FVFM gatherings at Rhayader or Little Brampton. Apparently he'd been having a kip somwhere.

Making like a sleeping beauty on a wall in Wentnor, just before "L after church"; won't do his lumbago any good :)