Author Topic: 2 weeks in Northwest France  (Read 3924 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: 2 weeks in Northwest France
« Reply #25 on: 17 April, 2024, 12:37:57 pm »
I have a map of the canals and canalised rivers of France (and surrounding bits).  It's amazing how far you can get following them in France - they're far more extensive and connected than in the UK.  I fully intend to try and cycle/walk them all (once I retire).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 05:10:18 pm »
Hello team,

Finally getting back to looking at our summer tour. Definitely the latest I've ever booked it! For ease of train travel in the UK, I'm wondering about:

Train Cambridge-Brighton. Cycle/train Newhaven. Ferry Newhaven-Dieppe. Train Dieppe-Rouen. Cycle along La Seine to Le Havre. Cycle La Velomaritime to Dunkirk. Ferry Dunkirk-Dover. Train Dover-St Pancras, King's Cross-Cambridge.

I think that the Dieppe-Rouen train is fine for our bikes (bahn.de certainly seem to think so). Bahn.de says it'd be a TER train. There are five of us, obviously we'd avoid rush hour etc. I've looked at all the train websites, seems okay, but we've never tried to take trains in France so I am a bit nervous! Can anyone confirm that we'll be okay to rock up with our bikes?

« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 05:27:11 pm »
Hello sparklyfish

There should be no problems and I'll be doing similar with a group I'm involved with:
https://www.sncf-voyageurs.com/en/travel-with-us/train-and-bike/bike-on-board/

« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 05:33:15 pm »

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 05:44:52 pm »
Hello team,

Finally getting back to looking at our summer tour. Definitely the latest I've ever booked it! For ease of train travel in the UK, I'm wondering about:

Train Cambridge-Brighton. Cycle/train Newhaven. Ferry Newhaven-Dieppe. Train Dieppe-Rouen. Cycle along La Seine to Le Havre. Cycle La Velomaritime to Dunkirk. Ferry Dunkirk-Dover. Train Dover-St Pancras, King's Cross-Cambridge.

I think that the Dieppe-Rouen train is fine for our bikes (bahn.de certainly seem to think so). Bahn.de says it'd be a TER train. There are five of us, obviously we'd avoid rush hour etc. I've looked at all the train websites, seems okay, but we've never tried to take trains in France so I am a bit nervous! Can anyone confirm that we'll be okay to rock up with our bikes?

You'll enjoy the le Havre - Dunkirk ride.  We did it in 2017, although only as far as Calais and crossed through the tunnel on the Eurotunnel Bike Service.    This year we're going to Dover by train - cross to Calais - train to Paris then the Seine a Velo to Honfleur and then on to Caen for the ferry to Portsmouth and train via London home.

I've checked the bikes on TER trains question and have an email from them to say that it's fine - that's for 7 of us - to just get on the train (we have 2 trains - Calais-Amiens, Amiens- Paris)

When are you going ? - we'll be in Rouen overnight on 16 June.

« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 05:59:12 pm »
Thanks both, that was the exact reassurance I needed.  :thumbsup:

This is July-August, got to get back in time for A-level results day this year...  We haven't yet toured in France (mainly done Netherlands and Belgium, with some bits of Germany and Luxembourg). Should be good!

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 06:46:46 pm »
Cycle along La Seine to Le Havre.

I did this a couple of months ago. There are a lot of meanders in the river and the cycle route crosses by ferry (Bac) between each bank (very good service and free) make sure they are all running and plan accordingly. Also they stop for Dejeuner which could mean anything in France!

As you get nearer Le Havre the riverside route disappears as they have built an industrial wasteland on both sides and you'll need to divert onto quiet roads.

Don't trust OSM! the suggested route up to the Hotel F1 in Gonfreville is not a cyclepath, it's barely a footpath

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #32 on: Today at 07:28:21 am »
Cycle along La Seine to Le Havre.

I did this a couple of months ago. There are a lot of meanders in the river and the cycle route crosses by ferry (Bac) between each bank (very good service and free) make sure they are all running and plan accordingly. Also they stop for Dejeuner which could mean anything in France!

As you get nearer Le Havre the riverside route disappears as they have built an industrial wasteland on both sides and you'll need to divert onto quiet roads.

Don't trust OSM! the suggested route up to the Hotel F1 in Gonfreville is not a cyclepath, it's barely a footpath

Thanks - we're taking the southern bank route so no issues with le Havre.

« Reply #33 on: Today at 03:40:53 pm »
Eek, I was assuming taking the north bank was the thing to do for Rouen to Le Havre. Thanks for the tip off GdS! I was investigating doing it in two days so needing accommodation for that stretch...