Author Topic: Silly signs  (Read 339914 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Silly signs
« Reply #1150 on: 13 February, 2016, 08:28:21 pm »
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1151 on: 15 February, 2016, 03:10:13 am »

Internet rumour would have it that these signs, which were for sale on Amazon and can which can be found in many places, are in fact a typo, and the year should be 1752.
The intended joke being that nothing happened anywhere on June 5th 1752, as that was one of the 11 days that never existed. The day after 2nd Sept was the 14th, due to the change from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar

« Reply #1152 on: 27 February, 2016, 08:32:38 pm »
Rummaging through old photos I found this shop interior, taken in Mestia, Georgia

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1153 on: 07 March, 2016, 11:32:54 am »
Made more sensible by the additions:

P1190044e by TJ Clarion, on Flickr
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1154 on: 07 March, 2016, 01:38:58 pm »
P6150038e by TJ Clarion, on Flickr
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1155 on: 07 March, 2016, 06:10:51 pm »
P6160081e by TJ Clarion, on Flickr
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #1156 on: 13 March, 2016, 09:19:09 pm »
Seen in that there Swindon yesterday-

I think he/ she had the arse cos they were walking as opposed to riding the bike that signified the cycle path ;D

« Reply #1157 on: 14 March, 2016, 09:34:46 pm »
Translation fail. Kinda ironic considering who they're supposed to be there for. Daimler Sovereigns usually get the same treatment too.

They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #1158 on: 20 March, 2016, 05:32:15 pm »
Consider a passenger arriving at Bristol Airport from Spain, with nothing to declare. Which lane should they use? (These are the only options, apart from a separate 'Items to declare' area)

Is this an example of the quantum passenger dual slit experiment, passing simultaneously through both?
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1159 on: 20 March, 2016, 05:41:22 pm »
I assume the EU one...

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #1160 on: 20 March, 2016, 06:03:43 pm »
I assume the EU one...

On further reflection, I think you're right. I must be easily confused  :-[
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

« Reply #1161 on: 20 March, 2016, 06:18:44 pm »
Consider a passenger arriving at Bristol Airport from Spain, with nothing to declare. Which lane should they use? (These are the only options, apart from a separate 'Items to declare' area)

Is this an example of the quantum passenger dual slit experiment, passing simultaneously through both?

Same at Glasgow, IIRC. It confuses me too. :-\

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1162 on: 20 March, 2016, 06:32:42 pm »
I wouldn't have a clue how to interpret that signage.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #1163 on: 20 March, 2016, 09:34:21 pm »
Well, what about someone arriving from outside the EU with something to declare ?
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1164 on: 20 March, 2016, 09:35:55 pm »
Well, what about someone arriving from outside the EU with something to declare ?

They go to the "Items to declare" area, obviously.

People from the EU never have to declare things (I think?).  Whoever made the signs assumes they know that.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1165 on: 20 March, 2016, 09:41:58 pm »
I go through which ever one is least crowded
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1166 on: 20 March, 2016, 09:46:52 pm »
People from the EU never have to declare things (I think?). 

No, you've got to declare, inter alia, currency over, IIRC, £10k (might be €10k), and anything that isn't a 'personal import' - so goods for resale, probably commercial samples, that kind of thing. (Steph would know, I guess.)

Is probably the right answer.

I don't know if you canmay go through the blue channel just because you've travelled from an EU country, or if you also have to be an EU citizen/resident.

« Reply #1167 on: 20 March, 2016, 09:47:48 pm »

They go to the "Items to declare" area, obviously.

People from the EU never have to declare things (I think?).  Whoever made the signs assumes they know that.
Ooo. I missed ('cos it wasn't in the photo) that there was an 'items to declare' area.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1168 on: 24 March, 2016, 03:09:55 pm »
IIRC the Eu and Nothing to Declare lines both lead into the same area after the entrance "gates" anyway, at least at Lulsgate Bristol Metropolitan Conurbation International Air Field.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1169 on: 03 April, 2016, 10:38:42 am »
This might seem like a silly sign, taken in a UK office 

but you have to remember that if you contract with Tech Mahindra, say, you really need to add budget for lavatorial repairs.

« Reply #1170 on: 04 April, 2016, 08:12:09 am »
There are signs in the lavatories at my current client - professional office, mostly graduates -

"Respect your colleagues and housekeeping staff: do not leave the contents of your nose on the wall"
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1171 on: 04 April, 2016, 09:41:23 am »
There are signs in the lavatories at my current client - professional office, mostly graduates -

"Respect your colleagues and housekeeping staff: do not leave the contents of your nose on the wall"

Is that was that is?

It just gets painted over, doesn't it?
Milk please, no sugar.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1172 on: 04 April, 2016, 10:00:15 am »
People from the EU never have to declare things (I think?). 

No, you've got to declare, inter alia, currency over, IIRC, £10k (might be €10k), and anything that isn't a 'personal import' - so goods for resale, probably commercial samples, that kind of thing. (Steph would know, I guess.)

Is probably the right answer.

I don't know if you canmay go through the blue channel just because you've travelled from an EU country, or if you also have to be an EU citizen/resident.

All wrong. Kim was closest

People arriving from the EU do not have to make a declaration, full stop, because that is the law. It is a Customs control, not a passport control. Nationality and residency are irrelevant. Commercial goods are dealt with through the VAT system, and you do NOT have to declare currency. That (and it's Euros10k) only applies to people leaving or entering the EU at an external frontier. Fly into Bristol from Spain, no declaration. Fly into Bristol from Brazil, declaration. Fly into Bristol from Brazil having transited Spain and not 'landed' (cleared Customs), declaration. The same outwards.

As for prohibited or restricted goods (weapons, drugs etc) the offence is committed as soon as the item enters UK airspace/territorial waters, so there is no question of declaration.

Simple rule: you can only use the Blue if you have arrived from an EU country. You do not HAVE to use the Blue if the Green is easier or less crowded. There are, of course, massive posters explaining all that all over the baggage reclaim area. In pictures for the hard of thinking.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #1173 on: 25 April, 2016, 08:24:59 am »
Great fun for all amateurs of silly/sensible signs here:

http://panneauxdumonde.toile-libre.org/Site/Worldsigns_-_Panneaux_du_monde.html

RibbleRouser

« Reply #1174 on: 25 April, 2016, 09:36:38 pm »