Author Topic: Turbo trainer  (Read 13106 times)

Re: Turbo trainer
« Reply #25 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:02:47 pm »
I have experienced the effects of DEPO, looked a flyby on Strava after an Audax. One persons garmin arrived at a control before us  and they turned up as we were leaving. 😂 Excuse was bad time stamps, you begin to wonder what else. 🤔

« Reply #26 on: 26 March, 2020, 01:38:08 pm »
I have experienced the effects of DEPO, looked a flyby on Strava after an Audax. One persons garmin arrived at a control before us  and they turned up as we were leaving. 😂 Excuse was bad time stamps, you begin to wonder what else. 🤔

Well, that's not how the original Digital EPO used to work (see other thread for more info), but anyone can mess around with the files that GPSes spit out.

Anyway, back to Turbos. I got given a very basic trainer for my downstairs neighbour (he runs a removals company and gets given tonnes of junk to dispose of). I can't set it up easily in a 1st floor flat (I did get a trainer mat) and especially not now we're all holed up here - there's enough cabin fever already.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #27 on: 26 March, 2020, 02:50:08 pm »
I've got a basic one that a clubmate gave me some years back. It was really for a Scout activity - we had them "racing" on static bikes. I tried it the other day, and it's so noisy that I don't dare use it even in the back garden! Also it's a fan-resistance model so it doesn't really give much resistance. I think my ideas of trying Zwift may have to go on hold. Luckily my wife has a very old, traditional, but fairly decent exercise bike, made before anyone had ever heard of connecting the things to anything. It does a few programmes, but the controller runs on a couple of D cells if I remember correctly.

« Reply #28 on: 27 March, 2020, 01:28:46 pm »
Finally managed to track down a Kickr.  Rare as hen's teeth at the moment so very pleased.

I've never used a trainer of any kind so this is going to be a novel experience.  I'll be using it in the back yard while the weather stays dry so no 3rd party apps or screens - I'll rely on HR and wattage info to judge efforts.

Any suggestions for getting going?
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #29 on: 27 March, 2020, 01:42:57 pm »
What do you want to do on it?  Just ride along? Some form of structure for each ride? A structured plan?

Assuming you have a modern smartphone, you can use that to control the turbo. Zwift probably wouldn't be much fun, but the OEM app would probably work, and stuff like Trainer Road is happy on a phone screen too. An elastic band over the Garmin mount will hold it in place (maybe a zip tie around the stem for extra support). If you want to give TR a go (either choosing a workout as as you want, or building a plan), PM your email and I'll send you a months free trial.

« Reply #30 on: 27 March, 2020, 02:47:13 pm »
Thanks Duncan! PM sent.

I'll probably be doing intervals, trying to replicate what I've been doing in the gym, so 1-hour above/below FTP.

Never thought about using phone as a screen.  I've also got a tablet so could maybe rig that up on a stand of some kind.

« Reply #31 on: 27 March, 2020, 02:57:23 pm »
If you have a music stand then a tablet would go on one of them nicely.  You should get an email with your referral link from TR today.

« Reply #32 on: 27 March, 2020, 03:01:54 pm »
Thanks Duncan!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #33 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:20:14 pm »
Is there anywhere that's good for feeding in some requirements and seeing what's available? Product descriptions aren't always clear. For example, I don't think I can justify the cost of wheel-off, I'd quite like to let Zwift or similar control the trainer, and I'd really like to use my old 5/6 speed road bike = narrow drop-outs.

Not that anything's available at present anyway, of course...

Phil W

« Reply #34 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:48:33 pm »
Is there anywhere that's good for feeding in some requirements and seeing what's available? Product descriptions aren't always clear. For example, I don't think I can justify the cost of wheel-off, I'd quite like to let Zwift or similar control the trainer, and I'd really like to use my old 5/6 speed road bike = narrow drop-outs.

You want a smart trainer that supports ANT+ FE-C, Bluetooth Smart open. If it supports those it’ll work with any smart trainer app including Zwift.

« Reply #35 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:49:37 pm »

This is the definitive guide: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/10/the-smart-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter-2019-2020.html
He has lots of reviews if you see something available that isn't listed.

« Reply #36 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:52:32 pm »
I'd quite like to let Zwift or similar control the trainer

If it says "smart" and "Zwift compatible" it's a start. Beware there are models that say both these things *don't* allow electronic control of resistance - it just means they have a speed sensor or something. You really need to read the reviews/specs very carefully to know which is which. If it's got a manual control lever on a cable that's a bad sign.

and I'd really like to use my old 5/6 speed road bike = narrow drop-outs.

For a wheel-on you'd just insert a spacer between the supplied QR and the frame, or maybe not even that. If it's not QR you need special nuts to interface with the trainer.

« Reply #37 on: 27 March, 2020, 08:02:20 pm »
You really need to read the reviews/specs very carefully to know which is which. If it's got a manual control lever on a cable that's a bad sign.
That's my impression - and the reviews, not the manufacturers' specs, because they sometimes obfuscate it on purpose. Thanks for the lever tip.

For a wheel-on you'd just insert a spacer between the supplied QR and the frame, or maybe not even that. If it's not QR you need special nuts to interface with the trainer.
Oh it's a good bike, but older. I raced on it for a fair few years. So QR absolutely. The spacer tip is good, thanks.

« Reply #38 on: 28 March, 2020, 06:47:52 am »
It’s a bit academic at the moment. You can’t buy a turbo for love nor money, all sold out.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Chris N

« Reply #39 on: 28 March, 2020, 07:13:47 am »
There's one for sale here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=114163
Bargain.

« Reply #40 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:33:20 am »
It’s a bit academic at the moment. You can’t buy a turbo for love nor money, all sold out.
It's true, but all this has sparked my interest. As above, I have a plan B for now, so I'm prepared to take a slightly longer view and wait for something suitable to be available. We don't know how long this will last, and models will come back into stock eventually. There may even be offers if the market has now been saturated. Not to mention a flood of little-used ones on eBay!

« Reply #41 on: 28 March, 2020, 01:33:03 pm »
Hi, I do audax and now things have changed....I need to support the NHS of course, and feel like I am liking in a very cosy cage!
Anyhow I started doing Training Peaks sessions with a Yahoo Elemnt Bolt on a WattBike at a local gym two months ago as the weather was so bad, however the gym has closed now.
So what sort of turbo trainer do I need at home to use the Elemnt Bolt to do Training Peaks sessions?
I have access to an Elite Turbo Muin Smart B+ turbo trainer which has been in a box for 2 years and never used, but will this work with the Elemnt Bolt?
If not what do I need?
Thank you

Phil W

« Reply #42 on: 29 March, 2020, 10:51:31 am »

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #43 on: 30 March, 2020, 10:58:32 am »
A very basic Tacx Bluematic of the type I paid £25 for in 2017, unused, is now £289 on the Bay of Thieves.  Spivs, eh?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #44 on: 30 March, 2020, 11:37:05 am »
That's daft.

At her request, I tried to set up my daughters 24" wheel bike on my old Tacx Booster. The latest one can accommodate 24" wheels, but mine must be a bit older - it only goes down to 26". :( She's not so enthusiastic about riding the rollers (fair enough, they are a bit scary) - any suggestion of how I can provide some resistance with the wheel hanging in space?

Phil W

« Reply #45 on: 30 March, 2020, 11:45:05 am »
Might sound daft but would a 26” wheel fit in her frame ? Not ideal on road but might work on turbo if frame has clearances. Then raise front wheel a bit with a stable block of wood. Remember the rear brake wouldn’t be used and wouldn’t need to be fitted for turbo use.

Otherwise playing cards taped to every spoke on her rear wheel?

« Reply #46 on: 30 March, 2020, 11:49:00 am »
Worth sticking a stock alert on Wiggle if you're after something.  That's what I did last week and I got an email on Friday saying they had a Wahoo Kickr - being delivered this afternoon!

« Reply #47 on: 30 March, 2020, 05:54:27 pm »
XL Elite trainer mat arrived 😁. Some of the newer turbo trainers have wider legs, old mat was 10cm narrower than the support legs. 😩 So best to check dimensions of the turbo.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 30 March, 2020, 06:00:00 pm »
That's daft.

At her request, I tried to set up my daughters 24" wheel bike on my old Tacx Booster. The latest one can accommodate 24" wheels, but mine must be a bit older - it only goes down to 26". :( She's not so enthusiastic about riding the rollers (fair enough, they are a bit scary) - any suggestion of how I can provide some resistance with the wheel hanging in space?

Molish a stand-off to support the resistance unit closer to the wheel.  Here's a not very good photo:

Ingredients:  A couple of bits of MDF (sheet metal would be better), 1 long bolt to go all the way through the resistance unit, a couple of woodscrews each side (nuts and bolts if using metal).

That I've never got round to making a decent version out of the 3mm aluminium I've got kicking about is a testament to our infrequent turbo use.

« Reply #49 on: 30 March, 2020, 10:11:20 pm »
I have some 1.6mm zintec sheet kicking around, but the way the brake unit attaches isn't as simple as in your example. I'll have to see how the pivot point is attached. It looks like this: