Author Topic: Spacers with 10sp cassette  (Read 1513 times)

Spacers with 10sp cassette
« on: 25 March, 2021, 03:53:07 pm »
Can anyone confirm which spacers I need for a 10 speed cassette (Tiagra HG500 11-34) on a RS100 10/11 sp shimano wheel. 

I think it's 1+1.85mm, so the 1.85mm spacer [Y4T724000] which comes with the wheel, and an extra 1mm [11E0300].  However I not sure that this cassette came with a spacer or not, and it has 3 'studs proud on the back of the large sprocket.   

Anyway I assembled with the 1.85mm spacer on first, then 1mm, then cassette, and the lockring didn't connect the threads.  So I reversed the order of the spacers, thinking the 1mm spacer didn't go over the cassette studs, and this time the lockring engaged.

Sound correct?

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Spacers with 10sp cassette
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2021, 04:10:39 pm »
I had to make an emergency purchase of a 10-spd cassette the day before PBP, so I went with what the LBS had.
It was a Tiagra-level one, and it did NOT come with a 1mm spacer, unlike the Ultegra level ones I have previously used.
This confused me, and I used a spare 1mm spacer, which turned out to be the Wrong Thing To Do, exactly as you did.

It also had rivet-heads as you describe.
Where the Ultegra has the 3 largest sprockets mounted on a spider, the Tiagra one had *most* of the sprockets riveted together into a single unit.
It went onto a Mavic freehub, using only the mavic-supplied spacer, which has cut-outs on it which seemed to accommodate the rivet-heads.
(The 1.85 is to fit 8/9/10spd onto 11 spd freehub body, IIRC)

The lockring thread engagement seemed normal, and the indexing did not need tweeking.

I didn't have time to research further!
It was good enough.

So to answer your question, I suspect you don't need the 1mm spacer with that cassette, unlike most other 10-spd cassettes.

« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2021, 04:47:00 pm »
Thanks.  What I suppose I don't get is that the 1.85mm spacer has 3 indents to accomodate the three studs (I think!), so that means that the cassette stud depth doesn't seem enter the equation.

On wiggle HG500 cassette page just seen that they have "Compatible with Shimano-type 9-11 speed freehubs (1.85mm spacer will be required for use on 11-speed freehubs - sold separately)".  This seems to also suggest the 1mm spacer is not required.

So is the usual 1+1.85mm spacers advice e.g. below on a website, no longer valid?  Perhaps not all hubs come with 1.85mm spacers which have 'stud' indents?

SHIMANO 10 CASSETTE
You'll need to fit the 1.85mm spacer which was included with your hub, PLUS the 1.0mm spacer which was included with your cassette.

Currently have both the 1+1.85mm on, and given the lockring tightened up - any problems to leave 1mm space on?

Feanor

« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2021, 04:53:34 pm »
I think that advice is correct for the most 10-spd cassettes *which come supplied with the 1mm spacer*.
That *particular* cassette I think does not come with one, because it's not required, but you do need to 'accommodate' those rivet heads, it seems.

Anyways, if you got sufficient thread engagement with it in place ( a few turns ) and you've got the indexing set up for the position of the cassette as it is, then I'd probably leave it alone.

You can always experiment next time you take the thing off.
See if the lockring tightens down properly without the 1mm spacer.

BTW, I recently removed the freehub from a new bike, to find the lockring only engaged by about 1/4 turn!
There were 2 x 1.85 spacers installed, by accident I suspect.

« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2021, 05:08:24 pm »
Cheers.  I removed the 1mm spacer, so just have the 1.85mm.

ETA the small sprocket looks in a better position away from the dropout too.

« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2021, 09:45:08 pm »
I think it’s a variable. You always need the 1.85mm spacer to put a 10 speed cassette on an 11 speed hub. Some 10 speed cassettes need a 1mm spacer to fit on a 10 speed hub, but some don’t... if it need the 1mm spacer then you still need it as well the 1.85mm to fit to an 11 speed hub, but if it doesn’t need it then you still don’t need it!!

Are we confused yet?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #6 on: 25 March, 2021, 10:34:49 pm »
Part No. 11E0300 which is 1mm thick is just a sprocket spacer designed to fit between the sprockets on a HG cassette - it's not a cassette spacer such as the 1.85mm one needed to go on the freehub first before the cassette.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Feanor

« Reply #7 on: 25 March, 2021, 10:46:54 pm »
Part No. 11E0300 which is 1mm thick is just a sprocket spacer designed to fit between the sprockets on a HG cassette - it's not a cassette spacer such as the 1.85mm one needed to go on the freehub first before the cassette.

Yes, the 1mm spacer for 10-spd cassettes on a 9/10 freehub is, I think, p/n Y1Z807000
(Not that I've ever bought one... they come with the cassettes which need them, and when I replace cassettes, I keep potentially useful un-worn bits like lockrings and spacers in a bag-o-such-stuff.)

Feanor

« Reply #8 on: 26 March, 2021, 10:47:08 am »
What I suppose I don't get is that the 1.85mm spacer has 3 indents to accomodate the three studs (I think!), so that means that the cassette stud depth doesn't seem enter the equation.

I've just inspected some freehubs to satisfy myself on this point.

Yes, the rivet-heads on the cheaper 10-spd cassettes which don't need a 1mm spacer are *not* part of the space-out when used on either a 10 or 11 speed freehub.

They are accommodated in either gaps in the 1.85 spacer for Shimano 11-spd freehubs ( 1.75 spacer for Mavic hubs ),
or by the design of the freehub shoulder on the 9/10-spd freehubs.

On my 9/10 spd hubs, the cassette landing shoulder is not continuous around the circumference.
The shoulder only exists at the spline positions.
Between the splines there is a gap large enough to accommodate the rivet heads.

In both cases, the space-out is from the machined surface of the cassette, not the sticky-out rivets.