Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1297100 times)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #450 on: 13 February, 2009, 02:04:22 pm »
Gaind 1.5 lbs. Oh well.

« Reply #451 on: 18 February, 2009, 10:04:29 am »
Down 2kg from last week although it's almost certainly due to dehydration (well, more than normal) as I didn't drink much water when playing football last night and sweated like 10 sweating things.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #452 on: 18 February, 2009, 10:40:14 am »
I have learnt that I may have hit my weight plateau.

89Kg for 3 weeks running.

AQ, it doesn't actually when you weigh yourself, as long as you weigh yourself at the same time every time (I weigh myself when I get back to the hotel each night)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #453 on: 18 February, 2009, 12:16:41 pm »
Well, I'm the same as last week, which can be regarded as progress in the circumstances.
Getting there...

The Bairn

« Reply #454 on: 18 February, 2009, 12:54:22 pm »
After a short period of forced inactivity due to injury I need some motivation, and what better than a public declaration.   Here goes -

17/02/2009 : 83 kg

The above is based on a wii fit measurement - interestingly my bathroom scales say 80kg but they are almost as old as I am and I'll reluctantly have to assume they are as incorrect as they are flattering.

Target would be to get down to 76kg which would bring respectability to BMI and power to weight ratio.     

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #455 on: 25 February, 2009, 09:01:56 am »
+ 0.5kg.  Ar5e!  >:(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #456 on: 25 February, 2009, 09:41:06 am »
+3 kg

WTH?  >:(

« Reply #457 on: 25 February, 2009, 09:50:32 am »
Down 2kg from last week although it's almost certainly due to dehydration (well, more than normal) as I didn't drink much water when playing football last night and sweated like 10 sweating things.

Yup. Back up to 82.5kg.

No problem as I look thinner so I must just be putting on muscle and losing the flab I picked up after 2 months of apathy in South America.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #458 on: 25 February, 2009, 10:55:34 am »
Yay!  Despite pancakes, I have managed to get down to 101.6kg this week! :D

That'll be what I was at the first weigh in. :(

Never mind - it's been going the right direction since I've been back on the bike :)
Getting there...

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #459 on: 25 February, 2009, 07:07:59 pm »
Stalled again - only 2lb down in feb - half my target.

Still -at least the trend is in the right direction.

inc

« Reply #460 on: 25 February, 2009, 07:50:10 pm »
Target reached,  gone from 82.2 kg on Jan 7th to 75.6 kg today or just over a stone in old money in 7 weeks. I am eating well so will not drastically increase my intake as the hills seem to be a bit easier although I have just eaten a pile of pancakes with Banana and maple syrup and looking forward to a nice bottle of red at the weekend.

« Reply #461 on: 25 February, 2009, 07:52:39 pm »
Cool, well done inc :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #462 on: 25 February, 2009, 07:59:49 pm »
Yes, that's good work.  Just maintaining it now... :)
Getting there...

« Reply #463 on: 25 February, 2009, 08:20:12 pm »
Put on a bit this week  :( but did spend the weekend in France  :)
I'll have to take the old diet a bit more seriously and do it every day - all day, hmm all day would help.

« Reply #464 on: 04 March, 2009, 06:35:41 am »
I am not dropping in weight but I am changing shape, for the better.

I did have a little hiccup on the weekend and yesterday evening, but I am not slipping back into old habits. 

Having a calorie counter on the bike doesn't help.  For example, I was burning 46 calories per mile at one stage last night.  My average I think was 40 calories per mile.

So when I went to the freezer last night I noticed that the ice cream was only 125 calories for a 75g servicing.  I had a bowel but forgot to weigh it.  So I had another - 75g worth.  That was therefore 250 calories put back in - or however many miles that is.

I am also on Total Whey now as my natural diet is too high in carbs and I don't get enough protein.  I can feel the difference already.  One of the ladies at work used to be into body building and she has given me a gem of an idea.

Freeze the prepared whey drink and then eat it.  It tastes great and is very much like ice cream.  So this way I can get my 'fix' but not break the rules  ;D  Whey hey  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #465 on: 04 March, 2009, 09:12:58 am »
...  I had a bowel but forgot to weigh it.  ...

There's your problem! ;D
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #466 on: 04 March, 2009, 09:17:54 am »
Another week of holding steady.  Which is quite remarkable, really, given that I had two cooked breakfasts in a whole weekend of 'bought' meals, during which we weren't out riding, and only did a very short walk.

But the commuting must be doing some good.  I've done about 150km of commute since the last weigh in, only missing friday.
Getting there...

« Reply #467 on: 04 March, 2009, 12:32:38 pm »
Having a calorie counter on the bike doesn't help.  For example, I was burning 46 calories per mile at one stage last night.  My average I think was 40 calories per mile.

Hmm, that looks a little high. Pros racing in Tours use about 850kcal and they're averaging about 30mph. Unless your computer measures power at the cranks (or wheel) then the calorie reading is just some estimated figure based on your speed1, HR2, or both3. I certainly wouldn't use those figures as a basis for adapting my calorie intake.

For me, pushing quite hard (but not sub-30 minute 10 mile TT hard) on a commute gets me about 500kcal/hour. Audaxing I'm looking at about 300-350kcal/hour (up to 400kcal/hour on a hilly ride).

1. Which is rubbish since it clocks up kcal slower when I'm graunching slowly up a steep hill or into a strong headwind. Downhill, or with a tailwind, and the calories zoom up. No it doesn't even out.

2. The HRM based kcal calculation is even worse for me. My HRM reads slightly less than double what I'd expect when cycling but does look reasonably accurate for running though.

3. My Forerunner 405 (GPS+HRM) is the worst of the lot despite it having the most information (including gradient). It claimed I expended 7659kcal on the Willy Warmer 200km Audax. That's 61kcal per mile or 820kcal per hour. Garbage figures.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #468 on: 04 March, 2009, 01:23:14 pm »
I've started to reach the weight level I normally plateau at,  82Kg

I don't see any reason why I shouldn't try for 78Kg as and end result, it's not unreasonable for my height.  But I always seem to get stuck at 82Kg.  So this time I am going to try something a little more extreme.  I am going to have slimfast for lunch instead of sandwiches.  Yes that's right!  Don't try and talk me out of this journey to the edge of madness.  Breakfast and evening meal will remain the same.

simonp

« Reply #469 on: 04 March, 2009, 01:24:39 pm »
From my powertap data, I would put an easy 200 at ~32kcal/mile and a tough one at ~40kcal/mile.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #470 on: 04 March, 2009, 06:28:37 pm »
I have now lost 10lb since before Christmas, and 7lb since start of Jan. Not hitting my target of 1lb/week quite, but not far off. Just means I'll have to keep it going for a month or so longer.

Feeling pretty happy today - I now weigh less than I have in at least 5 years. Probably more like 8

« Reply #471 on: 04 March, 2009, 07:36:13 pm »
The data is coming from my Polar CS400.  It measures the cadence, speed, gradient against my heart rate.  It knows my age and weight.  It also looks at heart beats and the gaps between them and my recovery rate.  It does seem all rather clever.  Perhaps cleverer than yours?

« Reply #472 on: 04 March, 2009, 10:10:15 pm »
The data is coming from my Polar CS400.  It measures the cadence, speed, gradient against my heart rate.  It knows my age and weight.  It also looks at heart beats and the gaps between them and my recovery rate.  It does seem all rather clever.  Perhaps cleverer than yours?

Possibly, the power figures from simonp's Powertap have kind of changed my mind. That and realising that 400kcal an hour (at Audax pace) is not that far off 40kcal/mile. :)

My Forerunner 405 knows my age, height and weight, plus my HR, speed and gradient and is still out by a factor of 2.

simonp

« Reply #473 on: 04 March, 2009, 10:20:07 pm »
The powertap numbers are far lower than I ever got from an HRM.  IIRC I got about 7000 calories for Cambridge to London to Cambridge using HRM which is again about 2x too high.

I would like to try the powertap on a time trial this year, could be interesting.

I think the one where I got ~5000kcals was my fastest ever 200 on the Yukon, in windy conditions, the week before PBP.  I got similar results for the first 200km of the Cheddar Gorge 300 (before it went wrong).  4000 is much more common.

Data from the Tour could be a bit misleading because they'll be on much lighter bikes and riding in the peloton saves a huge amount of energy.

alan

« Reply #474 on: 05 March, 2009, 07:59:11 am »
More exercise & less food seems to reduce one's weight slightly :)