Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1284307 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1175 on: 18 August, 2010, 02:33:59 pm »
I find the best way to avoid disagreeing with articles in the Times is to avoid reading the Times. ;)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1176 on: 19 August, 2010, 09:06:59 am »
The flash digital scales at the gym have disappeared, only to be replaced by a dial one — with a needle which won't stay still.  >:(

Best I can figure, I am now only 1kg from my target!  :)  Which I had hoped to hit a few months ago.   :(

Still a bit flabby around the middle, so will keep going beyond my target.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1177 on: 19 August, 2010, 09:37:39 am »
I find the best way to avoid disagreeing with articles in the Times is to avoid reading the Times. ;)

The daily puzzle pages are good.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1178 on: 25 August, 2010, 12:44:07 pm »
BMI has now stayed below 20 for a week. Haven't been this weight for over a decade, albeit I am still 10lbs heavier than when I got married. However, looking at old pictures of myself when I was BMXing a lot, I was very skinny, and my aim of a BMI of 19 will still leave me comfortably heavier than that.

My wife helpfully dug out some pics of me at my fattest. I may post them up. I look like a sea lion.

« Reply #1179 on: 25 August, 2010, 12:53:24 pm »
My wife helpfully dug out some pics of me at my fattest. I may post them up. I look like a sea lion.

That prompted me to go find a picture that I'd thought I'd lost (I remembered that it might have been emailed to me). Taken in the summer of 2001 when I was living the American Dream in Kansas.

http://www.greenbank.org/misc/lard.jpg
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1180 on: 25 August, 2010, 09:00:20 pm »

That prompted me to go find a picture that I'd thought I'd lost (I remembered that it might have been emailed to me). Taken in the summer of 2001 when I was living the American Dream in Kansas.

http://www.greenbank.org/misc/lard.jpg
Ha. I laugh at your sea lion and lard and would give you the bmi of 41.5 but I can't find any digital photos.
I've put on weight again through eating when bored at work. I've lost precisely nothing this year, which considering I've ridden more than 10,000km means I'm eating roughly the same amount as a small african village. Pah.

« Reply #1181 on: 27 August, 2010, 12:05:44 pm »
Good work. This is me with a BMI of about 28 about 7 years ago. It was the result of a local shop selling Wells Banana Bread beer cheap, and being stressed about lack of funding for my PhD. Warning - contains ugliest photo ever.

(click to show/hide)
This is me with a bmi of about 18, just before I got married

This is me a couple of years back when I got back up over 90

I've dropped 22 kg in the last year. I'm currently a BMI of 19.9, with the goal of 19. Other than the ice cream thing, only change to my eating behaviour has been setting up a habit of only drinking 4 bottles of beer a week - admittedly I've developed a taste for barley wine and belgian beer. Last night I had a bottle of Kwak. Yum. Don't do the miles you do - would like to think 12000km is possible, as I'm going to pass my 10000km goal comfortably.

Might start a boozahol units thread. Just checked the recycling bin - 18.4 units in the last 2 weeks, which I think is perfectly acceptable. Would help me keep on the straight and narrow.

citoyen

« Reply #1182 on: 27 August, 2010, 12:32:04 pm »
Might start a boozahol units thread. Just checked the recycling bin - 18.4 units in the last 2 weeks, which I think is perfectly acceptable. Would help me keep on the straight and narrow.

Good idea. I probably ought to keep track of how much I drink. It's probably more than I realise...

d.

simonp

« Reply #1183 on: 28 August, 2010, 04:17:14 pm »
See what happens when I drop to under 700km in a month but keep eating for a 2000km milage?

73.0kg!

To recap: I was 66kg a month ago...

« Reply #1184 on: 29 August, 2010, 08:15:15 am »
Chapeau!

I really must see if I can get hold of the EPIC norfolk food questionnaire. It's a validated short-questionnaire that gets rid of of the faff of keeping a diary. I reckon it'd be useful to have a simple tool for figuring out what you are putting in without the pain of recording such a basic, repeated behaviour.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1185 on: 01 September, 2010, 02:00:26 pm »
Between the end of June and yesterday, my weight went from 82kg to 74kg, on a diet of bread and cheese, yoghurt, biscuits, pizza, ice cream, Pflaumenkuchen and lots of chocolate. Oh, and tons of fresh fruit (especially plums).

I also cycled over 7550 km during that period.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1186 on: 01 September, 2010, 02:30:52 pm »
I also cycled over 7550 km during that period.

It's that extra 50k wot done it!

I rushed home from a 200k to jump on some scales and found I was -6lb. A couple of days later during which time I walked 20 odd miles along the Dorset coast path I was +4lb, i.e., I'd put on half a stone. I give up.

« Reply #1187 on: 06 September, 2010, 03:55:48 pm »
Been up and down over the last two weeks - gained 0.5kg following a 300km, then lost 1kg in the following week.

citoyen

« Reply #1188 on: 06 September, 2010, 04:01:30 pm »
My colleagues all think I'm wasting away!   :smug:

d.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1189 on: 08 September, 2010, 09:23:48 am »
Since the Mille I have gained about 4kg
Mrs. V says I look "about right" but it is the Dartmoor Devil at the end of October so I am going to be calorie reducing again

citoyen

« Reply #1190 on: 08 September, 2010, 10:41:22 am »

...but despite this, my weight has remained constant since mid-July, hovering around the 79kg mark. The 200 at the weekend hasn't made a dent.  :-\

My target by the end of this year is 76kg, so I'm going to need to up the effort a bit.

d.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1191 on: 13 September, 2010, 10:10:25 am »
That's 5 pounds more gone. This not drinking is doing wonders.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

simonp

« Reply #1192 on: 13 September, 2010, 10:16:57 am »

...but despite this, my weight has remained constant since mid-July, hovering around the 79kg mark. The 200 at the weekend hasn't made a dent.  :-\

My target by the end of this year is 76kg, so I'm going to need to up the effort a bit.

d.

Perhaps something like this might explain:

Physio: "You've lost weight"

Me: "No, I'm exactly the same weight I was last time I saw you"

Physio: "Oh. Well, there's less padding"

I definitely can look thinner without losing weight, by having a bit more muscle and a bit less fat.  This is one of the effects of training, I think.

citoyen

« Reply #1193 on: 13 September, 2010, 10:31:21 am »
I definitely can look thinner without losing weight, by having a bit more muscle and a bit less fat.  This is one of the effects of training, I think.

Yes, I'm sure it's partly that. Which is a good thing, obviously.

But I think the main reason I've hit a plateau is that I've slackened off the cycling mileage a bit over the last month or so – being off work for two weeks in August didn't help – and there have been a few parties too... I need to step the cycling back up a bit. And cut down the drinking.

d.

« Reply #1194 on: 13 September, 2010, 11:31:38 am »
Using livestrong is interesting. I eat like I do in the week at the weekend. I undershoot during the week, but over the weekend I overshoot my calorie needs by >1000kcal . It's averaging out that I am losing at n half a kilo a week since the end of June when I cut my beer and ice cream consumption.

Needle on the scale is hovering just below 70kg for the first time. Still on track for a BMI of 19 before Nov 1st.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1195 on: 13 September, 2010, 01:10:58 pm »
I reckon the recent loss was due to not eating stuff like crisps,biscuits & vanilla slices.More recently I have been eating stuff like crisps,biscuits & cake so there has been no loss.I am suprised that the weight has been static:I expected it to up.
I think another tough-love session is needed regarding diet.

« Reply #1196 on: 13 September, 2010, 03:29:47 pm »
What really hacks me off is the way that 2 weeks not cycling is +2kg, but 2 weeks cycling does not -any kg unless I ride more than 100km a day.

Still, docs tonight and that'll magically sort my knee out, right?
What's the betting I go for pie afterwards?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1197 on: 13 September, 2010, 03:49:40 pm »
What's the betting I go for pie afterwards?

Comfort eating?
one of my favourite past-times :) but as you say,a moment on the lips = a lifetime on the hips ::-)

« Reply #1198 on: 29 September, 2010, 10:38:01 am »
Somehow I've put on a kg, despite supposedly (livestrong) running at an average 500kcal deficit every day last week. Very mysterious.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1199 on: 29 September, 2010, 11:04:36 am »
I've been off the bike, and been eating like a Homer Simpson in an all you can eat seafood restaurant.

I might have put a bit of weight on as a result, but I dare not get on the scales to find out.  :(