Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 521673 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3925 on: 17 June, 2020, 04:18:52 pm »
Richard Ellis 200km route today, two feeds, including the biggest 99 I've ever had, at Mannintree!  :thumbsup:

Re: next weekend - I'll be riding the 'Not the Windmill Ride' 200km on Saturday I think [as Sunday is Father's Day]. Starting [and finishing] in Dunmow, to Chelmo, though probably not bothering with the urban bit to/from the Chelmer CC hut, up to Newmarket, then Saffron Walden etc. Saddlebag full of Marmite sarnies, more home baking etc ... pub stop if anywhere en-route is doing takeaway socially distant beer. Anyone else interested?

I could be up for this one :thumbsup:
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3926 on: 17 June, 2020, 04:22:48 pm »
Re: next weekend - I'll be riding the 'Not the Windmill Ride' 200km on Saturday I think [as Sunday is Father's Day]. Starting [and finishing] in Dunmow, to Chelmo, though probably not bothering with the urban bit to/from the Chelmer CC hut, up to Newmarket, then Saffron Walden etc. Saddlebag full of Marmite sarnies, more home baking etc ... pub stop if anywhere en-route is doing takeaway socially distant beer. Anyone else interested?

I could be up for this one :thumbsup:

I'll set off at 07:00 from home, Chelmo shortly after 08:00 I reckon. Meet at the Chignall Road/Woodhall Hill turn on the outskirts?

« Reply #3927 on: 19 June, 2020, 07:20:49 pm »

I'll set off at 07:00 from home, Chelmo shortly after 08:00 I reckon. Meet at the Chignall Road/Woodhall Hill turn on the outskirts?

Sarnies made, batteries charged - see you at the Chignal Road/Woodhall Hill turn (green triangle or there abouts) for 0800. :D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3928 on: 19 June, 2020, 11:38:30 pm »
Looks like a nice day for it enjoy!
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3929 on: 20 June, 2020, 06:42:25 am »
Looks like a nice day for it enjoy!

Sun's shining - woke me too early though! Along with the current route sheet, Stefan sent a profile - saw-tooth from beginning to end - I knew there was a lot of climbing by Essex/Cambs/Suffolk standards!

« Reply #3930 on: 20 June, 2020, 04:18:43 pm »
Windmills placed to catch the wind so generally up a hill or rise somewhere.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3931 on: 20 June, 2020, 07:14:24 pm »
Windmills placed to catch the wind so generally up a hill or rise somewhere.

Indeed! ;D And the route goes across the grain of the country, with lots of river valleys to cross. I reckon the route as it stands, even with the extra little loop through Writtle, [which we didn't do] is slightly under-distance. As I left out the 6km or so in/out of Chemo from the suburbs as well I ended up with about 185km. Still a nice long hilly-ish ride with the two Grey/Grays [Sheep and Mick] - thanks for all the towing, especially into the wind coming back.  :thumbsup: I think an extra info/village shop control east of Newmarket [Barrow?] might get it back up to 200km, with no need for extras at the end. Back to Mrs Google for another session at some point. I'll mention it to the organiser. What I haven't worked out yet is how the old Windmill routes I've done, which did have some variation over the years, often came out about 10km over-distance - where did we go?.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3932 on: 20 June, 2020, 08:20:55 pm »
Galleywood with the move to chelmer hut it's shorter. I did mention the under dist 2 years ago but it seemed to be given a pass :) if it were mandatory route it would be bang on. The distance lowering is at the Chelmsford end :)

Now if there were a way to remove Newmarket from the ride, that would be nice!
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3933 on: 21 June, 2020, 08:02:23 pm »
I'd like to take advantage of the long summer days to do a 300km ride in daylight. First thought was Hereward the Wake: Jem, Carlos and I rode it starting very early in the morning, as a helpers' ride a few years ago, on a day that rapidly became stonkingly hot: Second breakfast in Cambridge Market; quick stop in Whittlesey; extra pub stop somewhere in the wilds. After 'The Pag', we had a late lunch at the 'spoons in Biggleswade then rather dragged our heels into the evening via a paddle to cool off in Ashwell Springs, and another pub stop. Optionally, the route could be done in reverse for a change.

Another option would be one of Wilkyboys 200km routes which conveniently start 50km from home. His Civil War 200, up to Market Harborough in Northamptonshire is mostly unknown territory for me, which appeals. I think I'll be moving on to ride several of the Camaudax 200s in August though - the Chiltern Pathfinder is a cracker I'd like to revisit!

Any thoughts? 4th or 18th July would work for me.

« Reply #3934 on: 21 June, 2020, 08:10:33 pm »
I'm up for a 300k in July and will try to work around any dates.  Hereward is always a favourite but anywhere on a bicycle is great  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3935 on: 21 June, 2020, 08:14:16 pm »
Just be aware, if you’re interested in the points, a 300km ride won’t be validated by AUK, at least not for the foreseeable. Doing an extended 200k perm would be best to ride, if you want the points.
Although that only applies after 1st August anyway and you already said you’re riding in July so everything is for fun anyway  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #3936 on: 21 June, 2020, 08:41:49 pm »
I am in no  shape for any 300km rides soon, but Big Saxon and myself are looking forward to local Essex Audax events restarting in August - Are any of the R&Rs calendar events being considered to run?
CCS - Setting the Standards

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3937 on: 22 June, 2020, 07:29:13 pm »
Just be aware, if you’re interested in the points, a 300km ride won’t be validated by AUK, at least not for the foreseeable. Doing an extended 200k perm would be best to ride, if you want the points.
Although that only applies after 1st August anyway and you already said you’re riding in July so everything is for fun anyway  :thumbsup:

I just want to make the most of the weather and daylight between now and August! I think there might be rather a rush on 200km perms after 1st August, must check my brevet stocks. I will have done at least one 200km ride during each lockdown month, as well as several of 75 - 100 miles.

I'll keep 4th and 18th July free, and see how the weather looks nearer the time.

« Reply #3938 on: 23 June, 2020, 10:52:29 pm »
Bizarrely I’m keen to do an overnight ride with a possible bivvy.  I’ve missed riding through the night. I might have a think about riding it the opposite way to you guys and getting going around midnight.  But also thinking of a mini tour with my smallest tent. If I do do it, my preference would be 18th July, as my longest ride since March is only about 130km. So would like to fit in a 200km first to see how my endurance is.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3939 on: 24 June, 2020, 10:42:58 am »
The Spiritual Home is re-opening!

Monday 20th July at 12:00 - I am very tempted to re-schedule work for the following day, but we must go there on the following Wednesday evening.

« Reply #3940 on: 25 June, 2020, 10:25:03 am »
Hooray!
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3941 on: 25 June, 2020, 07:23:55 pm »
Let's go with Saturday 18th July for a 300 then.  :thumbsup:

On balance, I think I'll do Wilky's 200s for the points and have a go at Hereward then. Starting at 06:00 ok? Might get back by last orders ...

« Reply #3942 on: 25 June, 2020, 07:44:33 pm »
Hi Tom, this is Mick. Could I play please?
Zijn specialiteit was sprinten om de zesde plaats

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3943 on: 25 June, 2020, 10:13:42 pm »
Hi Tom, this is Mick. Could I play please?

Yes! You're welcome, of course. At present just three of us, we'll see ...

« Reply #3944 on: 25 June, 2020, 10:21:33 pm »
So is that a Hereward on the 18th with a 6.00am start from your place?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3945 on: 26 June, 2020, 09:28:38 am »
So is that a Hereward on the 18th with a 6.00am start from your place?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

:thumbsup: Subject to review nearer the time though.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3946 on: 28 June, 2020, 03:28:01 pm »
Following a trip Mrs Tomsk and I made to Hyde Hall RHS garden yesterday, I have discovered there is an apple variety called ACME! They have a freshly planted orchard with traditional and newer Essex varieties - ACME is a Cox-type apple, a heavy cropper but tending to be biennial [ie alternate good and lean years] and was bred at Boreham in 1944. I've found one commercial supplier so far: Chris Bowers and Sons of Wimbotsham, Norfolk. An RHS group 3 apple - so flowering time is compatible with the 'Katja' and 'James Grieve' we already have, hooray!

It's on the birthday list!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3947 on: 28 June, 2020, 03:33:34 pm »
That must mean we can have ACME cider! 

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3948 on: 28 June, 2020, 04:35:01 pm »

If only there was someone who knew about brewing ...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3949 on: 28 June, 2020, 06:53:52 pm »

If only there was someone who knew about brewing ...

Indeed!  And we could get josser to plant an orchard!