Author Topic: Kitten wanted  (Read 8190 times)

CathH

Re: Kitten wanted
« Reply #25 on: 11 July, 2008, 12:56:41 pm »
crazy hair, vast bosom, somewhat round in build, wearing a thick ribbed jumper (covered in cat hair) and wellies. 

Oh.  Oh dear..... My destiny clearly awaits....

border-rider

« Reply #26 on: 11 July, 2008, 01:57:24 pm »

and also; we want a kitten; not an outcast, they all end up as cats after 6 months anyway but it's important to do the bonding thing; my gut feeling is that they will have a lot of rescues they are keen to rehome.

They'll bond just fine

ours were rescued at about 18 months old, in a fairly poor state, and spent 6 months being brought back to health. The little fat one has spent the whole morning hanging round my neck and purring, and now is trying to go to sleep on the keyboard :)

The home visit is fine too - unless you have no garden and live on a main road, when they may be a bit fussy.

Martin

« Reply #27 on: 11 July, 2008, 02:13:43 pm »
the bonding we need is from our kids  :-\

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 11 July, 2008, 02:16:08 pm »
CPL or RSPCA are the places to go, though I'd make an exception round here - I'm close to the Battersea Dogs and cats home.
Getting there...

« Reply #29 on: 11 July, 2008, 03:40:19 pm »
I know what Martin means though, if you look at the CPL or Battersea websites, there are long forms full of questions, discussions of suitability, home visits etc etc.  It does all sound like a lot of faff, even compared to ten years back when we adopted Tali from the Blue Cross.

I think we filled a form in when we picked him up, and I paid them a donation (more than the minimum requested, since I think they do a very good job), but it wasn't particularly onerous.  Having said that, I think that when we picked him up, it was something like our fifth or sixth visit, and it was a 70 miles round trip, so we were clearly reasonably serious about it, and willing to spend more than the minimum amount of money!

I suspect that these organisations have a very poor view of people who want dogs and cats, since the reason they exist is because a lot of people are clearly incapable of looking after these animals, it's guess that it's bound to colour your views, and make you want to check new homes out as much as possible.
Actually, it is rocket science.

ian

« Reply #30 on: 11 July, 2008, 08:54:50 pm »
After Lamb Chop, our elderly cat died from wonky kidneyosis, we got our new kitties from Croydon Animal Samaritans, a small charity. It was always going to be rescue cats (we'd wanted a kitten for ages, but Lamb Chop didn't play well with others so we didn't dare subject her to that). After a brief email exchange about suitability, foster lady came around for a brief chat and to check we weren't planning to eat them. To be honest, I'd have gone elsewhere if they hadn't exhibited due diligence. A couple days later we popped around to see a potentially suitable couple of kittens. An hour later they opted to follow us home.

Anyway, they were neutered, vaccinated, and chipped. Actually, The Honeymonster had one vaccination to go, so we had to sign a form saying we'd do that, and return it with the vet's signature to confirm. And another form to say that if there was any problem we would return the kittens to them and only them (and that we wouldn't sell them). The were open about their history (La-La was a serial bed pooper, but her original owners didn't want a litter tray out all the time, and The Honeymonster had taken a literal taste to the horrible family child). Oh, and the bout of explosive diarrhoea they'd both had was described in Tarantino-esque detail.

As I say, they didn't hold anything back, and the foster lady's main concern was evidently owners who wouldn't dump them at the first sign of trouble. I was almost expecting to be sprayed with shit and then have my limbs bitten off when we finally visited. We were fortunately disappointed.

So, we now have the Two Kittens of the Apocalypse. And they're great. Other than when they re-enact famous battles of WWII at the bottom of the bed at 4am. Which is every morning.

I wouldn't ever get a cat or kitten from a newspaper ad or a 'breeder'.

« Reply #31 on: 11 July, 2008, 09:02:17 pm »
This thread is useless without pics.

Pleeeeeeeze?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #32 on: 11 July, 2008, 10:44:07 pm »
Oh Ian, you have made me larf!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #33 on: 12 July, 2008, 03:44:07 pm »
Now look what you lot have done!
#1 son and I have been to a cat refuge today.  Only looking of course.  ::-)

14 week old Trevor is now playing happily in the kitchen and making himself generally at home at Brush Towers.   ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #34 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:27:25 pm »
Well Basil, I think you have a duty to get yourself over to the gratutitous cats thread and let us all see!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #35 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:58:03 pm »
Well Basil, I think you have a duty to get yourself over to the gratutitous cats thread and let us all see!

OK.  Only a mobile phone pic.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Martin

Re: Kitten(s) wanted
« Reply #36 on: 04 September, 2008, 12:08:42 pm »
Having got the family hols out of the way we finally visited the National Cat Centre which is handily only 6 miles away yesterday; quite an emotional experience seeing all those poor 12-17 year old cats staring pleadingly at you (IMX taking on of those would be like buying an old Rover car). We picked up the only pair of kittens they had and had to be crowbarred away from them (hair too long apparently); home visit next week after which it will probably be a twice weekly trip until we get the right pair. Quite noticeable just how much bigger boys are than girls.

Martin

« Reply #37 on: 10 September, 2008, 10:28:42 pm »
the lady from Del Monte she say yes; going to choose two on Friday; they don't half lay on the guilt trip about a donation....

border-rider

« Reply #38 on: 10 September, 2008, 10:31:43 pm »
Fair exchange really - they'll be vaccinated & chipped etc.  That'll save you the sharp end of £100.

Martin

« Reply #39 on: 10 September, 2008, 10:50:29 pm »
I was going to give £50 each anyway; she said they needed to be fed at 12.00 precisely every day to which Mrs Zoom replied she'd be at work, and keeping them in until 5-6 months old ??

called in at the centre's open day on Sunday; suffice to say anything that wasn't frothing at the mouth or showing its arse had been reserved including all the kittens. Friday is kitten day that's when the vet releases them; a bit like Bluewater on Boxing day.

Martin

« Reply #40 on: 12 September, 2008, 05:55:05 pm »
Presenting Star

and Blaze

:)

Of course just as we were about to leave the Cat Centre a family who fell in love with Blaze at the Open Day called in to reserve her as they were only released today :'(

border-rider

« Reply #41 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:10:49 pm »
That's one pretty kitty :)

[Or even 2]