Author Topic: Mobile phone use in France...  (Read 3085 times)

Mobile phone use in France...
« on: 09 July, 2015, 01:33:22 pm »
We're with TalkTalk mobile (SIM only contract) which uses Vodafone network, and thinking about a forthcoming visit to France.  Last time we went to France (when on Orange/EE) our PAYG phones wouldn't work.  This time I was thinking about getting SIM cards in France.  Anyone done this?  Would they allow mobile data?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Mobile phone use in France...
« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2015, 03:17:28 pm »
My Vodafone (SIM only contract) phone has worked all over Europe with no problems. You can opt-in to the Eurotraveller (it pops a text up automatically on yr phone) for £3 or £4 per day (for each day you actually use the phone for calls or data) that keeps your charges at your UK rate - and includes the free minutes/data.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 09 July, 2015, 03:24:28 pm »
Thanks fboab - will check out 3: feel at home.

My Vodafone (SIM only contract) phone has worked all over Europe with no problems. You can opt-in to the Eurotraveller (it pops a text up automatically on yr phone) for £3 or £4 per day (for each day you actually use the phone for calls or data) that keeps your charges at your UK rate - and includes the free minutes/data.

Although TT uses vodafone - they don't seem to have any deals for Europe.

« Reply #4 on: 09 July, 2015, 04:11:33 pm »
Thanks fboab - will check out 3: feel at home.

Although TT uses vodafone - they don't seem to have any deals for Europe.
Mr Smith is on Orange, I'm on 3, and we are data gluttons because of our Ingress habit. I would say that almost universally, internationally, I get better signal than him.

« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2015, 04:17:49 pm »
Mr Smith is on Orange, I'm on 3, and we are data gluttons because of our Ingress habit. I would say that almost universally, internationally, I get better signal than him.

This is true.  I have witnessed the signal strength.  I have witnessed the discussion about signal strength.  I have witnessed the dejection.  I have witnessed the smugness.

The future (in France) is 3 and not Orange!

« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2015, 04:19:22 pm »
 :smug:

;D

« Reply #7 on: 09 July, 2015, 04:27:33 pm »
I'm going for the 3 mobile: '30 day rolling contract SIM' for £20, as it turns out for the PAYG £15 SIM that you need to have had it for 30 days prior to going abroad, to be able to use the 'feel at home' roaming.  With the rolling SIM one does get hotspot/tethering facility - may be useful.  So with this SIM I give the 30 days notice to cancel when I get it, and so only pay the one fee.  AFAIUI I get 200mins calls, unlimited txt & 25Gb data.  Anyone know if there's a 3 mobile coverage checker for France?  I bet there's one or two dead spots in the Alps... 

« Reply #8 on: 10 July, 2015, 10:36:46 am »
I'm with 3 and I made a trip abroad 2 weeks after joining, so I rang to find out what the data costs would be (as I hadn't been a customer for 30 days as the small print says you must be),

But "Oh no sir, it works straight away from the moment you join" so it may just be advertised as 30 days to discourage 'one off holiday purchases', you can also drop to the cheaper tariff after your trip.

I also had a weeks skiing in Meribel (France), the signal was reasonable in the resorts and a bit patchy higher up, might be better nearer roads of course

« Reply #9 on: 10 July, 2015, 10:45:27 am »
I'm with 3 and I made a trip abroad 2 weeks after joining, so I rang to find out what the data costs would be (as I hadn't been a customer for 30 days as the small print says you must be),

But "Oh no sir, it works straight away from the moment you join" so it may just be advertised as 30 days to discourage 'one off holiday purchases', you can also drop to the cheaper tariff after your trip.

I also had a weeks skiing in Meribel (France), the signal was reasonable in the resorts and a bit patchy higher up, might be better nearer roads of course

Thanks.  Interesting.  3 Mobile's customer service told me about the '30 day rule' - so didn't feel like I had any option.

« Reply #10 on: 10 July, 2015, 02:05:46 pm »
I bought a 3 Sim, put £15 on it and then converted that to one of their "packages" , that gave me 30 days unlimited date in France.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #11 on: 10 July, 2015, 04:05:22 pm »
With 3 local call (France) are the same as calling for England  :o

3 were giving away 500mb free data sims that will work abroad, handy for a few things.

« Reply #12 on: 21 August, 2018, 12:37:43 pm »
Just a 2018 update, in case anyone's interested,  I used my ID-mobile (3-mobile ) pay monthly (£5 pm/ 2.25Gb/5000 txts/250 mins) free Euro roaming, in France. Network coverage was very good using both Orange & Bouygues, even in some remoter areas.  Was also able to use gmaps satnav online most of the time, for re-routing and traffic functionality; had also downloaded the offline maps in case.

Ben T

« Reply #13 on: 22 August, 2018, 02:38:39 pm »
Just a 2018 update, in case anyone's interested,  I used my ID-mobile (3-mobile ) pay monthly (£5 pm/ 2.25Gb/5000 txts/250 mins) free Euro roaming, in France. Network coverage was very good using both Orange & Bouygues, even in some remoter areas.  Was also able to use gmaps satnav online most of the time, for re-routing and traffic functionality; had also downloaded the offline maps in case.

Yep I did similar recently in france.
Got caught out flying back from Geneva airport though, wondering why I had started to run up roaming charges, and it was because Geneva is technically part of Switzerland which is apparently not in the EU. It caps the roaming charges at a preset limit though which is something sensible like £20 or £30 so you don't run up a huge bill.

« Reply #14 on: 22 August, 2018, 03:48:41 pm »
Got caught out flying back from Geneva airport though, wondering why I had started to run up roaming charges, and it was because Geneva is technically part of Switzerland which is apparently not in the EU. It caps the roaming charges at a preset limit though which is something sensible like £20 or £30 so you don't run up a huge bill.

Technically part of Switzerland? Is there anyway at all that it's part of somewhere else?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #15 on: 22 August, 2018, 04:11:13 pm »
I got caught out in Croatia (EU) a couple of years ago. My bill included roaming in the Caribbean! Must have connected with one of the many cruise ships in the Adriatic. Rang Virgin Mobile and they agreed to refund it.

« Reply #16 on: 22 August, 2018, 09:25:26 pm »
Roaming charges were abolished in the EU last year so it shouldn't cost any more than it does here, so use it while you can, until Theresa and her lot take it away.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Ben T

« Reply #17 on: 22 August, 2018, 11:23:52 pm »

Technically part of Switzerland? Is there anyway at all that it's part of somewhere else?

Think half of it's France the other halfs Switzerland but the split extends into the airport and I must have been in the Swiss bit. Or enough for my phone to use Switzerland's mast.
I know I got a text saying I'd gone out of the EU...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 22 August, 2018, 11:42:07 pm »

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #19 on: 22 August, 2018, 11:47:01 pm »

Think half of it's France the other halfs Switzerland but the split extends into the airport and I must have been in the Swiss bit. Or enough for my phone to use Switzerland's mast.
I know I got a text saying I'd gone out of the EU...
Upto a point Lord Copper. Geneva is in Switzerland. There's no "technically", there's no "half of it's in France".
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 23 August, 2018, 12:19:59 am »
The airport lies entirely within Swiss territory,[4] however, its northern limit runs along the Swiss–French border and the airport can be accessed from both countries. The freight operations are also accessible from both countries, making Geneva a European Union freight hub although Switzerland is not a member of the EU. The airport is partially in the municipality of Meyrin and partially in the municipality of Le Grand-Saconnex.[5][6]
wikipedia
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ben T

« Reply #21 on: 23 August, 2018, 08:37:24 am »
Upto a point Lord Copper. Geneva is in Switzerland. There's no "technically", there's no "half of it's in France".

its northern limit runs along the Swiss–French border and the airport can be accessed from both countries.

Ah right, that'll be it then. They talk about the "french side" and the "swiss side" but that's presumably referring to just the entrance.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #22 on: 23 August, 2018, 10:32:52 am »
The French sector of the airport is kind of separate. If you arrive on that side, you could exit directly to France, without going through Swiss customs and immigration. But less relevant now that they are both in the Schengen area anyway.

« Reply #23 on: 23 August, 2018, 02:17:14 pm »
There’s a similar situation at Basel airport which is actually in France. You can leave the airport by two doors, one to France and another to Switzerland. The only difference is that if you exit via the Swiss door, you get a chance to buy duty free on your way out.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo