Author Topic: The women's road race  (Read 7797 times)

Re: Nicole Cooke's just won gold
« Reply #25 on: 10 August, 2008, 05:37:46 pm »
I think the fact that the result has been included in the title of the thread has spoilt it for some.
Luckily I watched it live so I knew before I read it on here.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: The women's road race
« Reply #26 on: 10 August, 2008, 05:41:33 pm »
Ah, I see.  Calling a forum admin a tw*t is not normally a good thing, but I'm not vindictive, nor do I really care after half a bottle of claret.

Did you know Darth Vader was Luke's father?  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris S

« Reply #27 on: 10 August, 2008, 06:02:50 pm »
Ah, I see.  Calling a forum admin a tw*t is not normally a good thing, but I'm not vindictive, nor do I really care after half a bottle of claret.

Being an admin shouldn't make you immune to people's ire when you've given away a monumental spoiler though... ;)

Ah well... nobody died, eh?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #28 on: 10 August, 2008, 06:21:16 pm »

Being an admin shouldn't make you immune to people's ire when you've given away a monumental spoiler though... ;)

I changed the thread title anyway.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #29 on: 10 August, 2008, 08:20:39 pm »

Would you mind posting a spoiler warning before giving away vital information like that?   :)
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

gonzo

« Reply #30 on: 10 August, 2008, 08:40:49 pm »
Would you mind posting a spoiler warning before giving away vital information like that?   :)

New thread title: "Spoiler - Cooke won gold". Any better?

« Reply #31 on: 10 August, 2008, 09:10:27 pm »
Proper respect to all the riders  :thumbsup: , it looked absolutely horrible out there - although the air was probably a tad more breathable...  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #32 on: 10 August, 2008, 09:13:27 pm »
As mentioned elsewhere, I don't really get this spoiler thing. If you really don't want to know who won, step away from the computer. Put the keyboard down!

It's a forum of cycling enthusiasts. They are likely to get enthused by an amazing performance. Possibly even post about it!

How long should we be careful about mentioning she who shall not be named? Is next week OK?  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Maladict

« Reply #33 on: 10 August, 2008, 09:20:19 pm »
Because people come here for more than just the one thread.  You're asking them to stay away from the forum for the entire two weeks of the Olympics so other people who are lucky enough to have already seen the result, can avoid having to be trivially considerate.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #34 on: 10 August, 2008, 09:24:13 pm »
No, I'm suggesting that if you don't watch the race live and you make efforts in the rest of your life to stay away from all news output then the onus is on you rather than all the other posters to ensure you don't pick up the news from the forum.

You're asking them to stay away from the forum for the entire two weeks of the Olympics

To be honest - if you aren't going to watch the race until after the end of the Olympics then it is going to get spoiled for you.  :)

« Reply #35 on: 10 August, 2008, 09:28:54 pm »

New thread title: "Spoiler - Cooke won gold". Any better?

Humour bypass?
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Maladict

« Reply #36 on: 10 August, 2008, 09:39:40 pm »
No, I'm suggesting that if you don't watch the race live and you make efforts in the rest of your life to stay away from all news output then the onus is on you rather than all the other posters to ensure you don't pick up the news from the forum.

You're asking them to stay away from the forum for the entire two weeks of the Olympics

To be honest - if you aren't going to watch the race until after the end of the Olympics then it is going to get spoiled for you.  :)

Are there no other cycling events during the Olympics, then?

Chris S

« Reply #37 on: 10 August, 2008, 09:47:09 pm »
I see the result probably isn't that important with the beeb. Their RSS feed today had "Phelps wins first Gold" as the highest placed Olympics story. Now the most important sports story is "Man U 0 : Portsmouth 0".

No mention of Team GB's first Gold at all.

::-)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #38 on: 10 August, 2008, 09:52:20 pm »
Well, it's ruined it for me. I'd completely forgotten the Olympics were on and was looking forward to 2012! ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 10 August, 2008, 10:00:26 pm »
Respect to Cooke:

It was the first ever medal from a British female cyclist, the first gold from a Welsh athlete since 1972, and Great Britain's 200th gold medal in Olympic history.

And to Emma Pooley and Sharon Laws, who worked well as Cooke's domestiques, and finished 23rd and 35th respectively.
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #40 on: 10 August, 2008, 10:06:57 pm »
Hmm... 2012....

We had a conversation about this at the family dinner table this evening,

It revolved around the fantastic views on today's race in Beijing; under the Great Wall a few times, up a mountain twice, and through some brilliant scenery.

If you go on the London 2012 site - it merely says "Regents Park" for the road races.

Great - this year they go in and out of a 3000 yr old piece of history;; in four years time they get to ride round and round a f*cking zoo.

Maladict

« Reply #41 on: 10 August, 2008, 10:08:13 pm »
Send 'em on a tour of the Henges.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #42 on: 10 August, 2008, 10:15:52 pm »

It revolved around the fantastic views on today's race in Beijing; under the Great Wall a few times, up a mountain twice, and through some brilliant scenery.

That wasn't the original plan.
 http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/olympics08/?id=/features/2008/olympic_road_race_course

Back in 2002, the CCA's initial proposal was to hold the road race along Beijing's uninspiring fourth ring highway. This huge, eight-lane motorway encircles the city – and is completely flat. Worse still, it's utterly uneventful.

Insiders claim the presentation of the circuit to the International Cycling Union (UCI) consisted of little more than a photocopied map with a yellow marker tracing the loop.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Maladict

« Reply #43 on: 10 August, 2008, 10:58:34 pm »
I see the result probably isn't that important with the beeb. Their RSS feed today had "Phelps wins first Gold" as the highest placed Olympics story. Now the most important sports story is "Man U 0 : Portsmouth 0".

No mention of Team GB's first Gold at all.

The top story on BBC News Sport page right now is "Cooke grabs first GB gold medal" with the large iPlayer window showing the finish of the race.  I don't see how they could have given it more prominence tbh. :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #44 on: 10 August, 2008, 11:57:02 pm »
Bloody BBC.

Can't keep a secret, can they!  ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #45 on: 11 August, 2008, 05:44:23 am »
There are 23 pics up on Bikeradar HERE that show a beaming Ms Cooke and a large gold medal  ;D

Something that struck me yesterday during the coverage was how fit she looked over previous years.  Even her arms look stronger and more toned.

Great exposure for CBoardman bikes too  :thumbsup:

Rapples

« Reply #46 on: 11 August, 2008, 06:48:56 am »
Hmm... 2012....

If you go on the London 2012 site - it merely says "Regents Park" for the road races.

What the next olympics are in London :o :o :o

You just have to spoil it for everyone don't you :'(

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #47 on: 11 August, 2008, 08:05:59 am »
Ecstatic is not the word   :)  :)  :)

I was actually in tears at the end of the race. Go Team GB - lets hope they get some track glory!

Re: Nicole Cooke's just won gold
« Reply #48 on: 11 August, 2008, 08:43:49 am »
Longo did incredibly well considering she's 10 years older than me...and I'm Jurassic compared to most racing cyclists.

Yes she was not far.

But very well done Cookie. Such sheer and simple pleasure. The type of cyclists I like. Bravo!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #49 on: 11 August, 2008, 09:59:01 am »
There are 23 pics up on Bikeradar HERE that show a beaming Ms Cooke and a large gold medal  ;D

Something that struck me yesterday during the coverage was how fit she looked over previous years.  Even her arms look stronger and more toned.

Great exposure for CBoardman bikes too  :thumbsup:
Thanks for that link.
Wonderful set of photos, it was so incredibly wet!.

Good shots of Nicole. She is a real animal on a bike, reminds me of Bernard Hinault. I wouldn't like to get in her way.
<i>Marmite slave</i>