Author Topic: Dynamo Powered rechargers Various  (Read 52944 times)

Re: Dynamo Powered rechargers Various
« Reply #50 on: 15 January, 2012, 06:05:15 pm »
Bah, was about to order a PP + SIC until I saw this....

Which of the units discussed are reasonably waterproof? Or do they all need to go into a bar bag or some sort of container which its wet?

Frere

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #51 on: 15 January, 2012, 06:11:25 pm »
Hold on, hold on.  You can make pretty much anything reasonably strong and waterproof if you want to.  It can be difficult when you want an easily un/pluggable connector included, but that itself wouldn't have to be 100% waterproof for the device as a whole to be reasonably durable overall.

First of all, think what you can do with epoxy and self-amalgamating rubber tape and any other stuff you can get your hands on.  Epoxy is good for reinforcing as well as waterproofing and insulating.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #52 on: 15 January, 2012, 06:14:08 pm »
ps.  Some weather-resistant DC power connectors are available (as part of leads, at least).  For details, find a previous thread on the forum discussing MacB's problem with his lights.

« Reply #53 on: 15 January, 2012, 06:23:12 pm »
Ah yes, vaguely remember that, ok, will do, be right back and post link when found

Frere

Edit, am guessing its this thread as there is some discussion of waterproofing

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=54288.msg1103916#msg1103916

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #54 on: 15 January, 2012, 06:37:43 pm »
Edit, am guessing its this thread as there is some discussion of waterproofing

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=54288.msg1103916#msg1103916

That's the bunny.  Some of the connectors mentioned there might come in handy for other applications, even for replacing connectors of other sizes (as long as both the plug and socket is replaced).

Apologies for not reading all of this thread on dynamo rechargers etc - but still I'm confident that you can turn any old crap into something good, if you want to, rather than spending much more on a new product altogether.  Obviously that's an exaggeration, but I hope you know what I mean, Harry.

« Reply #55 on: 15 January, 2012, 06:44:05 pm »
Thanks for the confirmation. Now to figure out a 4 way switch as mentioned earlier in this thread, i.e. off completely/light only/USB gadget e.g. GPS or iPhone 4 only/both light and USB gadget...

Frere

« Reply #56 on: 15 January, 2012, 06:53:46 pm »
waterproof cases http://www.over-board.co.uk/waterproof-iphone-case-aqua.html

Or a thick plastic bag  :)

You  don't need to worry much about leads conected directly  to the generator and water - it's AC so no electrolytic action

The DC leads and Batteries are the bit to take care of.

Having said all that note my comment about long-term reliablity of the battery connections Vibration is another enemy of Bike mounted Electrikery

« Reply #57 on: 15 January, 2012, 07:13:44 pm »
I'll be installing Softhema S25a dynamo/USB chargers on a couple of bikes in the near future. The plan is to use them to charge Portapow-like batteries during the day when touring. What components they contain are well encapsulated inside adhesive heat shrink so I am hopeful that they will be pretty waterproof.

If they work I will be well impressed as they weight only 29g (half of that is the switch to toggle between lights and USB output) and cost me only about £10 each from my favourite shop, eBay. I bought the basic version; enhanced models with cache batteries are in the pipeline as well.

FYI a good overview of most of the currently-available USB dynamo chargers can be found on FahrradZukunft (Bicycle Future). It's a german site, but Bing Translator does a fair job of rendering it in English. The three "Steckdose Unterwegs" or "Socket on the Road" articles compare the main players. And for good measure, Issue 12 contains a couple of designs for building you own, if you are that way inclined!

« Reply #58 on: 15 January, 2012, 07:17:38 pm »
Oooh, we have another contender for consideration!

many thanks for that Kevina9

Now off to puruse...reasonable machine translations permitting.

Frere

« Reply #59 on: 15 January, 2012, 07:52:27 pm »
You're welcome!

I also considered the Kemo M172 which can be had for about £25 and is also waterproof.

I went with the Softhema mainly because I managed to snipe it very cheaply, and also because it's more compact, being nor much more than a couple of wires, and therefore easier to install unobtrusively...

« Reply #60 on: 15 January, 2012, 08:05:01 pm »
I'll be installing Softhema S25a dynamo/USB chargers on a couple of bikes in the near future. The plan is to use them to charge Portapow-like batteries during the day when touring. What components they contain are well encapsulated inside adhesive heat shrink so I am hopeful that they will be pretty waterproof.

If they work I will be well impressed as they weight only 29g (half of that is the switch to toggle between lights and USB output) and cost me only about £10 each from my favourite shop, eBay. I bought the basic version; enhanced models with cache batteries are in the pipeline as well.

FYI a good overview of most of the currently-available USB dynamo chargers can be found on FahrradZukunft (Bicycle Future). It's a german site, but Bing Translator does a fair job of rendering it in English. The three "Steckdose Unterwegs" or "Socket on the Road" articles compare the main players. And for good measure, Issue 12 contains a couple of designs for building you own, if you are that way inclined!

I don't suppose that you could point me at the ebay shop you use could you please?   A search on   SOFTHEMA S50A    brought me all manner of everything but!!!

Thanks.   :)

« Reply #61 on: 15 January, 2012, 08:21:10 pm »
Portapower doeing a sale on their premium and max packs atm btw.

Is my understanding correct that having one of these Portapowa (or Morphie or like) as the battery cache between a softhema should adequately protect gadgets?

Frere

« Reply #62 on: 15 January, 2012, 08:32:26 pm »
@PolarBear

I sniped my S25As from these - one item from each :
softhema_2011
softhema_2010

Both end up with the same seller/manufacturer ... I have only ever seen the S25A on eBay to date. The S50A is a new product, and may not be ready yet.

Try emailing Softhema via eBay for availability?

@Frere
I'm planning to use a PortaPow because a) it's useful to have one and b) it costs a fraction of the price of a replacement smartphone/GPS, if things go badly wrong when charging from a dynamo.

ETA: I.e. I plan on charging the cache battery from the dynamo, and isolate the cache battery from the dynamo before using it to charge the phone.

« Reply #63 on: 16 January, 2012, 10:22:16 am »
That thing looks worryingly like it has no electrickery to modulate the current from the hub! I would check your Portapow isn't getting hot on descents. How does it deal with the current when the Portapow isn't attached?

« Reply #64 on: 16 January, 2012, 05:20:10 pm »
The web-site suggests it does the job, reassuring words like switched mode regulator and designed for high voltage generators. The bit about DC input I put down to lost in translation

« Reply #65 on: 16 January, 2012, 06:04:22 pm »
Google translates the important bits as

"The device itself is at first sight only from cable, the mini-USB connector, three brass tubes for connection to the rest of the bike electrics and a switch. The actual charging electronics with green status LED is hidden in a piece of heat shrink tubing in the middle of the cable. The shrink tube with adhesive filling ensures a watertight seal of the electronics. The total weight is 27 grams with a sensational low. Because it is so easy, can be dispensed with an elaborate fortification. Of delivery are a couple of cable ties in the assembly. It works. But not everyone will want it, allow the unit to constantly on the bike.

Switch and connection are designed to manually switch between light operation and charging. Feasible but is also a separate connection to parallel to the light system with the option, switch the charger from the lighting system.

When operating without loads connected to the hub dynamo is already at a comfortable ride that the electronics are pretty hot. This is due to Zener diodes, which limit the input voltage to approximately 15 volts to protect the switching regulator. If the temperature exceeds a certain level, a protection circuit, the device completely. The green "Power Good" LED turns off for a few seconds. With connected consumers have to be relatively sporty way to feel a significant warming."

Looks like a neat solution at €39
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #66 on: 16 January, 2012, 06:41:52 pm »
Looks interesting. I wonder if it could be hooked up to http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Trent-iCruiser-IMP1000-Blackberry/dp/B004CHMP50/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2
I would want to wire it direct to the hub using piggyback spades leaving the light also permanently directly attached, since the light has it's own switch which I leave permanently set to 'senso'. I find it comforting to know that if my USB charger went tits up during a ride I can simply disconnect it leaving my dynamo light safely connected. Basically I would want to wire it so that the switch selects between USB on and USB off. I am assuming that leaving one of the 3 wires unconnected would achieve this, if I could work out which 2 to use.

I like the sound of charging up a 11000mAh battery pack during the day while touring. It would also be very handy on a camping trip where a mains socket is available to use but not in a secure enough place to leave a Garmin or iPhone unattended. It was like that on the Sem Fed last summer. Worst case scenario would be someone pinching my £35 battery pack rather than my £400 phone.

« Reply #67 on: 16 January, 2012, 06:52:11 pm »
Looks interesting. I wonder if it could be hooked up to http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Trent-iCruiser-IMP1000-Blackberry/dp/B004CHMP50/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2

That power pack can't be charged via USB. The input requires a 5V 2A barrel connector. I found this out the expensive way  :-[

2 x Veho Pebbles might be a better idea.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #68 on: 16 January, 2012, 07:07:44 pm »

That power pack can't be charged via USB. The input requires a 5V 2A barrel connector. I found this out the expensive way  :-[

2 x Veho Pebbles might be a better idea.

Thanks for that! I have a Veho Pebble already so I could try this out. The softhema is cheap enough to buy and try out on my other bike. The cable is certainly neater than the cable and regulator of the Dahon Reecharge, and gets around the home made switch issue. This could be an ideal solution to buy multiples of for each bike just connecting the battery pack to the one I'm riding when needed. It looks like a good option for occasional use because it's not adding weight and fugliness to the bike.

« Reply #69 on: 20 January, 2012, 07:40:06 pm »
The softhema's on eBay already have bids on them, so am not going to, just in case its fellow forummers.

The PedalPower + SIC have gone back up to full price, serves me right for dithering.

Looks like getting either the Kemo M172 or full price softhemas from one of the dealers listed.

Couple queries:

1. are the Portapower units reasonably waterproof?
2. Planning to use iPhone4, still don't know enough about GPS units and seems to be very overly elaborate to operate (perhaps something for Apple to work on once they have their TV out?), so am I going to be ok to recharge an iPhone4 in use off a portapower and either a Kemo M172 or softhema?

Frere

« Reply #70 on: 20 January, 2012, 07:46:17 pm »

I've had no problems. However, I keep them in a top tube bag that has a rain cover, inside a resealable sandwich bag (with just the cable sticking out to power the GPS and/or phone). The USB sockets have no inherent sealing to keep water out.

« Reply #71 on: 20 January, 2012, 09:22:32 pm »
The softhema's on eBay already have bids on them, so am not going to, just in case its fellow forummers.

The PedalPower + SIC have gone back up to full price, serves me right for dithering.

Looks like getting either the Kemo M172 or full price softhemas from one of the dealers listed.

Couple queries:

2. Planning to use iPhone4, still don't know enough about GPS units and seems to be very overly elaborate to operate (perhaps something for Apple to work on once they have their TV out?), so am I going to be ok to recharge an iPhone4 in use off a portapower and either a Kemo M172 or softhema?

Frere

This is only a guess, but as an iPhone 4S owner and having a couple of these battery packs and some experience dynamo charging .... I reckon you could have problems with the iPhone charge running down faster than the battery packs can recharge it. I am basing this on the iPhone being much more power hungry than a Garmin Edge, and charging a Garmin Edge while using it, especially with the back light on, takes absolutely ages.

« Reply #72 on: 20 January, 2012, 10:17:23 pm »

bah!

Thanks for that, Feline, tis appreciated.

Re think incoming....

Frere

« Reply #73 on: 20 January, 2012, 10:51:10 pm »
Well Feline, had a quick browse over in that yonder CTC forum and seems that e-Werk works fine with the iPhone 4, and the iPhone 4S, no cache battery needed. Here's the thread

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54604&hilit=E+Werk

and there is mention also of this switch:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150485793054#ht_753wt_898

So, seems the e Werk is the leading contender at the moment.

Frere

« Reply #74 on: 20 January, 2012, 11:01:49 pm »
Well Feline, had a quick browse over in that yonder CTC forum and seems that e-Werk works fine with the iPhone 4, and the iPhone 4S, no cache battery needed. Here's the thread

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54604&hilit=E+Werk

and there is mention also of this switch:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150485793054#ht_753wt_898

So, seems the e Werk is the leading contender at the moment.

Frere

Don't get me wrong, you can charge up your iPhone from the cache battery/USB charger itself. This works especially well in aircraft mode where the phone isn't using so much power. However if you try to use the iPhone as a navigation device continuously it's current drain is so high you will have problems charging it back up at the rate you are draining it. I understood from your post you wanted to use the iPhone in this way rather than just keeping it charged for the odd phonecall etc.