Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3814185 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22675 on: 17 September, 2019, 10:23:22 am »
Both, I suppose.  The one along the canal was touted as a wonderful new cycle path when it was opened.  Back then you could do around 50k on it with nary a bump. Nowadays, 'nuff said.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #22676 on: 17 September, 2019, 02:33:03 pm »
Off work this week, the kids are at school, Mrs B's at work and the sun is shinning, good opportunity for a long ride.

Or at least that was the plan; a few miles from my planned lunch stop at Rothbury I stopped to take a photo at a Ford (see the splendid Ford gallery), and while rummaging in the saddlebag realised I'd forgotten my wallet :facepalm: I still managed a very respectable 55 mile outing but there's no way I could have ridden my planned 90 mile route on nothing more than a bowl of wheetabix.

« Reply #22677 on: 17 September, 2019, 02:35:35 pm »
I should start keeping an emergency £20 note in my puncture kit.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #22678 on: 21 September, 2019, 01:38:11 pm »
A nice 53km solo slow poke rendezvous ride to meet my local cycling club at the usual sat morn cafe.

First proper road ride for my since my abdominal surgery in July (laparotomy for twisted bowel), so I figured a nice steady solo run was just what I was needing.

I joined up with the club run for a short while on the way home, then tailed off to take a slow & steady run home. Certainly I found the new +17 degree stem a lot more comfy, than my old 100mm +6 degree one.    :thumbsup:

My last cycling club run was on the 7th of July, I had no cake, and I ended up in hospital with the twisted bowl the next day!  :o Cakeage was consumed today, so fingers crossed no ill effects. 

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #22679 on: 21 September, 2019, 07:14:57 pm »
Went out to Little RIbston (between Wetherby and Knaresborough on the B6164) to watch the 2019 Yorkshire Paracycling International head through.

4 different types of machine were in use (DF bike, DF Trike, Tandem (Blind/Visually Impaired stoker, sighted captain!) and Hand Trike) with several classifications for each machine for both men and women. Some amazing athletes were riding and competing hard for Tokyo 2020 Paralympic qualification points.

I believe the word "Inspiring" may have been used by the (small) crowd gathered by the barriers in the middle of the village. Every rider got applause and a cheer, no matter where they came from. Cracking day out in pretty near perfect weather (apart from the headwind home, but you can't have everything!!  ;) )

On the ride home I bumped into a couple from one of the other clubs from York and we had a mini-paceline going down the B1224 to Rufforth, before peeling off onto the newly surfaced Bridleway into Knapton (and York). The bridleway has been surfaced with the right-hand side (heading to York) done with tarmac (for the cyclists) and the other side done with earth and sand (for the horses).

Total distance for the day: 51.10km.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #22680 on: 21 September, 2019, 07:43:56 pm »
With tomorrow's forecast looking decidedly dodgy, I brought forward my usual Sunday run and went up to the Windmill Coffee Shop above Millhouse Green. Set off in chilly fog, took off a layer when the sun broke through after about an hour, and stopped to take a photo. I was first cyclist to the café, but there were a dozen or so by the time I left. There were two or three e-bikes, including that of local hero Brian Robinson, (TdF stage winner in 1958?), well into his eighties now, but still enjoying a ride with his mates with the aid of a few electrons. Super views on the way home, where I learned from Strava that I'd ridden 61 km, gained 938m, and even done a PB up the Millhouse climb. Wonderful.  Pity summer has to end.

« Reply #22681 on: 22 September, 2019, 03:58:06 pm »
Last sunday on a week-end with friends, too many drinks on saturday night, a bad night sleep, I set off at 7am before dawn. The temperature was mild, everything quiet, a very nice moment. I reached the sea shore by sun rise. Next was a gentle stroll along the coast, some head wind, but a fantastic time. Summer is over now, I'm glad I could nick this bit before it went away.

« Reply #22682 on: 22 September, 2019, 06:17:51 pm »
Having met, we agreed to cancel a group ride and go our separate ways, due to a dire afternoon forecast by the Met office. This included a 90% chance of downpours with thunder and accessories between 1.00 and 4pm with this causing some driving hazards. In the event there was a short shower in the morning for a about five mins and some heavyish rain for a while around 2:30pm for half an hour or so. Ho hum, what a waste. Apparently Autumn is to arrive next week.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22683 on: 29 September, 2019, 11:15:01 am »
Sunny today after a week of rain. Set out for coffee hole, tree down across cycle path, lifted bike over, dodgy sacroiliac went pop again. Did another 5k, pain too much, turned back. Had to lift bike over tree again.  Home with 35k on counter and a grudge against the whole bloody world. Sun's still shining. Fckit. :(

ETA not no more it isn't, it's tipping down. ;D ;D ;D

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #22684 on: 29 September, 2019, 04:03:07 pm »
67km with my local cycling club today!  :thumbsup:

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #22685 on: 01 October, 2019, 07:34:59 pm »
Managed a 10 miler late afternoon between the downpours to pick up a couple of freebies from a fellow YACFer. Had it not been for this incentive I don't think I'd have made it out of the house today.   
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #22686 on: 05 October, 2019, 09:24:42 pm »
Treadled across 'Ull today, forecast for a Sunday ride here is "aquatic". Sorted phone at phone shop, chatted to interested public about my trike.
Had a tasty cholesterol fill at Neise's Diner, sugar overdose at the Rolling Pin, Hedon, and arrived warm and exercised home about two-ish with about forty miles behind.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #22687 on: 05 October, 2019, 09:42:32 pm »
Did the usual London - Windsor - London run with the mob. Unfortunately it seems my rear tyre now has a humongous bulge in both sidewalls after only fitting it in July. Though to be fair I have actually sewn it back together after a very bad slash... Oh well :(
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #22688 on: 05 October, 2019, 11:59:39 pm »
Went out for the 1st 200km audax in at least 8yrs!
Was actually 221km but was a good ride (Nick Wilkinsons 4 counties perm done in reverse).
Front derailleur cable decided to pull through the outer at around the 100km mark but the bike still rolls along at 35-40kph on the smaller front ring.
Stopped at 170km to turn strava on as the gps battery was empty, stepped off the bike to double hamstring cramp. That was an interesting couple of minutes  ;D

10hrs out and moving time of 7hrs42m, happy with that  :D
Also just noticed this ride has taken me past last years mileage total and also over the 10 miles per day avg for the year  :thumbsup:

My knees ache!!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22689 on: 06 October, 2019, 12:04:32 am »
10hrs out and moving time of 7hrs42m, happy with that  :D

:thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22690 on: 07 October, 2019, 04:27:23 pm »
Quick 48k to stop the mitochondrion population joining the snows of yesteryear. Coffee & apricot tart at halfway. Miserable weather, clouds coming apart at seams and stuffing falling out. Now basking in afterglow while rigor mortis sets in.

« Reply #22691 on: 11 October, 2019, 11:32:38 am »
To Marlow and back so that fuzzy at saddle Safari could fit a alfine 8 hub gear. I have stopped in a cafe in Bourne end before finding a hill to play on the way home  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #22692 on: 11 October, 2019, 03:07:43 pm »
Managed th6 1i 7 OK. I have lost approx 1mph ave speed but the gears are much quitier than the dual drive.  :)
the slower you go the more you see

essexian

« Reply #22693 on: 13 October, 2019, 07:45:10 am »
As I was off to a football match in Wolverhampton yesterday afternoon, I thought I would take a ride down the disused railway line path which runs from that City down towards Womborne/Himley. Having checked photos of the route I thought that my CX bike would be suitable but in a second of madness, decided to take my MTB instead.....

Well it turns out that an MTB was not the right bike for the job.... no, I needed a Fat Bike as the path was so muddy that I spent most of the time slipping around and came close to coming off a couple of times. Thus: NOTE TO SELF: stick to riding on the road, its much more fun and less dangerous than heading off road!

In the end, I gave up after 3 miles and turned around to return to the football ground. I will return next summer when the path should have dried out but currently, its not a route for me although there are lots of nice things to see along the route including an excellent bridge that I will post a photo of in the correct section in a bit.

Oh.... and the football was good with Warstone Wanderers winning 4-3 on penalties after a Nil Nil draw against Hanley Town Reserves.

« Reply #22694 on: 13 October, 2019, 03:19:26 pm »
First ride in 9 weeks or more with my broken clavicle.  We are probably moving house for my wife's work so this was a chance to test a commuter route to the new house and back.
basically raining for the whole time.  Found the good bike rear tyre would not pump up so out came the fixed. Most of the route is on NCN 54 and 549 which is disused railway.  A lot of standing water and 3 sets of gates but reasonable surface.  I may have to invest in some slightly bigger tyres as the winter progresses.

I stopped for breakfast on the way back at "The Shed" in Hilton, Slowish service and the sausages were stodgy and tepid.  Latte was good though.

43.5km in 2hour 7 mins  not bad after the layoff.  Great to be back out again and the clavicle does not hurt at all

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22695 on: 13 October, 2019, 04:11:25 pm »
 :thumbsup:

---o0o---

Meanwhile, I haz done 101 km and had "cleans a big, big carpet" going round in my head since I got home. What's an order of mag when there's a jingle at stake?  Rather killing ride: it turned out that a road I had thought existed didn't and I had to divert via a succession of short sharp hills that left me gasping, which admittedly isn't hard these days.  Barely made it to my favourite patisserie before it closed, but they love me there and had no problems about feeding me twirly pastry things full of confectioner's custard and probably too much coffee. Half an hour's repose left me fully recovered only 75% dead so I was able to crawl home in fairly good order, despite the best efforts of some twat in a Peugeot to wipe me off the road while she was considerately overtaking a buggy & pair without slowing down or looking for oncoming cyclists. Bloke driving the buggy had a good laugh, stopped when I asked if he'd got her number - "no, why?"  There are some arseholes on God's green Earth.

Wildlife encountered: one pheasant (not common here, disdained by hunters - who needs 'em when you can bag boar all year round?), one buzzard not taking off from its post until I was up close. They always look as if they're wearing long underwear and want to cover it up quickly. Millions of bloody little flies with a fixation for gaping, gasping mouths.

That's about it. Now full of tea and recovery food (crystallized ginger, salami, chocolate), legs solidifying nicely.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #22696 on: 20 October, 2019, 05:06:02 pm »
Couple of hours around Bromley's quietest suburbia. Nothing special but as ever, better to ride than sack off the opportunity.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #22697 on: 20 October, 2019, 06:18:09 pm »
First ride in 9 weeks or more with my broken clavicle.  We are probably moving house for my wife's work so this was a chance to test a commuter route to the new house and back.
basically raining for the whole time.  Found the good bike rear tyre would not pump up so out came the fixed. Most of the route is on NCN 54 and 549 which is disused railway.  A lot of standing water and 3 sets of gates but reasonable surface.  I may have to invest in some slightly bigger tyres as the winter progresses.

I stopped for breakfast on the way back at "The Shed" in Hilton, Slowish service and the sausages were stodgy and tepid.  Latte was good though.

43.5km in 2hour 7 mins  not bad after the layoff.  Great to be back out again and the clavicle does not hurt at all
Due to closures elsewhere some of use have been using the cafe in Don Amott’s emporium in Hilton occasionally.  Very welcoming, decent food and excellent service.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #22698 on: 20 October, 2019, 06:34:30 pm »
Did a 130km ride to Brighton with 1600m climbing. I have lost fitness after my few weeks off the bike with the rib bruises and probably gained some weight. It didn't help that I was packing an audax bag full of repairs for new club members who didn't turn up because it was cold. Anyway I had a good ride. Bonkers about 3km before the 90km café stop but was right as rain after that and managed up the deacon without pushing.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #22699 on: 20 October, 2019, 06:39:11 pm »

Due to closures elsewhere some of use have been using the cafe in Don Amott’s emporium in Hilton occasionally.  Very welcoming, decent food and excellent service.

That was where I was planning a stop having been there with cycle Mickleover. However I passed the Shed and it had an award for best out of town cafe or something. Don Amott next time!