Author Topic: ***CoronaBonus***  (Read 64884 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: ***CoronaBonus***
« Reply #450 on: 22 July, 2020, 02:29:16 pm »
Result!

Local B&Q sold out of paint brushes, none due in the foreseeable future and cannot place customer orders for paint until end August.

"Decorating? Yes dear I'd love to, but, *sucks teeth* , you just can't get the parts."  :D

Actually it's not that great.   I'd dropped in to get some new brushes after the last round of (much needed) painting because mine (despite cleaning and cosseting over the years) really are past their best.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #451 on: 22 July, 2020, 05:05:43 pm »
Result!

Local B&Q sold out of paint brushes, none due in the foreseeable future and cannot place customer orders for paint until end August.

"Decorating? Yes dear I'd love to, but, *sucks teeth* , you just can't get the parts."  :D

Actually it's not that great.   I'd dropped in to get some new brushes after the last round of (much needed) painting because mine (despite cleaning and cosseting over the years) really are past their best.

Have you got a branch of Brewers near you? - our local one seems to be well-stocked . . . but process is arcane with "phone and collect" for non-trade account punters.  You could also try Screwfix (B&Q in another hat) for brushes.

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #452 on: 22 July, 2020, 05:18:18 pm »
I bought some brushes from Screwfix during the lockdown, and their stock was very patchy.

TheLurker

« Reply #453 on: 22 July, 2020, 09:05:13 pm »
Tried to buy a blow-torch head from Screwfix the other day.  It's gone all, "Have to order it on the web." to which my reply was, "No thanks. Good-bye."

I can eke a few more uses out of those I have so I daresay by the time I absolutely need new brushes they'll be back in stock. 

I'll have a dekko in one of the independent(ish) hardware shops tomorrow, see if they've got any.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #454 on: 23 July, 2020, 10:17:54 am »
Our independent hardware shop had brushes, and probably still does. Not too far from you, I think?
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #455 on: 23 July, 2020, 06:11:57 pm »
Needed to go this afternoon. It still has brushes  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #456 on: 23 July, 2020, 08:44:10 pm »
It seems there have been FAR fewer extremely premature babies born during lockdown, leaving the neonatologists who weren't redeployed on COVID duties happily yet bemusedly twiddling their thumbs, internationally.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #457 on: 23 July, 2020, 08:46:36 pm »
It seems there have been FAR fewer extremely premature babies born during lockdown, leaving the neonatologists who weren't redeployed on COVID duties happily yet bemusedly twiddling their thumbs, internationally.

I blame the comet :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #458 on: 23 July, 2020, 09:06:21 pm »
I blame 5G. Now we know it stands for 5th gestation.

(No, this doesn't really make sense, but don't think about it too hard. Just get me my fluorescent yellow racing facemask!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #459 on: 23 July, 2020, 10:52:09 pm »

I blame the comet :)

I have already blamed the comets for both Facebook friend's eye trouble (NEOWISE) and mine (Hale-Bopp)...

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #460 on: 24 July, 2020, 06:44:49 am »
Tried to buy a blow-torch head from Screwfix the other day.  It's gone all, "Have to order it on the web." to which my reply was, "No thanks. Good-bye."

I think that is a brialliant system. Order online, get a text within a few minutes saying it is ready to collect, walk in, walk away with stuff. I've ordered a couple of times while sitting in the car park, and it's taken no longer than going in opening the catalog, and writing numbers on bits of paper.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #461 on: 24 July, 2020, 07:54:31 am »

I think that is a brialliant system. Order online, get a text within a few minutes saying it is ready to collect, walk in, walk away with stuff. I've ordered a couple of times while sitting in the car park, and it's taken no longer than going in opening the catalog, and writing numbers on bits of paper.

Agreed - I can order from home - get on the bike/in the car depending on goods to be collected and 10 minutes to Screwfix (2/3 of that downhill  :thumbsup:) and ready for collection.  BUT some quite surprising items aren't in stock and are 2/3 days from the warehouse - wanted a box of "trade rated" i.e. big seller screws yesterday and have to wait until Monday for them.

Rob

TheLurker

« Reply #462 on: 24 July, 2020, 08:33:22 am »
Quote from: tonycollinet
Quote from: TheLurker
I think that is a brialliant system....
Fair enough, you like it.  I don't and until and unless Screwfix go back to their old system (highly unlikely) they won't be getting my custom.  I have no intention of giving companies my telephone number, e-mail address and inside leg measurement when all I want from them is a bag of nuts and bolts.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #463 on: 29 July, 2020, 10:51:20 am »
For the first time in living memory the man at #22 Fort Larrington Road has all three of his household's vehicles parked on his drive instead of leaving his Mitsubishi Wankpanzer on the verge/pavement.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #464 on: 30 July, 2020, 12:14:47 am »
Quote from: tonycollinet
Quote from: TheLurker
I think that is a brialliant system....
Fair enough, you like it.  I don't and until and unless Screwfix go back to their old system (highly unlikely) they won't be getting my custom.  I have no intention of giving companies my telephone number, e-mail address and inside leg measurement when all I want from them is a bag of nuts and bolts.

It works well as a way to mitigate the risk of spreading coronavirus, as it means people aren't hanging around in the shop fondling things.  I find it useful, because  - Screwfix's stock control being what it is - you can tell that they haven't got the bag of bolts you want before you leave the house.

When I was in the queueueue at ours during the lockdown, the guy on door duty was saying that they'd had some aggro from people who thought they'd get served without ordering online if they threatened him with violence.  You have to wonder about some people ...if you don't like it, go elsewhere.  It's not like the underpaid shop staff get to make these decisions.

TheLurker

« Reply #465 on: 30 July, 2020, 05:20:02 am »
Quote from: Kim
...if you don't like it, go elsewhere.  It's not like the underpaid shop staff get to make these decisions.
Aye.  The counter staff do have my sympathy.  They get grouchy old blokes (Me? Never :) ) turning up and they're the poor buggers who have to deal with it.

« Reply #466 on: 31 July, 2020, 09:24:21 pm »
Updated my washing machine app for the first time in a while. It's gained not one, but two new programmes!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #467 on: 31 July, 2020, 09:27:35 pm »
Your washer has an app?
WTTF...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #468 on: 01 August, 2020, 08:24:22 am »
If I’ve missed this above, apologies.

I just had a letter from Direct Line offering me some money back if, due to Coronavirus, my mileage since March has been significant less. The evidence required is very sensible and easy.

I’d say that’s very decent of them.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #469 on: 01 August, 2020, 02:33:05 pm »
10kg is an awful lot of masks. Is this a commercial laundry? Hospital?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #470 on: 01 August, 2020, 03:11:55 pm »
Your washer has an app?
WTTF...

It can even be controlled by Alexa (though I don't bother with that)! :o TBH, all I ever use the app for is to access a bigger range of programmes that can't be accessed via the actual machine, for washing waterproof stuff or down or whatever.

10kg is an awful lot of masks. Is this a commercial laundry? Hospital?

I wondered that! Given that out of two people in this household, only one uses reusable masks is me (partner finds disposables easier to breathe in, apparently), I can't see myself using it very often. ???

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #471 on: 22 October, 2020, 12:02:46 pm »
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #472 on: 23 October, 2020, 09:00:06 pm »
SO and I are hoping to get out of the annual trip to Bolton to see her (adoptive) father.  It is always as grim as the first four letters of Grimsby.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #473 on: 24 October, 2020, 09:50:27 am »
Got out of driving 50km to return a router to Orange by explaining on phone that we are old and frail and Haguenau teems with SARS-CoV-2. They're sending us a list of local drop-off points and return slip.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #474 on: 24 October, 2020, 10:03:25 am »
Got out of driving 50km to return a router to Orange by explaining on phone that we are old and frail and Haguenau teems with SARS-CoV-2. They're sending us a list of local drop-off points and return slip.

Gotta say I found the Limousin 'Boutique'* extremely helpful when returning my router last year.  They gave me a time-stamped letter confirming receipt and termination.

Orange then continued to bill me as if nothing happened despite phoning them.  Then they sold the debt to a debt collector!  I told them they had been duped and would get nothing out of me.  It was nearly as bad as checking out of the Hotel California.

My neighbours whose French is worse than mine failed to get a receipt for some reason and Orange pursued them for payment in England. 

* more local agents had ceased to work for Orange - I wonder why?
Move Faster and Bake Things